Welcome to Australia, will you be choosing electricity or food?!

<deleted>, put some more clothes on. Don't need heating in Australia, apart from Tassie. Used to see lots of Aussies walking around Adelaide in the middle of winter in shorts & T-shirt in the 'depths' of winter. I was wearing a hat & warm jacket.

• Like 1

And so the 'debate' goes: Some people see nothing good (perhaps because their own circumstances are - for reasons good or bad - not good); some see nothing bad (perhaps because they're doing just fine); and some - very few, it seems - manage to cope with complexity. (Yawn)

Edited by mfd101

It's a bloody travesty. I live in Oz and successive governments (for bloody decades and decades) have refused to plan, to implement adapting strategies across a whole range of vital national needs. 

One of the richest nations per capita and we don't yet have a high speed rail line (china has built about 5 in as many years!!!!), we continue to build roads and freeways, almost no light rail systems or modern inner city transit systems. Outrage, at suggestions, and gutless refusal by govt to act on climate change.

The myopic conservative nature of our governments has crippled this country.

The apathy of our people aid this. We have just voted in a closet right wing government that has racist, homophobe, xenophobes galore. No modern extremely low-emission coal fired power station have even been costed let alone built here while china and japan have produced dozen between them. Our energy bills have skyrocketed from a few hundred dollars a year to thousands a year. Blackout across who regions and states.

In the Murray River (our our largest) we recently has fish kill of millions upon millions of fish, and the environment minister at the time from the govt that was just re-elected has never visited the region!!!!!

Our Indigenous folks live in appalling poverty and degradation, dying at 4 times the rate of white folks. They still don't have the constitutional rights of a white person.

Our policies on asylum seeker/ refugees is a national shame. 

Advance Australia Fair ... bul...hit !!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
18 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

The national minimum wage will increase in Australia on 1 July 2018 by 3.5%. The new national minimum wage is $719.20 per week, for a 38-hour week,

right ... and that's great but 80% of young folk do not have a 38 hr week full time job.

Those days are gone ... history ....   17-28 yr olds do around 15-25 hours per week, believe me  I know ... I have seen it in Brisbane and Sydney .... so the minimum wage is BS .... it means nothing as most are not doing full time work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, dastott said:

<deleted>, put some more clothes on. Don't need heating in Australia, apart from Tassie. Used to see lots of Aussies walking around Adelaide in the middle of winter in shorts & T-shirt in the 'depths' of winter. I was wearing a hat & warm jacket.

Are you kidding me? Even in qld in winter its freezing. Maybe if you lived way up in the top end its ok but from brisbane down you certainly have winter woolies on.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I live in Perth near the city and pay for a 3 bedroom unit $240

Well done. Good luck getting that on eastern seaboard without living in crime central. But its still only $60 cheaper than i had. That wont buy you much. It would be a long slog to save for retirement.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:23 AM, steven100 said:

Australia has become one of the most expensive countries in the world and consumers largely have the Government to thank, new research suggests.

Bananas, books, cars, housing and retail are all areas where Australians are paying too much, according to Dr Hartwich.

"We are always told we are living in this miracle economy, the envy of the world, the one economy that survived the GFC, and it's all true, but ordinary consumers do not feel they are living in this blessed economy - they actually feel ripped off and overcharged," Dr Hartwich said.

Australia is more expensive than in New Zealand, the UK, France and the US.

...and it seems Australia May Well Be the World’s Most Secretive Democracy >>> Article

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

I left australia for good 10 years ago. As a single man it was just impossible to find affordable place to live. I used to work in the city but live in suburbs in a unit.

getting $800 a week. $120 for train to work per week. $300 for unit I was lucky to get as I knew the owner otherwise no chance being a single person. Car expenses getting to the train. Food. Utilities. Phone and internet. 

going out was a very rare thing. If having a beer you need to get ripped off in a taxi fare. Stupid laws where leaving your car unlocked gets you a fine of half your wages. They really do find ways to screw you.

i really pity those on a pension. Very sad what the country has become.

So glad I packed up and got out of there. Best move i ever made. 

$120  for train ticket ???

Wow , that is very  expensive ,I live about 40 klm from Melbourne and train ticket was not that expensive . I think I paid $5 a day for zone 3 years ago

Edited by kevvy
  • Thanks 1

Been following these threads

Sujo & Steve 001 I agree with

I have been traveling to & from Thailand for 10 yrs now (mostly monthly). Now that Auss has got much worse I have just come back after 4mths or so

You need at least $1000 clear to survive

Most jobs are Labor hire companies

As mentioned about rents - I would not get since not having a dwelling or rental property in 20 yrs (FIFO worker ), so am having to resort to Van Parks (pretty hard to find at reasonable cost ) to build up a reference.

