Retirement extension late

I reckon there's a 50% chance you might be able to get away with it and renew and a 50% chance you would have to start the process from the beginning again.

Either way, you would definitely have to pay the overstay fine.

p.s. Which office?

p.p.s. Take some Brand's Chicken Soup stuff and some excellent biccies.

Edited by Briggsy

You are already on overstay. 

A more lenient office might process it, a pedant one might give you a 7 day extension to get out.

Personally I would not like to give them the opportunity to put the squeeze on me and I would go to the airport, pay the fine and fly out. 

• Like 2

OP, important you use the correct terms to get the correct answer.

Do you mean expiry of an "enter before" date on an actual visa, an expiry of a stay stamp or an expiry of an extension of stay.

An extension, you dont have a visa that can be cancelled or extended.

Presume you mean an expired extension, if so it may come down the individual office, they may still let you do an extension a couple of days late. (a holiday last monday may go in your favor)

Edited by Peterw42

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, important you use the correct terms to get the correct answer.

Do you mean expiry of an "enter before" date on an actual visa, an expiry of a stay stamp or an expiry of an extension of stay.

An extension, you dont have a visa that can be cancelled or extended.

Presume you mean an expired extension, if so it may come down the individual office, they may still let you do an extension a couple of days late.

Peter, if an imm office refused to process it what would they do. Just send you on your way or.....

Jomtien.  I cut it fine with a retirement visa in march due to the IO telling me to start everything again on the day before expiry.   IO told me that i could pay overstay if i ran over.   Got it done on the last day.

So it's possible.   Depends where and who. I'm sure an agent could sort it.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Peter, if an imm office refused to process it what would they do. Just send you on your way or.....

Down to the individual office. I think most would probably do the extension, others may have you sleeping in the detention centre that night.

I recall there is some sort of grace period, whether official or un-official.

UJ will probably be along soon to clarify.

last year, good friend here in phuket was 2 days late when he went in,

His wife is tied to his retirement extension as well.

The officer asked him, how much it would be for both of them to fly to KL, apply for new visas, hotels, etc

Offered him a deal for 10,000 baht, (no receipt)  to make it all good

Whose says corruption is no good?

• Like 2

Some years ago a well know local expat on Phuket was one day late on his extension, ended up in the IDC and was deported. His excuse was that he was waiting for a new passport from his embassy. He was always quite vocal about local issues and may have upset the wrong people.

Becoming overstayed should be avoided.

2 hours ago, Rob5060 said:

What would be the situation if you applied for a retirement extension 3 days after its  expiry date

Most offices would do it with only 3 days.

I have read reports of people doing one with as much as 10 day overstay.

Immigration has even told people to overstay a few days to meet the 2 or 3 month requirement for the money in the bank. 

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has even told people to overstay a few days to meet the 2 or 3 month requirement for the money in the bank. 

So there are human IO's after all.

What I don't understand is why people walk on a razor's edge by either neglecting the seasoning requirements, or overstaying the visa or extension, when a bit of planning ahead avoids all the angst.

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, if someone blows past their extension expiry date for whatever reason and the local Immigration office won't give them the overstay grace period, what exactly would that mean?

Could they not simply apply for a new extension at that point assuming they meet all the requirements, albeit X days after the expiry of their prior extension?

Or, does having the extension expire without getting a new one in time somehow trigger the need to leave the country and apply for a new actual visa somewhere outside Thailand?

If the expired extension of stay was for marriage, couldn't the person then apply for a 60-day visa at Immigration on the basis of visiting their spouse, and then be able to later apply for a new extension of stay based on that visa?

But if the expired extension is a retirement based one, are there any options (besides dealing with an agent) to get things settled without having to leave the country???

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Joe, if someone blows past their extension expiry date for whatever reason and the local Immigration office won't give them the overstay grace period, what exactly would that mean?

There is no grace period for the overstay. The fine sill has to be paid.

If they refused to accept the application they could pay the 1900 fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country.

Then would have the leave the country to get a visa and start all over again.

If married to a Thai if the refused to accept the normal extension they would not do the 60 day extension either.

No way to get it sorted if they will not accept the application without leaving the country.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No way to get it sorted if they will not accept the application without leaving the country.

Thanks Joe...  Sounds like a bunch of good reasons for not being late for one's annual extension deadline.

As for alternatives....

1. Perhaps an agent and money might be one way to solve such a problem in country.

2. Failing that, if I had to leave the country and I met the actual criteria for an extension despite letting the prior one expire, I wonder if the quickiest, easiest way would be to leave and apply for a tourist visa at a nearby SE Asian country....

Then re-enter Thailand on the tourist visa, and then do the tourist visa to O visa conversion at Immigration, and then an extension based on retirement from there?  At least at BKK CW and the other misc offices that will process such conversions.