Gambling: Prayut set to go after the cuddly toy "mafia"

rooster59

Gambling: Prayut set to go after the cuddly toy "mafia"

games.JPG

The Thai government led by prime minister Prayut Chan-ocha is set to crackdown on yet another evil in Thai society.

Gambling for cuddly toys. 

This time it is in the form of those machines with a crane that people put ten baht in to grab cartoon character toys like Pikachu and Doraemon. 

A court has ruled that the machines are nothing more than gambling and should be cleared from stores nationwide. They are just like slot machines, said the court.

Parents have complained that their kids are constantly pestering them for money to feed their gambling habit.

And the mafia is involved - Manager said in their story that they were behind the lucrative money making machines.

Manager called on Prayut - when he has formed his new government - to crack down on this social evil.

The machines are all over the country and the court ruling now leaves no doubt. 

Moves in Chiang Mai and Udon Thani in particular have already seen many machines cleared away. 

Now they look set to be targeted nationwide. 

Meanwhile a video on YouTube featured some Thais who said it was just a fun game of skill and there was no harm in it. 

Caption : Toy crane booth "mafia"

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-27

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only 'gambling' i see is whether the claws will hang on to the toy or not... other than that, these machines are just a big con and they have been around for many years and only in this country they're classified as gambling...Oh well...

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

????????????

Let stop Thais getting hooked on gambling at an early age in a country that gambling is a big problem.

But in Thailand gambling is illegal, yet there are so many addicted to gambling.

In counties where gambling is legal there is not such a problem. 

Seems so many things are illegal here, but people still do them and take no notice of the law.  That is Thailand.  Do you really think removing these machines for toys is going to stop people gambling?  55.

I was in a large shopping centre the other day and on the top floor was a section near the escalators with about twenty of these machines and just one middle aged woman playing. I went inside a large shop for about ten minutes and when I came out she was still there. I wandered around for twenty minutes and afterwards went to the escalators to go back down and she was still feeding money into the same machine exactly like a slot machine addict. If I didn't win something after three goes I'd give up and walk away but some people just have to keep going, so even at ten baht a play I can see some people managing to lose a fair bit of money.

Cheaper just to buy the toys.

???? ???????????????? 

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

In counties where gambling is legal there is not such a problem. 

Here in the "home" of gambling, there are many addicts.  I know a quite a few of them.   Almost all of them know that I have been a professional gambler for 30 years.  They often ask how do I do it?, what do I play?, where do I play?  I tell them the facts but then they go play the same old losing game they know and love.

Many of them neglect their responsibilities in life because those things interfere with the gambling.  It is a BIG problem here in Las Vegas and destroys many lives.

Before I was a professional, I was a part time blackjack dealer (while in college).  I would see many of the same people playing very often.  It was easy to tell that they were gambling with money they really couldn't afford to lose.

To return to the original topic.... those silly games are very unlikely to do much harm to the general public.  I am skeptical that playing those games will lead to serious gambling problems later.

2 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I was in a large shopping centre the other day and on the top floor was a section near the escalators with about twenty of these machines and just one middle aged woman playing. I went inside a large shop for about ten minutes and when I came out she was still there. I wandered around for twenty minutes and afterwards went to the escalators to go back down and she was still feeding money into the same machine exactly like a slot machine addict. If I didn't win something after three goes I'd give up and walk away but some people just have to keep going, so even at ten baht a play I can see some people managing to lose a fair bit of money.

Cheaper just to buy the toys.

???? ???????????????? 

and she was an older woman, the little kids must really get sucked in.. 

In an Amusement arcade in a wet day in New Quay Wales mid 60s aged about 5 i won a teddy bear on a similar machine (took about 20 goes and i am sure i or my parents could have bought one far cheaper but there you go)

This event has not scared me for life but funny what suddenly springs into memory!

Archived