New laws target people in Thailand who smoke at home

webfact

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I would hope they will soon ban nose picking in public especially restaurants. They are definitely getting way too intrusive with the new internet laws, the tell on your neighbor policy, the act too primp and proper at temples or else, on the internet if you show cleavage, and then you can only guess to name what next will be coming out of their twisted little pea brains telling everyone what to do. What I do in my house is my own business and they can A,B,C,D,E,_,G off.

I cannot think of any of my smoker friends who smoke in their own house, when any of my wifes brothers come to the house they always smoke outside, never once inside the house.

• Like 1

I like the spirit of the proposed law ... secondary smoke is dangerous to others ... therefore irresponsible to smoke around kids in adult care who are not in a position to protect themselves.  That said, it’s just one more toothless law like so many others.  It’s easy to fabricate laws, compliance and policing is a different matter.  Thailand has many big pressing issues that need to be addressed, smoking at home should not be on that list.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I cannot think of any of my smoker friends who smoke in their own house, when any of my wifes brothers come to the house they always smoke outside, never once inside the house.

That is correct. Perhaps I should have said on my property as in my house the things I do are more private. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2

So whats the difference for families breathing in cigarette smoke as against burning off smoke especially up north? I reckon I have breathed in more smoke from burning off in a week than I have from cigarette smoke my entire life.  ????

Also I think it would be more feasible to control burning off than to catch people smoking at home. ????

It would take a fare few cigarettes to create the same amount of smog as CM/Lampang districts experience.

I'd rather sit inside with her..... ????

220619_155435.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I'm not a smoker.  I don't like cigarette smoke.  Seems to me, that Thailand is becoming more like America.  They are giving new meaning to the Nanny State.

Yes, but every home needs a smoking hot nanny !!

1 hour ago, Bournville said:

Thailand government as absolutely gone off the deep end. While I've never been a smoker this nonsense law is just too much invasion as a nanny state idea. 

Thailand continues to battle the little issues while much BIGGER issues are just not important! Absolutely disgusting. 

The reason you think it is nonsense is cigarettes came out at a time when we did not understand them as well. The laws regarding them were then made accordingly. 

Now, we do understand them. For example, we understand that babies, who can be affected to a much greater extent than grown individuals, should not be exposed to this smoke. NO AMOUNT is safe (https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/secondhand-smoke-consumer.pdf). 

We do understand the effects much better now, and the laws are changing. I believe smokers should feel lucky they got to "get away" with what they did for decades. It was not long ago a smoker could light up three feet from me in a restaurant! Unheard of now. And in another ten years it will be unheard of to light up in public parks etc. And rightfully so. The next step, and Thailand seems to be right on this and I applaud them, is homes. If you cannot control your own smoke, or pay for an apparatus that does, why should you be allowed to smoke and affect the health of others? Detached homes I feel smokers have a good argument for smoking inside, but things like condos should be 100% off limits fir smoking. 

Edited by meand
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The financial cost of treating people suffering from smoking related to diseases is about Bt220 billion annually, according to Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine.

However, tax revenue raised from cigarettes totals just Bt68.6 billion.

That 220 billion baht annually might be extremely difficult to relate to tobacco only, as there are multiple other sources of air pollution, also also inside homes, that cause similar symptoms as tobacco.

In Western World candles, and the cozy firewood ovens or open fireplaces, equals tobacco fumes, or are worse.

In Thailand a 2012-study showed that smoke from joss sticks, that are often lit at Buddhist homes, cause smoke related diseases. In the study half of Thai women with lung cancer had never smoked, and they came from non smoking homes, but they regularly used joss sticks.

However raising the cigarette tax by 50 percent probably wouldn't harm...????

CCTVs are to be installed in EVERY bathroom in the country, and if any farang discards the used toilet paper into the head he shall be immediately deported ! If recorded smoking in the bathroom, the penalty is by firing squad.

Years ago Thailand was popular because it was so laid back. 

Thais have a long tradition of ignoring laws they don't like. Banning the eating of street food at night snared two Korean tourists at a street stall but no Thais because they chased the police away. That was under a military government in 1972 and is probably still on the books. Drinking beer from teapots in public places on religious and some regular holidays is another example of how an unpopular law is circumvented. I suspect pressure from the WHO is largely to blame for this latest over-reaction to smoking at home. It was proposed at a meeting in Seoul a few years ago and then went quiet...

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

what about after food, this is when most smokers love to light up !!!

Correct! My apologies - most smokers do, but I found that the 2nd hardest to give  up - "the fag and a pint" was traditional in my youth!