Thai International school student shows Thailand can be the "Hub" of invention!

webfact

Thai International school student shows Thailand can be the "Hub" of invention!

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily New

A Chiang Mai international school student has become the first Thai to enter the final rounds of the "Google Science Fair" for his innovative hearing aid device. 

Hemwich Warit, 13, an M1 student at Varee Chiang Mai International School, is in the last twenty of the competition. 

He got an idea for amplifying sound for the hearing impaired after not plugging his guitar into an amp. 

He noticed that even without the amp sound gradually improved and he investigated why. 

Hemwich - known as "Hub" - said there are more than 400 million people around the world he could help with his device that costs a third of other devices. 

His mother asked all Thais to cheer her son in the final stages of the competition and realize their own potential to invent things and help others. 

Source: Daily News

• Like 2

Can someone explain what this device actually does? This article does not give and info at all, as the kid is not an electronics engineer, I assume off the shelf components, put together, that amplifies sound... isn't that what all hearing aids do, albeit modern ones a re a hell of a lot smaller, indiscreet, tunable etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Hemwich - known as "Hub" - said there are more than 400 million people around the world he could help with his device that costs a third of other devices. 

This is the important bit 'the price', as bone conduction hearing aids cost a lot of money to buy. Good luck, young fella.

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Like 2

I am wondering what the USA SAT scores are from Thais who attend these expensive international schools.

I ask because sorry, the ones I have met seem way behind the curve.

Parents telling me their kid is going to IVY league schools seems impossible.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I am wondering what the USA SAT scores are from Thais who attend these expensive international schools.

I think it depends on which International School... Many claim the name 'international' school but hardly come up to par with a standard comprehensive (government) school in our home countries.

However, there are a few which stand out in Thailand for their excellence (Patana, Harrow, NIST, Shrewsbury, St.Andrews) and those graduating IGSCE's or equivalent levels can get into some very good Sixth form colleges and those graduating A Level equivalent from these schools can enter top universities such as University College London, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Loughborough etc. 

Viewing Alumni information upon application to these schools shows that they can perform at the highest levels.

However, there will always be a degree of elitism when students are competing for the same places from elite schools such as Eaton, Manchester Grammar School, Harrow, Marlborough, Bromsgrove, Rugby etc... 

I'm not sure how well the Top Thai schools compete for Ivy league places in the US which may rely more on connections and political influence for University Admissions, but based on Merit the Top Thai Schools offer great potential for their students - I believe greater potential than a standard Comprehensive school in the UK. 

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The best students from THAI schools can get very high SAT scores, as many international programs here require them. Our family friends son got 800 in Maths and 755 in English (reading, I believe, but could be wrong). He got a scholarship to The honors program (engineering) at the University of Minnesota, then went on to Oxford for a couple of years, then to Stanford for his PhD. The SAT maths is no more than m3 and m4 maths here in Thailand (which I teach). Of course, they struggle more with the SAT english exams. If you see the Thai PAT maths exams, you would see how difficult they are. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He got an idea for amplifying sound for the hearing impaired

Interestingly:

• Personal sound amplification products (PSAPs) are not regulated by the U.S. FDA and thus cannot be marketed as a correction or treatment for hearing loss.
  • A study in the July 4, 2017, Journal of the American Medical Association found that less expensive over-the-counter personal sound amplification products (PSAPs) might be a good alternative for some people.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/sound-amplification-device-may-be-a-cheaper-hearing-aid-choice

At first glance, a Aand many hearing aids and PSAPs share similar features – they’re both wearable sound-amplifying devices that utilize some of the same types of technologies.

• However, the differences between the two far outweigh the similarities, and it’s important to understand these differences when trying to decide which hearing improvement device is right for your needs.

http://www.avada.com/hearing-aids-vs-personal-sound-amplification-devices/

I'm sorry to say that whenever I see a headline such as this my instant reaction is: What have they reverse engineered now?. A bit like the battery powered beach cleaner as an example, there are others but I'm tired and it's late, anyway do your own bloomin research if you don't believe me ????.  

Edited by Golden Triangle

13 hours ago, anterian said:

it seems to be something to do with bone conduction, but I am just guessing from the pictures as I don't speak Thai.

It's perfectly clear now! Have to learn Thai one of these lifetimes (just not this one).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Instead of passing on some HELPFUL info you chose to ridicule.. wow.

Not ridicule. This is an English language forum and someone submits a video that os entirely in Thai without English subtitles. Is that HELPFUL enough for you? Get up to speed, OK?

Edited by MaxYakov

On 6/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand is stuck playing around the edges. In our lifetimes, it will not be a hub of anything requiring higher intelligence or challenging tradition. 

I really wish they would stop deluding themselves. 

Competitive nations require a critical mass of people who are generally serious, not playful and preoccupied with superficiality. 

you seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder and a superiority complex to match.

4 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

you seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder and a superiority complex to match.

I don't have a superiority complex.

I have superiority.

I am superior. 

And, I earned it through hard work and sacrifice. 

Edited by Fex Bluse