Asked for ID when paying water bill

topt

Apologies if someone has already reported this.

Went today to Big C Extra in Pattaya to pay my water bill, as I do most months, and was asked for my passport which I did not have. The Customer Service Supervisor there noticed I had a driving licence in my wallet and said that would do.

When I queried this he said that it was a new law that had recently come in and everybody had to show ID when paying bills. He also mentioned he had a lot of foreigners who were not happy about this and could not understand it was the law and not something Big C were asking for.........

IE in his case please stop shooting the messenger :smile:

He also said Thais had to show their ID.

It will be interesting to see if I get asked this when I pay my electricity bill (at a PEA office) in a couple of weeks and curious if this will be enforced at 7/11s and Family Marts?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, topt said:

When I queried this he said that it was a new law that had recently come in and everybody had to show ID when paying bills. He also mentioned he had a lot of foreigners who were not happy about this and could not understand it was the law and not something Big C were asking for.........

It's exactly the same nonsense the BTS believes when they demand a passport when topping up their card. It's their interpretation of the Anti Money Laundering measures. Surely you can pay your utility bills via Internet banking and avoid these pettyfogging requirements?

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I paid my electric bill at the PEA office in Naklua on the 5th. Only needed bill and the cash. No ID requested.

First visit there for many years. Usually pay at 7-11's but was a few days late this month. What a change in the set-up. Previously it was a madhouse, but this time quiet as anything with the other payment options obviously having a huge impact. Even had space in their little off-road carpark. Well setup with a number of payment windows. After payment, was asked to give a customer satisfaction ranking on a little gizmo that went from 1 to 5. Gave a 5 and smiles all round!!  

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I was paying a bill in Family Mart a few days ago. It's one of the few we can't pay online.

I was asked for my passport. First time that has happened.

Happened to me last month in a Family Mart as well, left this one and went to another Family Mart down the road, and there no passport needed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm assuming this is to solve the massive and intractable problem they have where "good Samaritans" keep paying other people's water bills?

what bxxxxxs  eh? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I pay my water bill to the lady who comes around on her motorbike and gives me a receipt.

Me too. I was beginning to think I am classed as a dodgy character till I saw your post, I am not the only one then. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rott said:

Me too. I was beginning to think I am classed as a dodgy character till I saw your post, I am not the only one then. ????

But you are still dodgy, as are all of us farangs living in Nakhon Nowhere.

:sorry:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But you are still dodgy, as are all of us farangs living in Nakhon Nowhere.

:sorry:

I have said that myself at the Nakhon Differentplanet Formation Dancing Society. If we were normal we would not be here.

The nutters are definitely not all in Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is the purpose of this?  Is the water bill checked to see that the name matches the ID?  Does the ID need to show an address where the water bill is delivered? If I pay my inlaws' water bill for them, do I need to carry their ID along with me to show the cashier? Did they make a photocopy of the ID?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

Even thought, for topup BTS card ask for an ID. Crazy!!!!!

That slows down the process. So stupid!!!!!!!!!!

You only have to register your Rabbit Card one time, took all of 2 minutes. This anti money laundering thing is only for stored value cards where you can also take money out or make other purchases, which is why you have to for the BTS Rabbit Card, but not the MRT Card. So it’s completely different to having to show ID when paying a water bill.

• Like 1