Dipped under 400k. What happens now?

8 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

I put in my application for extension due to Thai wife today at the Buriram IO.   Everything was in order. Next job is to turn up with a bank letter (100 baht last year, now 200) same as today's on 27th July to prove I still have the money, effectively tying up my cash for a total of 3 months, not 2.    I thought I had everything sorted but must now bring in more AUD at the current lousy rate.

I hope you are planning to keep the 400k until the Extension is stamped in the passport. I have heard of people having issues when quick to spend after the application submitted. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I hope you are planning to keep the 400k until the Extension is stamped in the passport. I have heard of people having issues when quick to spend after the application submitted. 

I think that is what he was stating in his post. They told him he had to prove the 400k baht  is in the bank when he returns to get his extension stamp.

9 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Next job is to turn up with a bank letter (100 baht last year, now 200) same as today's on 27th July to prove I still have the money, effectively tying up my cash for a total of 3 months, not 2.

17 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

If the charge went through and you deposited enough the same day to cover it, it shouldn't show a closing balance below 400T. 

The account balance is calculated and printed in the bank book (when you update it ) following every transaction. However briefly, the balance would have fallen below baht 400,000.

I use a Fixed Savings account for visa purposes. Locked in at 1.65% for 11 months and don't touch it. No atm card and no fees other than they deduct 15% on the interest earned on maturity.  Better than the 0.015% for regular accounts that have all kinds of fees attached they rarely explain to you.  

• Like 1

I was rushed to hospital , and I vaguely recall the staff showing me my atm while I was fading.

5 days later I was recovered and at the Accounts Department and the staff there showed me a receipt for 100,000 baht they had removed electronically to go toward paying my hospital bill.

This was during my O-A Extension 'seasoning' period  , and I was alarmed to see my 860k  balance now reading at 760k on my banking chit.

I had 100k deposited back in within hours.

At my local I.O. I went and saw 'the boss'  with the hospital bills and the bank chits , and she said there was no harm done as the money was quickly replaced.

Hopefully the same will happen for you.

• Like 2

The thing to worry about is some IO's are stating that the 400,000 has to stay in the account when you get your 1 month visa (when they send your files to BKK to check) & on your return to IO to get the remaining 11 months visa extension stamp they will ask to see your bank book if its gone under 400,000 they will not grant you the visa

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

I use a Fixed Savings account for visa purposes. Locked in at 1.65% for 11 months and don't touch it. No atm card and no fees other than they deduct 15% on the interest earned on maturity.  Better than the 0.015% for regular accounts that have all kinds of fees attached they rarely explain to you.  

At BKK CW Immigration, for bank deposits, they require that the bank book be updated on the exact day you file an extension application.

How can one do that if their account doesn't have an ATM card, and is a fixed account that doesn't allow deposits or withdrawals. The automated passbook machines usually won't update a book unless there's some activity that's occurred.

40 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

I was rushed to hospital , and I vaguely recall the staff showing me my atm while I was fading.

5 days later I was recovered and at the Accounts Department and the staff there showed me a receipt for 100,000 baht they had removed electronically to go toward paying my hospital bill.

This was during my O-A Extension 'seasoning' period  , and I was alarmed to see my 860k  balance now reading at 760k on my banking chit.

I had 100k deposited back in within hours.

At my local I.O. I went and saw 'the boss'  with the hospital bills and the bank chits , and she said there was no harm done as the money was quickly replaced.

Hopefully the same will happen for you.

That's what you call discretion and it's nice to hear that at least some IO's are using it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

What a ridiculous situation, when an honest mistake turns a good guy into a bad one. Should serve as a cautionary warning to others anyway to allow a small amount as a buffer zone. Good luck with the extension, hope they use a bit of common sense. 

Thai immigration and common sense????

19 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

In that case it would be extremely harsh for them to penalize you when the 399T was only an interim balance. As long as the closing balance for the day was 400T you should be fine, but you never know with immigration. Best to run it by them first if you can.

"In that case it would be extremely harsh for them to penalize you".

Thai immigration are not known for their leniency, but strange things do happen.

19 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

They made up the book so it reads:

28/06/19 ATM ********400.00               399.610.30

28/06/19 TRD ********2000.00              401,610.30

Sorry, I must've put 2,000 in (which was "cash" as in a transfer from another bank with a couple of quid in it).

RAZZ

Firstly Daily balance did not go under 400K so nothing worry about !

But Really with all this fannying around, and money tied up and worry, surely an agent is now the best way to go, then you have no money tied up, no worries for another year for an average cost of around 50 THB a day..its a no brainer!

Edited by poohy
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Agreed.

