New Bangkok debit card

Thank you for your reply , i did look at the website , what i did not want to happen was back in the Uk and

it would not work , What i was hoping for was an expat that has used it the Uk . As you know they say yes

not a problem just to keep us happy . I suspect you are right and thanks again .

I've seen this question asked before in other threads and UK folks said the Bangkok Bank Mastercard worked fine in the UK.  Do a search on ThaiVisa and maybe you can find those posts.

13 hours ago, harry94 said:

i did ask them and two ladies looked at each other and we not sure ? thats why i wanted to know has

any one returned to the UK and used the card at an ATM.

always best to call the customer service line...I use K-Bank and they have English speaking agents who are always able to assist and answer knowledgeably. I assume BBL have the same. For K-Bank I arrange for "international roaming" for my cards which works in the UK and other countries. There is a charge, and it's not the default card normally issued...they issue a different one. BBL may be different. Most staff in the bank branches are very limited in their knowledge of anything outside of their counter job role, and in 20 years I have yet to find a single one who can speak English.

22 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Coincidently this morning my wife asked me to contact my UK bank and ask what will be the situation regarding my four digit pin card when drawing cash here in Thailand? Perhaps an answer from here?

You can draw cash ffrom any atm using a UK card.

But you will be charged to your UK a/c for both the 220 baht atm fee and then by your own bank for a foreign transaction. HSBC do that, cost about 12.00 gbp combined.

That makes the fx rate even worse, but useful for an emergency.

47 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

For K-Bank I arrange for "international roaming" for my cards which works in the UK and other countries. There is a charge, and it's not the default card normally issued...they issue a different one.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I've been using my bog standard K-Bank Visa debit card abroad for many years, I neither asked for a different/special card nor have I ever told them before a trip / asked for "international roaming". It just works.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

You can draw cash ffrom any atm using a UK card.

But you will be charged to your UK a/c for both the 220 baht atm fee and then by your own bank for a foreign transaction. HSBC do that, cost about 12.00 gbp combined.

That makes the fx rate even worse, but useful for an emergency.

I understand that and have been doing it for years here but to make myself clearer. Will my four digit HSBC four-digit card continue to work now Thai banks are switching to six digit pins?

I used to bank at Kbank and mentioned that I was going to England and Spain. They advised me to change my ATM card to a chipped card the one with 6 digits as many ATM machines in Europe refused the old unchipped cards now. I imagine  the same applies to your BBL card.

For what it is worth, when I got my card, I asked and was told there would be no problem using the card overseas.  Unfortunately, I have had several instances when trying to order things online in Thailand, the card would get rejected.  I had selected the credit/debit option but would get a message at the end that I needed to call the bank.  Other places in LOS worked fine.

So, I suspect that using the card in the UK might be hit and miss.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm sure it can.  Below is a snapshot from the Bangkok Bank webpage for their Mastercard debit card talking international transactions....the ATM just needs to display the Mastercard logo which I expect every ATM in the UK does.

image.png.9dd48faf601b3bf522d346ba00cd6c2b.png

image.png.ea667504860f54a7718f25c2aea3f67c.png

My Bangkok Bank debit card has a Visa logo, and four digits. So I assume the same would apply to me.

As a test, I tried using my new six digit Bkk Bank card in England 3 weeks ago. Entering the 6 digit PIN wasn't a problem but after enter the amount (£20) the screen flashed up that the transaction was blocked by the issuing bank. To make sure there wasn't a problem with the card I used it as soon as I got back to Thailand, and it worked fine. I haven't yet had the time (or inclination) to query this with the bank yet.

• Like 1

It will not work as all ATMs and card machines in UK and EU can only accept a 4 digit pin number.

To clarify I used to work for SAGE chip and pin machines, (Who make at least 50% of all machines worldwide) they cannot accept 6 digit PIN numbers.  And I've tried, it will not work ever.

Edited by Pdavies99
edit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

did they finally ditch the whole union pay debacle and start giving out normal debit cards again? I moved all my cash out of there but would consider them if they are doing mastercard debits now

They still offer the UnionPay debit card...and now also the Mastercard debit card.  Up to you which one you get.

• Like 1

This has become very confusing , i have master card 6 digits , today i visited The main Bangkok bank in Udon ,

I said i am going on holiday to the Uk , Will my card work to withdraw cash ? yes you can use your card at any

ATM with the Master card Logo , I have yet to hear from any Brit that has returned to the Uk and used the six

digit master card , i am sure some one must have tried their card so until i hear the result i am none the wiser .

I have just checked on the internet 6 digit cards do not work in the Uk , you need 4 digits .

so an earlier poster is correct .That is why no Brit expat has ever posted the new master

card from Bangkok being any use in the Uk . So today Bangkok bank telling me KNOW PROBLEM

is utter nonsense .

7 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Bangkok Bank Debit Cards have Union Pay and not Mastercard or Visa? I tried to get a different debit card but they told me all debit cards are now union pay. 

About 6 months ago they started offering Mastercard also.  They now offer two debit cards: UnionPay  or Mastercard....up to you which one you get.

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

About 6 months ago they started offering Mastercard also.  They now offer two debit cards: UnionPay  or Mastercard....up to you which one you get.

forget union pay. Nearly all online purchases are mastercard or visa

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Bangkok Bank Debit Cards have Union Pay and not Mastercard or Visa? I tried to get a different debit card but they told me all debit cards are now union pay. 

When did you try?