What is the best dog food that is inexpensive ?

Hi there, we adopt a puppy 3 months old (siberian husky). I found the royal canin brand name quite expensive. Could you recommend me a cheaper and good quality brand easy to find in Thailand ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi, I don't know what prices you are paying now but Lazada sellers stock Royal Canin 18-34% below recommended retail price - if that helps. (May or may not be cheaper, I don't know what you're paying!). 
As for cheaper, good quality alternatives, that's a tough question. There's a great website called 'Dog Food Advisor' that rates dog foods. It gives Royal Canin 3 out of 5 stars.
It gave Orijen 5 stars - you can buy that on Lazada but it's more expensive than Canin. The cheaper alternatives (Alpo and Pedigree) were both rated 1 star. So for the price, Royal Canin is probably the best quality. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jadee said:

Hi, I don't know what prices you are paying now but Lazada sellers stock Royal Canin 18-34% below recommended retail price

It may vary by type but the prices I see on Lazada are all, with one exception, well above cost directly from vet for small bags and the few large bag sellers have never had any stock.  Vet charges 655 or 665 for 1.5kg obesity type.  

• Like 1

I get large breed Royal Canin for my Dalmatian, Bull Terrier & Weimaraner. Its 1990 Baht for 15kg from my local pet food shop. On Facebook there is a new Thai brand called Wolflicious that looks interesting as its grain free & its 1200 Baht for 15kg. Royal Canin isn't the best I'd rather have grain free organic dog biscuits but the price is prohibitive here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

I get large breed Royal Canin for my Dalmatian, Bull Terrier & Weimaraner. Its 1990 Baht for 15kg from my local pet food shop. On Facebook there is a new Thai brand called Wolflicious that looks interesting as its grain free & its 1200 Baht for 15kg. Royal Canin isn't the best I'd rather have grain free organic dog biscuits but the price is prohibitive here.

look interesting, thanks

On 6/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, atchara said:

Could you recommend me a cheaper and good quality brand easy to find in Thailand ?

Something wrong with ALPO? (under the Nestle group).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpo_(pet_food)

You get it virtually everywhere.

We use in addition to other food (chicken (liver), rice etc.).

I buy the "Beef/Liver/Vegetable" sort.

739 Baht for 20 kg sack at Lazada delivered to the door.

859 Baht at MAKRO. 899 (or more) at Tesco Lotus.

Available at other chain stores too.

I suggest you buy a smaller size for test-feed, see whether they adopt to it.

alpo.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Something wrong with ALPO?

On 6/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, jadee said:

The cheaper alternatives (Alpo and Pedigree) were both rated 1 star. So for the price, Royal Canin is probably the best quality. 

Of rated brands Royal Canin was rated 3 stars (and from reading would rate a bit higher in my judgement of what matters most).

Wife's Chihuahua only likes Royal Canin. Then he gets chicken livers (7-Eleven) boiled occasionally on weekends. 

Just go to Tesco/Big C and buy a large bag of anything and start with that. Dogs should not really eat human food but fried rice is fried rice etc. Just don't over feed. My lab used to get one large can of dogfood meat mixed with one large can (as a measure) of dried food. All mixed together.

In Indonesia corned beef is cheaper than cat food.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 6/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, jadee said:

Hi, I don't know what prices you are paying now but Lazada sellers stock Royal Canin 18-34% below recommended retail price - if that helps. (May or may not be cheaper, I don't know what you're paying!). 
As for cheaper, good quality alternatives, that's a tough question. There's a great website called 'Dog Food Advisor' that rates dog foods. It gives Royal Canin 3 out of 5 stars.
It gave Orijen 5 stars - you can buy that on Lazada but it's more expensive than Canin. The cheaper alternatives (Alpo and Pedigree) were both rated 1 star. So for the price, Royal Canin is probably the best quality. 

Lazada's price is not 18-34% below retail. It's 18-34% below manufacturers list price.

My local shop's everyday price forRC is the same price as Lazada.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:38 AM, nauseus said:

We never buy canned stuff but we get chicken liver from the market, or sometimes cheaper offal or other fresh meat. Our dogs enjoy it just with rice. Queen Elizabeth gives her corgis lambs liver and cabbage, with rice! My wife gets chicken liver for about B115/kg and they love it, plus they get other bits and pieces from the market if they've been good. If you have a small dog then one kilo of liver should do it for a week (with rice)!

PS - sorry saw husky - not a small dog! More liver and more rice then!

Please try and make sure he does not get too hot, especially March to May!

I want to echo your advice.  But moreover want to  look at the canned or dry packaged dog food.  It is not food IMHO - but rather never mind my opinion.  The science and common sense that tells us humans to eat well and what we were meant to eat, also goes for our animals.  I wish I had known that 15 years ago.  I would have fed my cat accordingly.  Instead I watch it die from cancer probably because I was feeding it a recommended dry food.  I never read the label.  But even if very little processing, it is still not food.  It's a science project.

Edited by Harveyg
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Royal Canin is clever marketing but, according to dog food surveys, poor quality and all the "breed specific" varieties are just con jobs. Pedigree is widely available, not too expensive  and is the choice of many well known breeders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Royal Canin is clever marketing but, according to dog food surveys, poor quality and all the "breed specific" varieties are just con jobs. Pedigree is widely available, not too expensive  and is the choice of many well known breeders.

You might want to check this top Google search independent testing website - one star to Pedigree - three to Royal Canin.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/royal-canin-breed-specific-adult/

I don't know where you guys buy from if Lazada is more expensive than your vets / local shop .. I would say there are regional variation that include transport. We are in the Deep South, when you live in BKK a lot of things are cheaper.

Our local shops charge considerably more for royal canin. 

I wouldn't want to advise what is best, but we buy RC from Lazada, one thing, buy in bulk, some sellers seem to run out of stock from time to time. I tend to keep an eye on prices, it can fluctuate, maybe the difference in a bag over a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

check this out    https://www.clubcanine.net/what-dogs-eat.shtml

1. Our canine companions have been eating a raw food diet - naturally & instinctively - for thousands of years.
  2. Commercial pet food companies have only been around for about 60 years.
  3. Many of today's diseases surfaced since the advent of the processed, grain-based commercial pet foods.

Pork and chicken are so cheap in Thailand...

Our 12 dogs seem to do quite well on Chicken Carcasses from Makro, Boiled up and mixed with cheap rice. Occasional bones or liver also from Makro. 

If anything the dogs have a tendency to put on weight. Few have the ideal slim figures, but then nor do I. Seems to keep them pretty fit and healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We feed our bangkow Smart Heart "fit and firm".  We've tried all the other dry foods including Royal Caina and this is the one she likes best. We occasionally supplement with some rice and barbecue liver or chicken. Smart heart is medium priced. We never giver her chicken bones-dangerous.

Edited by mhortig
  • Like 1