However, I would recommend for the OP to keep his 400K in a savings account with no ATM card to access it (hence no yearly fee). I also assume the OP has other money that can be spent. Someday when it is my turn to play the game, I will park the 400K in an account, and leave it untouched.

I would still leave a few hundred over the 400K just in case, it is a Thai bank you are dealing with.

15 hours ago, Joinaman said:

They fined me for being one day late , with my 800,00 even though it was the banks fault

They said they can help me if i pay fine, but could not explain the rules when i asked, nor would they look at the official paperwork i offered them

Also refuse to allow 2 months prior, which would have meant i had no problems, but they insisted on 3 months prior, and then fined me

See what I mean when I said that Thai immigration are not known for their leniency.

9 minutes ago, poohy said:

Firstly Daily balance did not go under 400K so nothing worry about !

But Really with all this fannying around, and money tied up and worry, surely an agent is now the best way to go, then you have no money tied up, no worries for another year for an average cost of around 50 THB a day..its a no brainer!

No just apply a different brain rather than no brain. At the moment I prefer to tie up the cash, than risk a particular agent office falling foul of immigration and a list of their customers becoming liable for some extra scrutiny. I would never say never though. If more silliness is applied, I will use an agent... (which is what Immigration appear to want ultimately).

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, Kenchamp said:

That's what you call discretion and it's nice to hear that at least some IO's are using it.

As I said strange things do happen. ????

Edited by possum1931

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No just apply a different brain rather than no brain. At the moment I prefer to tie up the cash, than risk a particular agent office falling foul of immigration and a list of their customers becoming liable for some extra scrutiny. I would never say never though. If more silliness is applied, I will use an agent... (which is what Immigration appear to want ultimately).

As far as I'm aware, agents offices and IOs work together, they both depend on each other to keep up their income streams. Anyone know of any agents office ever falling foul of immigration, perhaps apart from a

brown envelope being lighter than expected.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

In that case it would be extremely harsh for them to penalize you when the 399T was only an interim balance. As long as the closing balance for the day was 400T you should be fine, but you never know with immigration. Best to run it by them first if you can.

I tend to agree with this. The account I use changed available interest rates. In order to get that rate, they had to take all of the money out of the account, then put it back in. I still don't understand why, but the long and short of it is that the end-of-the-day balance didn't fall below where I needed it, no matter the transactions that took place during the day.

I'd just turn in your paperwork as usual. They won't even notice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As far as I'm aware, agents offices and IOs work together, they both depend on each other to keep up their income streams. Anyone know of any agents office ever falling foul of immigration, perhaps apart from a

brown envelope being lighter than expected.

There was a scam some years ago of an agent using IOs to stamp passports out and in while the owners chugged beer in Soi Cowboy. When uncovered, those who had used the facility were pursued and punished. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Yes, my own stupidity but I didn't know about the 400 baht fee for the ATM card. ????

RAZZ

I don't blame you, some of these fees they add make me wonder and it does my head in when I can't distinguish which are which in my Kasikorn.   I know of the account fee which is yearly but why do we need to pay for an ATM card unless its being replaced? (even replacement cards are free in most countries)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There was a scam some years ago of an agent using IOs to stamp passports out and in while the owners chugged beer in Soi Cowboy. When uncovered, those who had used the facility were pursued and punished. 

Yes i think that was "The Wall" incident a bar was arranging stamps for visa runs,

Todays agents are invariably well connected To IM officer(s) probably different agents different officers

Most importantly though, a cut from all goes UPWARDS... so a reasonably a safe bet they will protect them

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

While the passport owners chugged beer in Soi Cowboy? This does not make sense to me at all.

Can you explain further?

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

While the passport owners chugged beer in Soi Cowboy? This does not make sense to me at all.

Can you explain further?

Simply their passports went on a border hop, they did not.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Can you explain further?

I thing he means passports "appeared" to leave the country whilst owners of said passports just "Chugged "drank beer whilst awaiting passports to come back from their "holiday"

• Thanks 1

Right, I am on about day 50 after depositing 400k in my Bangkok Bank savings account.  

My visa runs out 24th July.

I went into the bank to start preparing and they made up my bank book.

When I got it back they had deducted 400 baht for the yearly ATM charged - which took me down to 399,600!

I immediately deposited 1k baht which is all I had in my pocket.

Will I get refused an extension when I apply in about 10 days time?

What are my options if they do? 

Many thanks:wai:

RAZZ

If you deposited the 1000 the same day the 400 came out, use bank statements rather than passbook. Bank statements should have an end of day balance should be 400,600. Problem solved i think but you need to check