Effusive Trump promises Britain a "phenomenal" post-Brexit trade deal

webfact

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Many British expats on this forum have no access to the NHS anyway so what have they to lose?

(I do not believe the 'doom and gloom' you lot are peddling!)

Well of course they do not when they are in Thailand.

But very many British expats return to the UK when they need medical care. 

I personally know four British expats that have done this in the past 18 months, and over the years I have been in Thailand very many more who did likewise. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

And those negotiators in the EU will be shaking in their boots and do a good deal with the UK for Brexit just to show Trump.

Edit.

Just checked. It leaped from 38.5 to 39.5 ( mid rate )

:cheesy:

Once more trying to explain that negotiations are over  ???? , "schluss , ended , fini , finito "....even the E.U. negotiation team is dissolved...and assigned to other E.U. duties !

There is now only the running extension  or May's deal , or revoke ….and of course leaving with no deal ...:coffee1:

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

IMO, many politicians have been looking to privatise the NHS for a long time now ..... ☹️

So far, they've managed to move in a horde of administrators/appalling private contractor deals etc., but not privatisation - as they know this would go down like a lead weight with the majority of the electorate.

I don't see things changing on this front in the near future.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

You seriously believe that even our uk politicians would sell off the NHS to the USA to privatise ????

Talk about suicide when it came to the next GE!

Yes, project fear at it's best.....

31 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Well obviously they wouldn't do it openly, they are not that stupid, it would be death by a 1000 cuts. Indeed the process is already well underway. NO it would be project fear if remainers said it, but your own side said it - openly, blatantly, undeniably, clearly, out in the open for all to see. Farage, Trump, the US ambassador, all supported by an embarrassed silence of senior Tory Brexiteer politicians who did nothing to deny it. That's not fear, that's reality, work out the difference - take your time.

I agree to a certain extent, hence my comments.

But those "1000 cuts" aren't going to happen in any trade deal with the US in the near future.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

"death by a 1000 cuts"

Sadly, I think you may well be right, but that doesn't mean uk politicians will be stupid enough to agree to this in any deal with the US (US in capitals not 'cos I have any respect - purely 'cos it can be misread otherwise.)

Its part of 'project fear' as per the following post.....

'Project fear' was that the US would demand the NHS be part of any trade deal. 

This wasn't based on mere 'fear mongering' it was based on the fact that the US had already attempted and failed to include US access to EU nation health services in its negotiations for a trade deal with the EU. 

Very clearly the US has its eyes on gaining access to EU and UK health services for US businesses, it was only the combined bargaining power of the EU that prevented that from happening.

Now, as predicted by 'project fear' the UK is in a very weak position desperation building for a post Brexit trade deal and the President of the US has categorically  stated that the NHS shall be part of any trade deal. 

You're response, with your frequently professed cynicism and distrust of politicians you come out with ' but that doesn't mean uk politicians will be stupid enough to agree to this in any deal with the US'

Well I guess switching off your distrust and cynicism is a lot easier for you than admitting that the weak bargaining position the UK finds itself in, and the weak hand the UK has to play with the US is a direct result of Brexit. 

Good luck with your hopes that a Tory government will defend the NHS from US health corporates, one of the most powerful lobbies in Washington.

The bitter irony, it turns out the NHS is such a central part of Brexit. 

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

Once more trying to explain that negotiations are over  ???? , "schluss , ended , fini , finito "....even the E.U. negotiation team is dissolved...and assigned to other E.U. duties !

There is now only the running extension  or May's deal , or revoke ….and of course leaving with no deal ...:coffee1:

I hope you're right insofar as the only option is to genuinely leave.

But perhaps I misread your post as to your favourite option ????.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I hope you're right insofar as the only option is to genuinely leave.

But perhaps I misread your post as to your favourite option ????.

I would prefer the leave option , as I make us both  happy :biggrin:…. but I could live with the "vassal deal" :tongue: contribute , trade and shut up & no say :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, david555 said:

You're taking my post as being serious.??

The whole thing is the biggest joke going.

Edit.

Some of the best and funniest posts on Brexit are yet to come if and when it happens with deal or no deal.

Can't wait for all the  I said that would happen/wouldn't happen claims from all the self proclaimed political experts.

I have more important things to take seriously, my ingrowing toenail for one.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This wasn't based on mere 'fear mongering' it was based on the fact that the US had already attempted and failed to include US access to EU nation health services in its negotiations for a trade deal with the EU. 

Very clearly the US has its eyes on gaining access to EU and UK health services for US businesses, it was only the combined bargaining power of the EU that prevented that from happening.

Now, as predicted by 'project fear' the UK is in a very weak position desperation building for a post Brexit trade deal and the President of the US has categorically  stated that the NHS shall be part of any trade deal. 

You're response, with your frequently professed cynicism and distrust of politicians you come out with ' but that doesn't mean uk politicians will be stupid enough to agree to this in any deal with the US'

Well I guess switching off your distrust and cynicism is a lot easier for you than admitting that the weak bargaining position the UK finds itself in, and the weak hand the UK has to play with the US is a direct result of Brexit. 

