The Nation ceases publication after 48 years

rooster59

The Nation ceases publication after 48 years

Nation.jpg

After 48 years on the newsstands, The Nation, Thailand’s leading English-language daily known for its independent and aggressive news reporting, publishes its last print edition today.

The newspaper, which will continue its news service on-line, is the latest victim of the disruptive technology that has rattled the media industry for years.  Like most other newspapers, it has been struggling financially for several consecutive years with declining circulations and advertising revenue.

“Undoubtedly, the new chapter is challenging but it also contains rich promises since it comes hot on the heels of technological disruption which has swept virtually every sector of the economy and people’s way of life…,” the paper said in its front-page farewell message headlined “A new beginning at 48”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-nation-ceases-publication-after-48-years/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-28

16 minutes ago, rick44 said:

The move to online publishing doesn't look promising. The Nation doesn't even know to label advertorials as advertising. People from developed countries are used to a press that is not screwing around with its readers, but labeling clearly what is news and what is advertising.

The Thai public are notoriously lambasted with crass advertising. And in fairness, there are some brilliant ads too, better than the soaps.

But a recent crass example, me and Mrs Joke were getting frisky, YouTube was on the screen providing the chill mood music, suddenly, that clownish Somchai whose voiceovers seem to be everywhere, was yelling at us about some crap we didn't need.

Quickly clicked on YouTube to open the same channel in my VPN screened YouTube account, one skippable ad after the first song, then an hour of uninterrupted good vibes. It's all about socialization.

11 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

OMG...Where am I going to find paper to place on the floor for my dog to do his business?   ????

Plenty of Thai rags, cheaper, and will be around for a while due to the tek dinosaurs that devour them by the millions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucegoniners said:

That's the way of the world. Hardly anyone under 55 reads a physical newspaper anymore. I'm 61 and I haven't for years.

They can invest their print budget on better reporting.

I'm glad they're still around!

What!!! Not read one for years!!! I do the Bangkok Post crossword in the one at our local bar!!! 5555 ????????????????

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I thought that was the Bangkok Post they were talking about.  Just one less tree to be cut down.

No problem! BigC, Tesco, Makro etc. are still supplying me with enough paper to start my rubbish fire! The norm here in the 20th century Isaan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

That's the way of the world. Hardly anyone under 55 reads a physical newspaper anymore. I'm 61 and I haven't for years.

They can invest their print budget on better reporting.

I'm glad they're still around!

I'll pick up a paper and read it, but I won't turn on a computer, get cookies tracking me, get blasted with ads tailored to what I read, just to read something on line.

I will google something I want to know though, as long as I don't have to wade through a load of irrelevant stuff to get what I want.

Reading a paper, while sitting in a deckchair on the beach is completely different experience from reading something on line.

I will come on something like TVF as it's an interactive media, but I wouldn't if I could only read it. 

Anyway, IMO conventional news media is doomed, as it is just gutter reporting now, and deserves to be put out of its misery.

I get most of my news from radio.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Hmm, I think that must be 'aggressive news reporting' by Thai standards, not European.

From what I've seen here no reporter would say boo to a goose.

Calling anyone who wrote the garbage dished up a reporter was really a stretch of the imagination. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll pick up a paper and read it, but I won't turn on a computer, get cookies tracking me, get blasted with ads tailored to what I read, just to read something on line.

I will google something I want to know though, as long as I don't have to wade through a load of irrelevant stuff to get what I want.

Reading a paper, while sitting in a deckchair on the beach is completely different experience from reading something on line.

I will come on something like TVF as it's an interactive media, but I wouldn't if I could only read it. 

Anyway, IMO conventional news media is doomed, as it is just gutter reporting now, and deserves to be put out of its misery.

Use DuckDuckGo search engine and you won't be tracked. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/alltnews.htm

Readers might find this useful for on line newspapers

10 hours ago, Bipolar said:

When are they closing their digital version as well?

When the Russians or Chinese shoot down all the satellites. Then we can forget the Internet. All we are left with are radio communication on short wave radio. 

• Haha 1

It's a tricky situation. 

The only decent English language reporting is generally by foreigners who speak English natively. 

However, the foreigners often don't have the inside details the Thai reporters have but are unwilling to report on. 

The whole of the Thai news industry is a total waste of space. The best news comes from gossip of connected people. 

Mostly, nearly everyone in Thailand, foreigners and Thais alike, is routinely uninformed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It's a tricky situation. 

The only decent English language reporting is generally by foreigners who speak English natively. 

However, the foreigners often don't have the inside details the Thai reporters have but are unwilling to report on. 

The whole of the Thai news industry is a total waste of space. The best news comes from gossip of connected people. 

Mostly, nearly everyone in Thailand, foreigners and Thais alike, is routinely uninformed. 

The two English language national papers are way ahead of the papers where I live for actual news. I wouldn't waste my time reading them, whereas I used to enjoy reading the Thai English language papers, especially on the plane.

I stopped buying them when they put the price up, but I'd read them in the hotels or restaurants if provided.

Chalk up another kill for Payuth and co.

The old establishment that used to back coups so that the military could then hand them power have found themselves redundant - the proverbial used condoms laying in the gutter.

Up next, Democrat Party.

The demise of The Nation can be attributed to some very poor management under two individuals with the same name (careful - computer law). But the rot set in back in 97 when the Asian financial crisis hammered many companies. That was followed by the Thaksin era when the megalomaniac made The Nation pay dearly for its opposition to him by withdrawing advertising by his companies and government departments. IMO The Nation had many fine and fearless writers (Suthichai Yoon, Thepchai Yong, Sophon Onkgara, to name just a few), but you can carry the torch for only so long. The relentless pressure from the military and the military backed establishment has also scared off many would-be journalists, leaving mostly hacks happy to engage in press release journalism. The Nation still does publish the occasional piece critical of those who deserve criticism, but it's no longer The Thunderer that we so badly need.