Medical Insurance

Good day,

Although I have traveled on a non immigrant visa (based on marriage) I have never stayed more than 90 days, and very doubtful if we will stay permanently.

I always have a return ticket. Will I have to get the medical insurance as proposed.

Thank you.

The insurance that has been mentioned is only needed to a apply for a OA long stay visas at a embassy or consulate in your home country.

If are asking about the travel insurance being considered when entering the country still lacks any information about who will need to buy it. 

Just renewed my retirement at Jomtien and they were not at all interested in seeing the health insurance I had.  Suggest anyone concerned about whether or not they'll be asked for it renews early and before they spend money on redundant health insurance locally. 

3 minutes ago, Robins said:

Just renewed my retirement at Jomtien and they were not at all interested in seeing the health insurance I had.  Suggest anyone concerned about whether or not they'll be asked for it renews early and before they spend money on redundant health insurance locally. 

There is no requirement whatsoever to have medical insurance to renew a retirement extension.

Although I hesitate to call it redundant, tempting fate.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Isn't it a moot question ? - Always ensure you have adequate insurance (i.e. decent level of cover for accidents and serious levels of treatment etc). 

The Travel Insurance on arrival was going to be 100 baht (if I'm not mistaken) which is not a big deal. 

When we came here for good in 2007 we had to cancel the medical insurance that I was allowed to retain after I finished work, then it was £160/month for both of us. It than became just under £3000/year. Four years ago it had risen to £8800/year and was rising about 15%/pa....so we cancelled. We now use mainly government hospitals ... of course we have money put aside just in case.   Our ages are 73/64.  We do have Bangkok Bank accident insurance 5000thb/pa each.

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Isn't it a moot question ? - Always ensure you have adequate insurance (i.e. decent level of cover for accidents and serious levels of treatment etc). 

The Travel Insurance on arrival was going to be 100 baht (if I'm not mistaken) which is not a big deal. 

Yes it is. I do not understand the complaining over the need to have an insurance. Every normally intelligent person would already have one.

Indeed...  I've just renewed my Wife's and Sons' at 85,000 baht (LUMA)...  I have my own through work (MSH) - the premiums are tolerable for a high level of Inpatient only cover (no excess). 

However, as JAS21 has mentioned it becomes very difficult to get private insurance or to justify paying the crazy premiums for those over 70 years old. 

A reliable, useful and affordable private scheme for those living long term in Thailand would be an excellent option. 

And for the tourists, insurance on arrival for those who cannot show their own Medical / Travel insurance upon entry is not too much of a harsh option. 

[Personally - I was caught in Singapore with a SG$50,000+ bill which my insurance paid. A friend became quite unwell and had a 4 MB+ Bill at Bumrungrad (who definitely saved her life) she had insufficient level of cover, her parents had to re-mortgage].... 

We need to have something in place or at least 5MB sitting in readily / quickly accessible funds, immediately accepted by a hospital and accessible by someone we trust if we were to become incapacitated - An insurance card in the wallet (acting as a certificate of Insurance) is the best thing to be carrying under such circumstances, especially if the hospitals are going to be mercenary when it comes to providing emergency care. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes it is. I do not understand the complaining over the need to have an insurance. Every normally intelligent person would already have one.

We get a lot of dumb tourists. Another factor is any insurance is often not valid for the scenario of the incident concerned...eg. riding around drunk on a motorbike without having a licence. 

I doubt 100 baht will cover all these incidents, hospital bills possibly reaching a million and repatriation.

Edited by jacko45k