Coming to Thailand for 6 months from the UK

I have a friend aged over 60 & married to a Thai who wants to come the Thailand every year for the English winter. He did not want to tie up THB800000 or show THB65000 every month in a Thai Bank.

I suggested a Multi Entry Visa from the London Embassy which last month they confirmed would be ok. However the Embassy has now stopped issuing these visas.

Can anyone suggest his best course of action, being that he does not want to keep doing visa runs.

I know several people who com to Thailand for their countries winter & who relied on the Multi Entry Visa who might want to winter elsewhere if there is not a viable option.

I & he would be thankful for anyones useful suggestions 

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He could get a single entry non-o visa and then extend the 90 day entry for 60 days to visit his wife.

Or get the single entry non-o visa and then go to Savannakhet Laos to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. No financial proof is needed to apply for it.

Can he extend again for 60 days on his first 90 days  of his new multiple entry visa?

10 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Can he extend again for 60 days on his first 90 days  of his new multiple entry visa?

Yes he could do that. The only limit for applying for one is that only one per entry is allowed.

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Non Imm O SE from London = 90 days, + 60 day extension = 150 days + border run VE entry 30 days = 180 days.

Correct but the advantage of getting a multiple entry non-o visa after 150 days is that he could use it it for his next trip since it would still be valid. 

He accepts he might have to do a border run but wants to keep it to a minimum. He may only come for 5 months so the 90 day visa in London + 60 day extension would fit the bill.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:18 AM, Groodman said:

He accepts he might have to do a border run but wants to keep it to a minimum. He may only come for 5 months so the 90 day visa in London + 60 day extension would fit the bill.

I couldn't see a way that he didn't have to do a boarder run, unless he went down the retirement visa path, which you said he also did not want to do.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:18 AM, Groodman said:

Friend of mine has been doing the SE plus 60 days for the same reasons for a few years. He will have a problem this year, understood the postal system but switching on a computer is just not in the vocabulary.