My online income has made me more critical of Thailand

simon43

Pro tip: 

Actually check the TAX laws of other countries if you receive online income,dividends and co, there are NOT many other countries with a territorial tax regime and you will lose a lot of money there if you want to stay legal.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm thinking of leaving as well. It's not that I want to move, or that I can't comply with the visa requirements. No, it is simply that I don't want to comply with all these asinine requirements that the idiots in immigration keep dreaming up, and because Thai law seems to consider me to be a high risk potential criminal, simply because I was born somewhere else. It is getting me down. My father was Irish so I can get an Irish passport with a short vacation to Ireland. Moving to the South of France has always appealed to me. My issue is my Thai partner....I am crazy about her and we have been together for a long time...but we are not married, because I am married to someone else. 

Maybe I'll try the Philippines or Viet Nam instead. Or maybe I'll move from the OA visa for retirement to an O visa and do border runs.

Vietnam and Philippines are great options, depending on what matters to you most/least.  Don't give up, things somehow have a way of working out.  

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Eu citizens don't need VISAs for other EU countries, we can just move around as we like, even the healthcare is free (with an EHIC card).

That doesn't help JT as an American though, I guess he could move to Israel without a VISA.

Needless to say, not EVERYONE reading/participating in this thread here is an EU citizen who can travel to Spain and elsewhere cheap and easy!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Needless to say, not EVERYONE reading/participating in this thread here is an EU citizen who can travel to Spain and elsewhere cheap and easy!

And after Brexit it will be even less, that privilege will be lost ????

17 hours ago, Denim said:

Maybe . I'll ask around for you.

exactly, does it matter what someone else is doing? its what you want that matters. if your following someone else, esp a stranger, its unlikely to be your orbit.

really dont get these posts. i guess its just venting.

• Like 2

Interesting topic.

Also EU citizen here and are considering if I will stay here full time in Thailand when I retire or perhaps live somewhere else part time. As it is now I am gone 6 month per year for oil offshore work.

There are many nice spots in EU.

I am still quite happy in Thailand, and I don't mind putting 400k in a bank account and forget about it.

Having 2 places in 2 different countries sounds nice but it complicates matters, likely better rent when going to EU and you can forget about it when going back to Thailand. 

Or you can do as below which sounds awesome:

Interesting article in BBC news about people buying a motor-home and getting "lost";

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48405631

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have never been tied to Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.

I moved here in my early fifties a few years after I retired. I chose Thailand because it seemed like the best of a pretty bad lot for retirement. It offers an easy and cheap (for me) retirement visa solution, excellent income tax treatment, fairly good value accommodation, reasonable infrastructure, decent food from many nationalities, reasonable shopping.

I never liked the heat/humidity and I like it less and less as the years go by. Aircon solves that one.

I dont like the noise and the pollution and the traffic either, though I manage to avoid most of them.

I dont like the high prices for imports and wine/beer, but I'm not an alcoholic so it doesnt worry me much.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in bars and hookers, or in forming any sort of personal relationship with any Thai or indeed anyone else. So no worries there.

Where I am in Jomtien also offers very easy access to a major international airport which is of interest to me as one of the things I do in retirement is travel. For this reason other places in Thailand would interest me much less to live in.

Other nearby countries are fairly attractive in some ways - notably Vietnam for the climate - but they all have their own downsides of one sort or another.

I think that if I did go to live somewhere else it would probably be Portugal (not the Algarve), and not one day goes by without me wondering whether I should make the move soon. When Brexit subsides I will see more clearly.

I chose Thailand because it seemed like the best of a pretty bad lot for retirement. It offers an easy and cheap (for me) retirement visa solution, excellent income tax treatment, fairly good value

:cheesy:

and nothing to do with pussy right ? :cheesy:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mike787 said:

Sure!  If you are an investor you would not be asking. So let me pull out my crayons and explain.  Here are the financial FACTS (not my fairy tales).   

Step 1. Grab "any" amortization investemnt calculator.

Step 2. plug in your values you are to invest, ie 800K baht or 400K.

Step 3. Fact the S&P 500 since inception has returned 10-11% compound interest per year.  That is a minimum ROI (return on initial investment).  Berkshire Hathaway, BRKA or BRKB stock trading symbol (warren buffet, 3rd richest man) has generated 20% average since inception beating the S&P 500.  (you with me so far?).  Even investing 800 or 400K into a bond fund that matched inflation at about 2-3% is better than Zero which is what you get for leaving your money in a Thai bank.  Your are not even beating inflation.  That perhaps doesn't not matter to you. Excellent!  Stop reading at this point.  