I estimate (know) $350 p/w for rent 

$100 - $150 for food

$50 + for fuel (I have a very economical car ) - Fuel is the same price as LOS

Mobile phone costs (hope I can get free wifi ) 

They're the basics & pray that nothing happens elsewhere 

Then add your yearly costs 

I think I will see wife & son twice a year 

• Like 2
On 6/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, steven100 said:

Australia has become one of the most expensive countries in the world and consumers largely have the Government to thank, new research suggests.

Bananas, books, cars, housing and retail are all areas where Australians are paying too much, according to Dr Hartwich.

"We are always told we are living in this miracle economy, the envy of the world, the one economy that survived the GFC, and it's all true, but ordinary consumers do not feel they are living in this blessed economy - they actually feel ripped off and overcharged," Dr Hartwich said.

Australia is more expensive than in New Zealand, the UK, France and the US.

Auckland is not far behind- wages less, food more expensive...

1 hour ago, kevvy said:

$120  for train ticket ???

Im sure he meant for the whole week.

but nothing suprise me about that place.

when i was there some years ago it seemed impossible to do just a direct bus trip up the East coast.

Instead you are dropped off at many country stations, must buy tickets again and endless waiting. 

probably cost more than plane ticket in the end.

absolutely nightmare trip.

Even every 3rd world country i been to beats that place for public transport.

• Like 2

Australia’s crash has been a long time coming. How it’s been propped up over the last 10 years is a mystery to me.

people there are arrogant, rude and aggressive. I wouldn’t move back if you paid me.

regarding electricity bills, my ex wife put aud $10grand of solar panels. They will be paid off after 5 years. Her current electricity bill is about $60.

• Like 1

Since the Greens got any sort of Power in Australia the Whole Country and the people hsve suffered in 1 way or another

Seeing that it has become a choice of Power or Food 

Then it's about time we all teach the Power Companies a lesson and go completely off the grid we have enough resources for solar panels to give more than enough power to power any house also the use of wind turbines as we also have enough wind over home depending where you live of course bit both of those options are reasonably cheap to do

Then another alternative is cooking and heating with gas

If everybody stood together against <deleted> Greedy and Corrupt Organusations the Big Companies would have to back down or go under which is what should happen to them for being so greedy all the time especially when they use our natural resources to make cheap power then charge the earth for it to the people the power they make with our element's should be free to everybody in Australia as everything in Nature is our natural rite to look after and use

Thanks to the person who said that housing is so cheap over home still because until I go back to Thailand I may go home for a while as rent in New Zealand has gone through the roof in the last 2 years even in the cheap areas your paying around $200 plus for a shitty bed sit and the pension here is also a lot less than our Australian one.

Here in New Zealand my power bill was getting to high so I cut everything back to portable gas Califonts and a portable solar panel for power supply and cut my costs down to $10 a week outgoings on amenities giving more money for food but that's also going through the roof price wise and only way to get around that is to grow your own veggies and raise your own meat and hunt to fill the freezer

Which cuts back on most costs.

The reason why I had to do everything portable is I couldn't alter the rental house I rent or I would have been kicked out for altering the <deleted> owners house that he charges far to much for anyway but in the last couple of years there has become a shortage of rentals here and owners think they can charge any amount they want and you have to pay it

They also all need to be tought a lesson that they can't treat people the way they do and keep getting away with it.

Since the Green Party got into Australia they have destroyed what was once a Great Country which I was proud to be a part of as an Australian

Then I moved to New Zealand and the Green Party have got their foot in the door here and have started their shit here to

The GREEN PARTY are nothing but trouble anywhere to go They need to be Eliminated before they cause any more trouble anywhere 

Today’s Melbourne SunHerald.....

