My online income has made me more critical of Thailand

simon43

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Speaking of Europe, Portugal looks pretty good and yes I've been there. Their financial levels for retirement residence eligibility are significantly LESS than for Thailand! 

Hey Jing, you had that long thread about alternate locations/countries for expat living/retirement....

But one thing I don't remember ever seeing/reading in that long discussion was -- is there some entity/website that keeps kind of a central roster of what different countries offer retirement visa/stay programs, and what the details of those are???

You'd think, someone somewhere is keeping a compilation of such a thing. But I don't think I've ever seen/read a pointer to it here....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It is amazing that so many people, who would have never thought about leaving Thailand, are actually planning to do it.

I would be one of them except for marriage and family responsibilities. I first started coming to Thailand in 1971 and  after 3 Thai wives (not at the same time!)  the purchase of houses, condo,s and  so many trips to Immigration I would need a computer program to track-  the delight of Thailand has worn off.

It's not just the cost which has gone up with the lessening of value of major currencies- it is the combination of just so many things that have become less tolerable- traffic is bad and never getting better and the constant Kabuki dance at Immigration is so irritating.  Throw in the pollution and the bad weather (horrid heat) and  the fact that there is really not much real 'fun' in the country and one has to wonder why we still put up with it all.

If someone would have told  me even 10 years ago that I might consider leaving Thailand, I would have thought them  insane.

In my case- I will stick it out to the end as it would be impossible to take everyone I care about with me but I can dream along with the rest.

Southern France along the Spanish border sounds great.  I have often thought about Belize; Mongolia and even Cuba  Oh well, the next life maybe!!

Cheers to all.

Not many people think of Mongolia to retire. Have you been there in the winter? Which is pretty much October to the end of May, with temps as low as minus 50. The least inhabited country in the world. But a very tough country to live in....and that is from Mongolians. Amazing countryside, but sadly Ulan Bator is very polluted from coal burning and the traffic gets worse with the increasing uptick in the economy. But if you were tough enough you could live in a ger and be self sufficient out in the boonies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have 15 months before my Elite via expires.  Methinks I need to take a trip to the Pyrenees to see if it still lives up to my memories.

I agree.  You should.  If not married and supporting a family - I would no longer be here.  

• Like 1

Hey Jing, you had that long thread about alternate locations/countries for expat living/retirement....

But one thing I don't remember ever seeing/reading in that long discussion was -- is there some entity/website that keeps kind of a central roster of what different countries offer retirement visa/stay programs, and what the details of those are???

You'd think, someone somewhere is keeping a compilation of such a thing. But I don't think I've ever seen/read a pointer to it here....

Not that I'm aware of anywhere near the comprehensive way you describe. But it's a good idea. Of course all those details are a moving target. Thailand isn't the only country with fluid rules. I recall hearing recently from a Mexican immigration lawyer that their system hasn't even incorporated all the law changes made well over a decade ago. He also expects major changes under the new leftist government. And that's only Mexico!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Having looked into doing something similar concerning taxation (nomad / guest short stay and work legality) the issue is its highly dependent on the country the viewer of the information is from.. 

What the rule for an EU passport holder is, or for an 'ex colonies' to migrate to another country is so different than for each other nationality. 

5 minutes ago, connda said:

I agree.  You should.  If not married and supporting a family - I would no longer be here.  

So your personal decisions/choices have altered what you really want to be doing with your life?

Very sorry to hear that..

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Thai people always smile at me because I always smile.  But I'm getting an 'itch' to experience more locations before I die ????

Being in a village in a stonehouse teaching English seems like a true dream come true.

Please go and report back ( which no one seems to do for some reason).  Otherwise, it is just another I am disenchanted and thinking of leaving let's pile on Thailand thread.

I choose to be here and choose to not leave.

No commitments or marital mistakes thank you. Just my choice to stay I actually like the place.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not that I'm aware of anywhere near the comprehensive way you describe. But it's a good idea. Of course all those details are a moving target. Thailand isn't the only country with fluid rules. I recall hearing recently from a Mexican immigration lawyer that their system hasn't even incorporated all the law changes made well over a decade ago. He also expects major changes under the new leftist government. And that's only Mexico!

I think one of the reasons the Plan B discussions here always seem to center around the Phils, Cambodia, Vietnam etc., apart from them being nearby, is those are local places people here are more familiar with.

But ask me, and I have NO CLUE what kind of retirement options exist in Central or South America, or even in Europe/Eastern Europe, or the French Pyrenees for that matter!

It seems kind of hard to find that kind of info on a country by country basis -- especially when the details that you might read on some country's foreign ministry website may or may not jive with the actual practice and requirements on the ground there.

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Yes if one studies the weather including cloud cover and dew point one can see that Phuket is cooler than northern thailand and certainly has cleaner air.

very wet and humid though, much more than even Pattaya in my experience.

56 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The same reason there is no organization of Immigration rules by office.  Or the restaurant is always on the top floor of the department store.  

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I see WikiTravel has the following list:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Retiring_abroad

I didn't know, hadn't heard, that Spain has a retirement visa... I had only heard of EU folks talking about moving there in past discussions here.

If accurate, this info below for Spain seems pretty reasonable in financial terms:

How to Retire in Spain: Residency

For temporary residency in Spain, you’ll want to get yourself a long-stay visa, or visado nacional. This will allow you to live full-time in the country and provides way more benefits than a tourist visa. A long-stay visa allows you to work, study, retire or live in the country for an indefinite amount of time. You’ll need to live in Spain at least six months out of the year to maintain your visa. You must also renew the visa annually.

Since you’re probably looking for a relaxing retirement in Spain that doesn’t include clocking in and out, you can instead apply for a residence visa, or visado residencia. This visa does not permit you to work in the country. You will need to prove that you have the means to support yourself and any dependents while you live in Spain without working. You can do this by providing evidence of a certain minimum monthly income like pensions and investment statements. Typically, you’ll need to prove you’ll have at least roughly $2,500 and $532 per dependent coming in each month.

To get your visa process started, visit your local Spanish embassy or consulate. Each application can cost around $200 in fees.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/how-to-retire-spain

BTW, I also checked the details on New Zealand, since they were on the list of retirement visa programs above... And not surprisingly, the NZ program requires a not so small fortune of money to buy in, up into the $1 million plus range.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

True, if you have a freelance business registered in France.  But I would not and would continue my online teaching into China, getting paid into my Thai Paypal account.  A quick online check suggests that if I declared this offshore income to the French tax authorities,  then I would have to pay about 1,700 GBP per year on my 30,000 GBP income.

Sounds reasonable.

Simon, if too personal then sorry. But ive noticed for a few years i guess that you earn a very decent salary but live very frugally. 3000bht rent etc. What are you saving for? You must be worth a fortune and i can only see someone inheriting and spending all your wealth.  Why do you do it?

• Like 1