Dipped under 400k. What happens now?

Right, I am on about day 50 after depositing 400k in my Bangkok Bank savings account.

My visa runs out 24th July.

I went into the bank to start preparing and they made up my bank book.

When I got it back they had deducted 400 baht for the yearly ATM charged - which took me down to 399,600!

I immediately deposited 1k baht which is all I had in my pocket.

Will I get refused an extension when I apply in about 10 days time?

What are my options if they do? 

Many thanks:wai:

RAZZ

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They might let it slide if it was below 400k baht for a short period of time. 

If not you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. Then apply for the one year extension when you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

They took the money out today so it was for about 1 minute!

RAZZ

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All you can do is try to do your extension and plead your case that it was not an intentional withdrawn from the account.

Next time put a little extra to allow for such deductions as the ATM card fee.

Yes, my own stupidity but I didn't know about the 400 baht fee for the ATM card. ????

RAZZ

5 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

If the charge went through and you deposited enough the same day to cover it, it shouldn't show a closing balance below 400T. 

They made up the book so it reads:

28/06/19 ATM ********400.00               399.610.30

28/06/19 TRD ********2000.00              401,610.30

Sorry, I must've put 2,000 in (which was "cash" as in a transfer from another bank with a couple of quid in it).

RAZZ

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Sadly I have heard of Extensions being denied for short term below requirement. Not immigration's fault it happened. This is obviously not a FD account, so why oh why try to keep it at exactly 400,000! That may be crazier!

It was just a normal savings account.

Hopefully, I will be ok. 

If not then it appears I can get an extension when my current entry stamp runs out on the 24th July, my multi-O expired on 30th May.

EDIT - one final thing. The 400k was deposited 13th May. I have read different things - do they count that as a full day or not?

What would be my sixty days? 12th July.

If I get my Mrs to book Monday 15th I should be fine?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's only a matter of time before Immigration demand a letter, or shall I say, a certificate, that states an account has had a balance over 400k for the last 12 months. 

Nonsense

The police order states the 400k baht is to live on for the year

"must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

What a ridiculous situation, when an honest mistake turns a good guy into a bad one. Should serve as a cautionary warning to others anyway to allow a small amount as a buffer zone. Good luck with the extension, hope they use a bit of common sense. 

Agreed.

However, I would recommend for the OP to keep his 400K in a savings account with no ATM card to access it (hence no yearly fee). I also assume the OP has other money that can be spent. Someday when it is my turn to play the game, I will park the 400K in an account, and leave it untouched.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Agreed.

However, I would recommend for the OP to keep his 400K in a savings account with no ATM card to access it (hence no yearly fee). I also assume the OP has other money that can be spent. Someday when it is my turn to play the game, I will park the 400K in an account, and leave it untouched.

Lesson learnt.

I get about 100+k a month plus at the moment and I am also waiting to sell my house in the UK which should be a another few quid in the bank ????

RAZZ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nonsense

The police order states the 400k baht is to live on for the year

"must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

You are certainly more knowledgeable than me, UJ, but aren't we talking about the perpetual 400k, one way, or another?

I'm thinking, it will not be long before a bank letter / certificate will be needed, for a fee, of course, to prove a constant balance of 400k, over 12 months.

Just like the other bank letters.  Same Same.

Why do you think it is nonsense, when a variation of it already exists? 

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You are certainly more knowledgeable than me, UJ, but aren't we talking about the perpetual 400k, one way, or another?

I think you are confusing the 400k baht that has to stay in the bank for an extension based upon retirement with the 400k baht needed for an extension of stay based upon marriage that is being discussed in this topic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you are confusing the 400k baht that has to stay in the bank for an extension based upon retirement with the 400k baht needed for an extension of stay based upon marriage that is being discussed in this topic.

Yes.  I thought so, however, my prediction for the future remains the same, for both.

The bank letters are already in existence.

The 400k, for both visas / extensions, will probably need a letter in the future as well.

I am not scaremongering.

I can just see it going that way.

• Like 1

What a ridiculous situation, when an honest mistake turns a good guy into a bad one. Should serve as a cautionary warning to others anyway to allow a small amount as a buffer zone. Good luck with the extension, hope they use a bit of common sense. 
Not ridiculous other wise the law would say " about 400k maybe just a bit less but more than just a bit maybe not good"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They fined me for being one day late , with my 800,00 even though it was the banks fault

They said they can help me if i pay fine, but could not explain the rules when i asked, nor would they look at the official paperwork i offered them

Also refuse to allow 2 months prior, which would have meant i had no problems, but they insisted on 3 months prior, and then fined me

• Like 2

Problem with certain immigration staff is they are looking for ways to deny an extension/visa so they can get their tea money. Depends who you will deal with
Making sure you keep the 400k up to date has nothing to do with immigration no matter how you spin it.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Absolutely crazy that one is reduced to worrying about getting a new visa/extension, all because your bank balance went down by 400 baht for a few minutes.

Hey everyone, that frog is slowly getting boiled alive and you haven't noticed! [emoji846]

Exactly.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I put in my application for extension due to Thai wife today at the Buriram IO.   Everything was in order. Next job is to turn up with a bank letter (100 baht last year, now 200) same as today's on 27th July to prove I still have the money, effectively tying up my cash for a total of 3 months, not 2.    I thought I had everything sorted but must now bring in more AUD at the current lousy rate.