Good luck with your hopes that a Tory government will defend the NHS from US health corporates, one of the most powerful lobbies in Washington.

My understanding is the major issue would be US Pharma trying to impose it's US pricing models on the UK. However, trump is trying to back off on his claims, but wouldn't trust him or his UK lapdog.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/health-and-care/nhs/news/104354/donald-trump-u-turns-claim-nhs-would-be-table-uk-us-trade

Some breaking news ...

https://news.sky.com/story/farage-could-be-banned-from-making-european-parliament-victory-speech-11735315

Farage could be banned from making European Parliament victory speech

The Brexit Party leader is refusing to appear in front of a "kangaroo court" looking into gifts allegedly from Arron Banks.

By Aubrey Allegretti, political reporter

Wednesday 5 June 2019 11:31, UK

Nigel Farage could be temporarily banned from the European Parliament, after he refused to give evidence to an investigation into whether he broke its funding rules.

The Brexit Party leader has been summoned to a committee on the "conduct of members" to answer why he did not declare gifts worth £450,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/04/eu-gives-nigel-farage-24-hours-to-explain-arron-banks-funds

EU gives Nigel Farage 24 hours to explain Arron Banks funds

European parliament summons Brexit party leader over failure to declare expenses

Nigel Farage has been given 24 hours by the European parliament to explain in person his failure to declare lavish expenses funded by Arron Banks, an insurance tycoon under investigation by the UK’s National Crime Agency.

The summons came just two hours before the Brexit party leader was spotted arriving at the US ambassador’s residence in London for a meeting with Donald Trump during the US president’s state visit to the UK.

Last month Channel 4 News revealed emails, invoices and documents suggesting that Banks had covered Farage’s costs for a £13,000-a-month Chelsea home in the year of the Brexit referendum, visits to the US and a chauffeur-driven car. Should Farage fail to convince the parliament of his reason for not declaring Banks’s funding, he could potentially lose the right to make a victory speech in the chamber in July as head of his parliamentary group.

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

While I agree Trump isn’t doing at all well with any international deal (trade or otherwise), but a post Brexit Britain will be far more desperate for a deal than Trump’s America.

We now know, because we have been told, there will be no deal with the US unless the UK’s NHS is included.

Given concerns over the NHS were so very central to the Brexit Leave Campaign and Brexit voters the trade of the NHS for Brexit cannot be seen as anything other than an act of self harm.

The ultimate prize of Brexit, loss of the UK’s most treasured public institution.

Well done!

Next week on Project Fear.........USA demands the Change UK Party be abolished to guarantee new trade deal!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

I heard that there were protests," Trump told reporters. "I said: 'Where are the protests? I don't see any protests'. I did see a small protest today when I came, very small, so a lot of it is fake news."

liar, liar burn on fire !!! maybe he was not in London thus couldn't see them,

Effusive Trump promises Britain a "phenomenal" post-Brexit trade deal

how can he make such out of context comments and keep a straight face, the Brexit process is not done, nobody knows how, when and if the deal will be completed, that's jumping the gun and it may bite him on the rear

7 hours ago, pegman said:

That's a good poodle. National Health is a small price to pay to make daddy happy. It's not like all Brits lose. Surely a few branch office higher up in American insurance companies will do well. A few at the top always do in the Yank system of business. The rèst have their bibles & guns to comfort them. 

You must be wetting your pants now. As Donald Trump has now actually denied any demand for our NHS to be included in any future trade deals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

For the second time today you respond to what Trump says by claiming he didn't say it. 

Hey but don't let a recorded facts get in the way of your denial.

Refer 2minutes 35 seconds through 2 minutes 50 seconds in the attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_0-hqiRHs

And your interpretation of that is? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Thairealist said:

You must be wetting your pants now. As Donald Trump has now actually denied any demand for our NHS to be included in any future trade deals.

maybe you missed the words, he did say, if we make a deal it will an everything deal, no cherry picking, that includes NHS, pharmacies....

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

maybe you missed the words, he did say, if we make a deal it will an everything deal, no cherry picking, that includes NHS, pharmacies....

Relentless misinterpretations. Carry On! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Relentless misinterpretations. Carry On! 

Trump becoming a Tory member and next year (may be)  running for PM, listen (carefully0  to his speech

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

Please keep up to date. Donald Trump does not expect the NHS to be included in any trade deal, in spite of ANOTHER scare story, coming out of the remoaners camp.

Trump makes a categorical statement then tries to walk it back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Let's see their accounts duly audited and signed off first & do their rules cover newly formed parties that aren't yet members & before the Parliament has actually sat? Somehow I doubt it & suspect they are once again making everything up on the hoof.

He must just come and explain why he as a present EU member parliament did not reported it …. that's all ….:wink: (nothing to do with new party !! accountancy ,it is about his recent status as E.U.mp obligations :cool: )

depending the outcome of that there are consequences or... none , this is also because Aaron Banks is under criminal investigations by the U.K ….:whistling:  So they must give it a closer look ….:tongue:

Edited by david555
  • Like 1