STRUGGLING TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE

MIDDLE-income families are among those having trouble putting food on the table at times because of stretched budgets, research has found.
A study involving Melbourne households found some mums reduced their own portion sizes or skip meals when money was tight so children didn’t go without.
Others relentlessly chased grocery specials at different stores and hosted occasional “bring a plate” dinners with friends to manage, the Monash University investigation revealed.
Research published in The International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health found food insecurity was not restricted to people on low incomes, and could extend to the middle class.
Food insecurity is described as limited or uncertain access to enough nutritious food.
Monash University researcher and public health dietitian Sue Kleve said families juggling housing, grocery, utility and other costs could at times be pushed to the brink by unexpected medical or other bills, or cuts to casual or contract work hours.
“We are talking about people who are employed, who have a roof over their head and a mortgage,” Dr Kleve said.
“Food insecurity leads to stress, anxiety and concern about having enough food, enough money for food. You might have to buy cheaper choices, which are higher in energy and lower in nutrition.
“It’s like mortgage stress but with food — food stress.”
The research, in collaboration with Flinders University, surveyed 134 people and found a third had experienced food stress. In-depth interviews were then held with 16 people from households with annual before-tax incomes of $40,000 to $80,000 about their food experiences.
Dr Kleve said some grew vegies in pots, or always had tinned food in the pantry to prepare basic, cheap meals.
“One woman talked about ensuring the household had fruit and vegetables but at times was so challenged at the end of the week she had to feed a family of three with a $5 pizza,” she said.
“Another said friends regularly bought her basics such as toilet paper so she had an extra $10 for food.”
Dr Kleve said most already had good budgeting and home cooking skills, so policies for affordable food and utilities, and more secure employment, were also needed.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Today’s Melbourne SunHerald.....

STRUGGLING TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE

MIDDLE-income families are among those having trouble putting food on the table at times because of stretched budgets, research has found.
A study involving Melbourne households found some mums reduced their own portion sizes or skip meals when money was tight so children didn’t go without.
Others relentlessly chased grocery specials at different stores and hosted occasional “bring a plate” dinners with friends to manage, the Monash University investigation revealed.
Research published in The International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health found food insecurity was not restricted to people on low incomes, and could extend to the middle class.
Food insecurity is described as limited or uncertain access to enough nutritious food.
Monash University researcher and public health dietitian Sue Kleve said families juggling housing, grocery, utility and other costs could at times be pushed to the brink by unexpected medical or other bills, or cuts to casual or contract work hours.
“We are talking about people who are employed, who have a roof over their head and a mortgage,” Dr Kleve said.
“Food insecurity leads to stress, anxiety and concern about having enough food, enough money for food. You might have to buy cheaper choices, which are higher in energy and lower in nutrition.
“It’s like mortgage stress but with food — food stress.”
The research, in collaboration with Flinders University, surveyed 134 people and found a third had experienced food stress. In-depth interviews were then held with 16 people from households with annual before-tax incomes of $40,000 to $80,000 about their food experiences.
Dr Kleve said some grew vegies in pots, or always had tinned food in the pantry to prepare basic, cheap meals.
“One woman talked about ensuring the household had fruit and vegetables but at times was so challenged at the end of the week she had to feed a family of three with a $5 pizza,” she said.
“Another said friends regularly bought her basics such as toilet paper so she had an extra $10 for food.”
Dr Kleve said most already had good budgeting and home cooking skills, so policies for affordable food and utilities, and more secure employment, were also needed.

They never heard of mama noodles ?  

• Like 1
On 6/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, madmen said:

Move to North qld.  Not to far up cause you will need AC. I found The sunshine coast to be perfect weather, no ac or heat required. I disagree that OZ is expensive assuming your not living in the major cities. Rent assistance helps a great deal

You also get an extra $36 pension supplements if living in OZ . All states have a remote living allowance of an extra $20 but you need to check the postcodes. The pension card helps a great deal for travel and near free meds, Im paying 56000 baht a year for one imported med here that costs $60 a year in OZ

The big supermarkets ALWAYS have specials especially the mark down on meat so a freezer would be a good investment. Beer is expensive but home brew is not illegal like here and its fun to make and cheap! Being a fishing fanatic I always lived by the sea and would usually bag a catch of Tailor and salmon off the beaches so always had fish fillets in the freezer

With the OZ dollar bleeding out slowly There must a point where living OZ where a dollar is actually worth a dollar is going to be a good option for some and when you factor in free medicare (not many do because they have no insurance here) then it becomes even more attractive.

re.PNG

Make up your mind. One minute you are extolling Australia as a reasonably cheap place to live, and saying Thailand is not cheap anymore. Next minute you are saying Thailand is good value for money. Which is it?

12 hours ago, Sujo said:

Are you kidding me? Even in qld in winter its freezing. Maybe if you lived way up in the top end its ok but from brisbane down you certainly have winter woolies on.

