Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

He’s avoided two debates other candidates were willing to attend.   

He is a coward for not adding them to schedule. 

He is a bag of hot air... Brits will be very sorry, if they decide to let him run the country. There may be re-elections after re-elections, with chaos in economy and financial markets. - Brits should prepare for a significant drop in their standard of living.

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Correction of fact: the Tory voters are voting for the leader of the Tory party, NOT the next PM.  Whether Johnson or Hunt can gain the majority vote in parliament remains to be seen, as it only takes a few Tory rebels to scupper that.

If whoever is Tory leader cannot gain the confidence of parliament, the PM post is open  - and if not resolved, a GE would be the most likely outcome. I would expect Corbyn to welcome Johnson or Hunt with a no-confidence vote in the government as soon as parliament returns from their summer break. And that would be the end of (a no-deal) brexit - and the Tory party.

Good riddance.

He will probably end up as pm, unfortunately. 

In effect the minority who elect him party leader are voting in their choice on the majority, who will get no say on their choice of pm at this point. 

Hopefully you are right in some tory mps rebelling against the minority’s imposed choice. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Removed coup

The country has no say at present, as only a tiny minority are involved in this vote to choose the next pm. 
Well that is the British system and it is the responsibility of Parliament to impose its will if it so decides. The key for any PM is whether that PM can command a majority in the House of Commons.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I will repeat my view that the Tory government is solely promoting a loss-leader Brexit to save face, not because it would be best for Britain. That should be crystal clear to anyone with a bit of common sense. 

And it only takes a few rebels, some of whom would never support Johnson's aim for a no-deal brexit, even if it costs them their seat should the no-confidence vote be passed.   
Hard Brexiteerland doesn't do common sense. They are strapped in and going down.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Well that is the British system and it is the responsibility of Parliament to impose its will if it so decides. The key for any PM is whether that PM can command a majority in the House of Commons.

In this case a bit premature. Johnson - or Hunt -as elected leader of the Tory party must be able to command a majority parliament, before becoming PM.  See my previous post that Corbyn will post a no-confidence vote in government first.

He will probably end up as pm, unfortunately. 

In effect the minority who elect him party leader are voting in their choice on the majority, who will get no say on their choice of pm at this point. 

Hopefully you are right in some tory mps rebelling against the minority’s imposed choice. 
The issue is less who the Tory leader is but rather whether that person can push Hard Brexit through Parliament.

In this case a bit premature. Johnson - or Hunt -as elected leader of the Tory party must be able to command a majority parliament, before becoming PM.  See my previous post that Corbyn will post a no-confidence vote in government first.
So far Corbyn has been singularly unable to achieve anything to date.

'Hard Brexit this, Hard Brexit that' - these weren't on the ticket either. 
That's right. Nothing about no-deal on the referendum ballot paper. In fact nothing about any deal. The implementation of Brexit left to Parliament which is where it sits today. Hard Brexiteers can spin around all they want but Parliament is still sovereign.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Have to post early for Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Yep, but I do like irony if the fact a minority of the country are getting a second vote to put a man into power who has said he will suspend a parliament elected by the majority of the country to impose a no deal brexit.