My online income has made me more critical of Thailand

simon43

The hot months are certainly getting less pleasant and becoming a problem. I have been looking around for an alternative in the region, the coolest part of Thailand in those months looks like Phuket. Possibly you would differ.?

Your comments on living costs in rural France are interesting, not really keen on three punishing hot months again next year.

• Like 2

Accomodation is still cheap here and so is food...I can cook a meal for 4 at a cost of 60 Baht, no chance of doing that in Europe. Cheese and other Foreign goods can be expensive of course. Your 100,000 Baht a month wont go anywhere near as far as it does here. Lets not forget all the taxes n Europe, property/council tax, petrol is expensive, utilities etc. Im stuck here but certainly PI or even Portugal when Im older

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My stone barn house cost 15,000 euro to buy outright (1 rai of garden).  I checked recently and similar stone barns for DIY conversation are still available at the same price.... (Note - this is a very basic barn to convert with strong DIY skills [which I have from building my little hotels in Phuket] - but being built of stone, it will outlast my lifetime).

I'll go halves with you one one, money and labour, we can camp while we build.

I'm great at traditional stonework, plumbing, wiring and tiling but total shit at plastering and painting.

Been trying to convince a couple of pals to do this with me for the past two years, but one is dying, and the other isn't really interested. Don't fancy taking on the whole project alone.

Got my EHIC card somewhere, valid until next summer.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowbird in Thailand, but future (continuous) stay no longer looking as attractive as it used to.

Would like to do the same as you are considering, but in the Southern Appenines.

Used to be Plan A, but got....."distracted".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'll go halves with you one one, money and labour, we can camp while we build.

I'm great at traditional stonework, plumbing, wiring and tiling but total shit at plastering and painting.

Been trying to convince a couple of pals to do this with me for the past two years, but one is dying, and the other isn't really interested. Don't fancy taking on the whole project alone.

Got my EHIC card somewhere, valid until next summer.

Sounds like fun. Shame that I don't have an DIY skills or I'd be in too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rott said:

The hot months are certainly getting less pleasant and becoming a problem. I have been looking around for an alternative in the region, the coolest part of Thailand in those months looks like Phuket. Possibly you would differ.?

Your comments on living costs in rural France are interesting, not really keen on three punishing hot months again next year.

Yes if one studies the weather including cloud cover and dew point one can see that Phuket is cooler than northern thailand and certainly has cleaner air.

• Like 1