Heathrow and BA Oddity

sammieuk1

Had an odd experience at T5 last week on arriving after scanning my passport to confirm it was me at the remote terminals it then asked me to scan my visa and visa number something I have never been asked to do before

I'm on a retirement visa for the last 4 years and here this time for 4 months anyway it refused to scan and printed out a seek assistance note when I eventually tracked down someone to sort it out I asked why was I asked for a visa scan she said it was because I was living in Thailand something I have always avoided saying to anyone as I am just a guest here and can be removed on a whim visa or no visa and use the NHS.

So on to my point do you think UK immigration is starting to link entry and exit and length of stay in and out for any purpose? namely NHS and Pensions or is this just a BA carrier requirement your thoughts and experiences welcome.       

This is very interesting and, yes, I think it is linked to the resident requirements for the NHS. I may need treatment in the UK in the future and have been considering flying Thailand to France and then enter the UK overground. Of course Brexit may change this. I can't see the NHS hooking up to French immigration.

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

she said it was because I was living in Thailand

How did they know you had been in Thailand? or how long?

It can't have been your flight, you may have been starting from China or the Philippines via Bangkok.

Did you get a passport renewed in Thailand?

I have zero connection to Thailand, no banking, no cards, just an occasional flight.

Edited by BritManToo

10 minutes ago, grollies said:

This is very interesting and, yes, I think it is linked to the resident requirements for the NHS. I may need treatment in the UK in the future and have been considering flying Thailand to France and then enter the UK overground. Of course Brexit may change this. I can't see the NHS hooking up to French immigration.

Agree its a bit of a worry just need to stay under the radar as much as possible I keep seeing a Dr get flu and pneumonia jabs get my meds and someone to collect it whilst I'm not there all still ok now "but"???? 

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How did they know you had been in Thailand?

I'm hoping its simply just flight return to the UK end of September but I have never been asked to scan my visa before and its a UK sourced passport ????

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How did they know you had been in Thailand? or how long?

It can't have been your flight, you may have been starting from China or the Philippines via Bangkok.

I have zero connection to Thailand, no banking, no cards, just an occasional flight.

And all the stamps in your passport, not to mention all the Thai immigration stamps?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, grollies said:

And all the stamps in your passport, not to mention all the Thai immigration stamps?

Yeah, but the scanner wouldn't see 'stamps', it only reads his ID chip, and it flagged there being a problem before a human saw his passport.

I'm always careful about my data trail, never used a credit card or bank card except in the Philippines and the UK. Never made any bank transfers, I always use 3rd party money movers. Renewed my passport in the UK using the 2 hour service, so nobody had copies of my last passport, no direct flights to or from the UK. no hold luggage, remove labels on my hand luggage as I exit the plane. Never post anything showing my location on facebook, use a profile name and photo not connected to me. web based email so my IP isn't tracked. But then I'm totally paranoid about my privacy and my location in the world.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but the scanner wouldn't see 'stamps', it only reads his ID chip, and it flagged there being a problem before a human saw his passport.

I'm always careful about my data trail, never used a credit card or bank card except in the Philippines and the UK. Never made any bank transfers, I always use 3rd party money movers. Renewed my passport in the UK using the 2 hour service, so nobody had copies of my last passport, no direct flights to or from the UK. no hold luggage, remove labels on my hand luggage as I exit the plane. Never post anything showing my location on facebook, use a profile name and photo not connected to me. web based email so my IP isn't tracked. But then I'm totally paranoid about my privacy and my location in the world.

"use a profile name and photo not connected to me."

Damn, and there was me thinking it was you in your profile picture.

• Haha 1