EXCLUSIVE: Farang checkout thief who stole 2,000 baht from Thai shopper returns the money - He's British

Jonathan Fairfield

Conscience giving him a couple of sleepless nights, and decided to do the right thing albeit belatedly.

He might think twice about doing such actions in the future and lucky for him the young lady was gracious and didn't want to pursue with police action.

Honestly, I had read the initial report and 'skipped over" the head line...yes- my bad. All you had to say was that he was British. I "normally" do not miss the particulars, yet somehow was not really concerned about the nationality.And still- the nationality IMO is beside the point- no matter who -your welcome has just run out. CYA:)

53 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Good on the old geezer.

Now we just need to get that "lady" shown in the enclosed clip, who stole money from one of those money-collection trees standing around in 7/11s and elsewhere. The collection has merit-making background and goes to a temple for charity.

Wondering, what that b1tch was thinking; in my opinion considerably more despicable! But judge for yourself.

Good on the old geezer? If not for the CCTV he would have got away with the theft. Just wonder how much thieving he had done over his lifetime as he gave no hint of being a newbie in such activities.

No excuse, but likely that the lady was a trifle more desperate for cash than the rather well fed Brit.

But you seem to have missed this foreign guy who actually took the money from inside the temple. Now, that surely takes the biscuit for being despicable? Of course, that is only my opinion.....

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1023877-farang-on-bicycle-enters-temple-and-steals-1000-baht-donation-money/#comments

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Conscience giving him a couple of sleepless nights, and decided to do the right thing albeit belatedly.

He might think twice about doing such actions in the future and lucky for him the young lady was gracious and didn't want to pursue with police action.

Conscience? I'm sure he was alerted to the video. His "conscience" was lacking when he saw the lady drop money in front of him and said "nothing".  Oh.......on second thought, I should have not deliberately put my foot on the money and attempted to "steal" from a native. Nope- that's not how it works- second chances at integrity are nullified. Next question:)

Why does the report have to state the persons nationality so boldly..."He's British"!!!! It seem like the reporter is triumphant about something.? What is the reason...what are they trying to imply? What the hell difference does it make? Every country has an endless mix of people "types" good, bad, and ugly, so what relevance is it?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I predict 30 plus pages of Brit bashing now, par for the course on here, but you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. (From a proud Brit !).

I was born and bred british, but not lived there for nearly 50 years, I never ever say I am british, because I am very ashamed at their attitude and even the pensioners as in this case I understand, their total lack of respect

while in another country. Fine hin 5000 pounds and deport him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

"The female Thai shopper who dropped 2,000 baht at a supermarket in Pattaya only to see an old westerner on CCTV pick it up and pocket it has told Thaivisa that she has got her money back."

As proud BrIt I am ashamed that the man was forced via social media to return the money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am glad he had the decency to return the money, but feel he only did so from the shame produced by social media. Had it not been so well publicised, I suspect he would not have done so. We all make mistakes. The woman is satisfied, the cops seem to be letting it go. All that remains is for the TV punters to shred him a little more I guess.

I have nothing but praise for the Thai lady who has been very fair minded about the whole thing and more than gracious. I wish there were more like her. Her boyfriend seems to have picked a good one.

..well, the police have no case to investigate now, as he has three days in which to either hand in the money to police or return it to the owner, which it appears he has done..filed 'no action'.

Just now, TMNH said:

How do you know she has a farang BF and that has nothing to do with the old "Brit" in this case. Her personal life has nothing to do with the thieving Brit who stole from her. Question? ????

..he didn't steal from her, he stole by 'finding' the money.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, tandor said:

..he didn't steal from her, he stole by 'finding' the money.

You cannot find money if it is not lost, he knew where the money came from, I suppose it became lost to her when he put his foot on it.

• Like 2

If the lady dropped the money and left and the Farang came along several minutes later, presumably we would not consider that stealing, just his good fortune. I agree his action was despicable, but just interested where readers consider the line is between stealing and finding!

• Confused 1

Just now, Surasak said:

The headline implies all Brits are thieves. Anyone want to sue for deformation? I in no way condone the mans actions, and I hope he has been shamed, it appears so.

I believe that it yet to be proven he is a Brit, just because he speaks english, doesn't make him a Brit. And I also believe no Brit would do such a thing. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moouan said:

If the lady dropped the money and left and the Farang came along several minutes later, presumably we would not consider that stealing, just his good fortune. I agree his action was despicable, but just interested where readers consider the line is between stealing and finding!

He didn't come along several minutes later, he was already there and witnessed the lady dropping her money.

• Like 1