I was quite amused playing a golf tournament near Brisbane some years ago. The Victorians were all walking around in short-sleeved shirts and shorts, enjoying the weather. The Queenslanders were all inside the clubhouse asking for the heating to be turned on.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Dragon Master 01 said:

Since the Greens got any sort of Power in Australia the Whole Country and the people hsve suffered in 1 way or another

Seeing that it has become a choice of Power or Food 

Then it's about time we all teach the Power Companies a lesson and go completely off the grid we have enough resources for solar panels to give more than enough power to power any house also the use of wind turbines as we also have enough wind over home depending where you live of course bit both of those options are reasonably cheap to do

Then another alternative is cooking and heating with gas

If everybody stood together against <deleted> Greedy and Corrupt Organusations the Big Companies would have to back down or go under which is what should happen to them for being so greedy all the time especially when they use our natural resources to make cheap power then charge the earth for it to the people the power they make with our element's should be free to everybody in Australia as everything in Nature is our natural rite to look after and use

Thanks to the person who said that housing is so cheap over home still because until I go back to Thailand I may go home for a while as rent in New Zealand has gone through the roof in the last 2 years even in the cheap areas your paying around $200 plus for a shitty bed sit and the pension here is also a lot less than our Australian one.

Here in New Zealand my power bill was getting to high so I cut everything back to portable gas Califonts and a portable solar panel for power supply and cut my costs down to $10 a week outgoings on amenities giving more money for food but that's also going through the roof price wise and only way to get around that is to grow your own veggies and raise your own meat and hunt to fill the freezer

Which cuts back on most costs.

The reason why I had to do everything portable is I couldn't alter the rental house I rent or I would have been kicked out for altering the <deleted> owners house that he charges far to much for anyway but in the last couple of years there has become a shortage of rentals here and owners think they can charge any amount they want and you have to pay it

They also all need to be tought a lesson that they can't treat people the way they do and keep getting away with it.

Since the Green Party got into Australia they have destroyed what was once a Great Country which I was proud to be a part of as an Australian

Then I moved to New Zealand and the Green Party have got their foot in the door here and have started their shit here to

The GREEN PARTY are nothing but trouble anywhere to go They need to be Eliminated before they cause any more trouble anywhere 

The Greens are not in power in Australia. The Coalition has been for over 5 years now.

The Coalition has had no coherent energy policy during that time. It even went to the election in May without one. Every time they tried to develop a policy, it was white-anted by the hardcore right, led by Tony Abbott.

Don't blame the Greens, blame Abbott. The most destructive and negative politician to ever sit in Federal Parliament. One good outcome of the last election was him losing his seat.

This all topic looks like just a bunch of moaners justifying their life in Thailand.

As if Thailand for the poor is much better. People in Australia have social programs, effective charity organisations and frankly they can choose to live in more economical environment instead of their freakin' huge mansions.

Poor Thai will never get that chance or do they get a choice. 

Oh, poor, poor aussies..... but I bet pubs are full with people getting pissed.

The topic surely meant Welcome to Australia will you be choosing electricity or a schooner of VB.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

Australia’s crash has been a long time coming. How it’s been propped up over the last 10 years is a mystery to me.

people there are arrogant, rude and aggressive. I wouldn’t move back if you paid me.

regarding electricity bills, my ex wife put aud $10grand of solar panels. They will be paid off after 5 years. Her current electricity bill is about $60.

I totally agree with your comment re the people. I had so many experiences of the weird oz culture as you describe. You couldnt pay me to live there again...

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

I agree. All a bunch of moaners. Even I can afford a schooner of VB (but who wants to drink that shit).

Australia's infrastructure and social systems kill Thailands. Surprising what cheap ladies (bluntly put pussy) does too a elder guys mind. All my old mates came for the beer, the food and the ladies. Most have gone home or to Cambodia for holidays now due to a terrible dollar. I know I wouldn't be here if I was not married. Just my medical bills would pay for my rates and house insurance easily with some left over. Even my car insurance in Australia is cheaper than what I pay in Thailand. I am up for starts with health/medical bills and car insurance $7,800 before I even start my monthly spend in Thailand.

Different strokes for different folks. IMHO your praise of Australia would be much more muted if you had to shell out 50% of your pension on rent. Doesn't leave much for food and electricity if one lives in Victoria or Tasmania.

As for pussy, it's  about looks as well as cost. I would have to roll most of the women I see in Australian supermarkets in flour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Different strokes for different folks. IMHO your praise of Australia would be much more muted if you had to shell out 50% of your pension on rent. Doesn't leave much for food and electricity if one lives in Victoria or Tasmania.

As for pussy, it's  about looks as well as cost. I would have to roll most of the women I see in Australian supermarkets in flour.

I will never have to shell out any money for rent. I have more than enough to buy a house outright. Most cannot do that, so years of hard work previously paid off.

My praise for Australia would not be less muted. When you are ill, have a free healthcare system here that provides and gives you all most everything, your born in a lucky country. Just recently I was accepted into a study for free. All of my medications have been free, all the DNA testing free and it has benefited me no end.

No Thailand is okay but I understand now which side my bread is buttered on and it certainly is not Thailand.

• Like 2