Ok. step 4. you plug in all those parameters.  

Step 5. Determine the amortized period of time.  That is subjective, however it can be as short as 1 year or as long as you like.  The value generated will show the amount of money your initial investment of the (laundered) funds to the Thai bank 800/400K could have generated BUT did NOT because your ROI was ZERO.  The Thai banks made money on your funds (or did what they want) that you provided. 

To help you see the light, or NOT is your choice.  I personally (no offense) do not care what you do with your money because it is yours.  My position is only about "informed consent"  

https://www.calculator.net/investment-calculator.html

RE:  BRKA performance relative to S&P 500...just google for more fairy tales...LOL! 

I can continue, but will choose not too.  Likely your are very happy with your choices...to continue would be to bore you, which I have exceeded at doing.

my time is too valuable to discuss "investments" pertaining to the peanuts amount of THB 800k throwing in "since inception", mutual funds (yuck!) and ol' Warren Buffet.

:smile:

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Speaking of Europe, Portugal looks pretty good and yes I've been there. Their financial levels for retirement residence eligibility are significantly LESS than for Thailand! 

The problem is that Portugal is under pressure, from the EU as well as from within, to remove the 10 years income tax exemption they currently grant to retirees who settle there. Income tax is a deal breaker for me, it would cost me a lot more than any useless, redundant health insurance in Thailand.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 2

Having made a brief check, it seems to me that living on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees is better as regards minimising tax liabilites, (if one wants to ... erhum ... do things legally..).

Living in Andorra is a better option to minimise tax liabilities, although there are some taxes.  I used to live in Andorra, (still have a bank account there), and I'm currently in touch with an agent over there who is bringing me up to date as regards residency requirements etc.  (The official language is Catalan, which I always found a little more difficult than Spanish ==> to many letter 'x' in the words!).

• Like 2

You think Brexit will happen?
And if it does happen it will cancel freedom of movement for Brits in Europe?
I hope it doesn't but many want it, i don't see anything positive in it tho.

There's for sure changes in freedom of movement IF it does and they don't reach some kind of deal.
I would think most EU countries would still accept retirees under some other visa option. That would entitle everyone else to do the same in britain tho, the deal can only be with the whole eu zone as discrimination against individual eu countries isn't allowed per eu laws - so i am not sure what the brexiters think about that.

But the uncertainty of those who are retired now and living in europe is there.
I have a brit friend who went to Thailand instead of Portugal [emoji848]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Seems to be plenty of places advertised ..........

One partly done for E11,500

https://www.french-property.com/sale-property/1439-Xa102171

Very interesting. 

That property could easily be done up quite nicely and made into something decent. 

Not everyone's cup of tea, but interesting nonetheless. 

Thanks for sharing. 

agree with op wholeheartedly but wrt spain side over france side.

ive been doing 6 mths here and 6 mths around the pyrenees and each year the 6 mths in thailand gets less and less enjoyable.

rich friends are oblivious to it all and poor friends are too busy working or numbing themselves with tv or other crap.

unfortunately for us, my dad sold his spanish place this march, just after our awesome skiiing trip so we got 1 last month in...

now im looking at decent motorhomes to carry on the eu adventure b4 i get too stuck here.

having kids makes all the difference, once their educational needs are finalised im gonna carry on as previous but with considerably less focus on thailand, its becoming simply unpleasant & unliveable unless you can isolate yourself from the 99%...

@op - whereabouts are you in isaan, we're heading to korat imm tomorrow as theyre that much more reasonable than chaeng wattana, id rather do a 1 night away trip than deal with them!

so if ur anywhere near and fancy a quick bonjour/buen dia, feel free to pm me!!

@edgarfriendly, I'm right up by the Mekong, so no chance to meet up.

Interesting that you mention a motor-home.  I would love to drive leisurely around the Pyrenees, but my online teaching job makes that a little impracticable.

20 hours ago, madmen said:

We all see what we want to see. I don't need a Thai to persuade me about anything thats for sure

Neither do I.. I was merely using an example of someone far from the 'grumbling farang' image as possible to emphasize its not a solo worldview.