What is Limit on Withdrawals Using Bangkok Bank ATM Card in Australia?

26 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Why would I have to arrange with an Oz bank using a Thai ATM card?

Surely first you need to first to set a limit with BBL.

This to some extent protects you from massive continuous unauthorized withdrawals by scammers etc.

Is it not also true that the bank you choose to approach in Australia and use their ATM machine would also have policies to limit withdrawals and protect against problems and issues and investigations etc., when foreign cards are used in their machines?

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Surely first you need to first to set a limit with BBL.

This to some extent protects you from massive continuous unauthorized withdrawals by scammers etc.

Is it not also true that the bank you choose to approach in Australia and use their ATM machine would also have policies to limit withdrawals and protect against problems and issues and investigations etc., when foreign cards are used in their machines?

Yes I now believe that I will have to organise a limit with BBL.

And yes Australian banks would set limits and hence my question on here. Maybe some one has done it previously and have an idea on limits.

Edited by Dazinoz

All Thai banks have a global limit for online and electronic transactions and then individual limits for various functions e.g ATM, Card spending, app payments etc. These can be adjusted by the customer either online, through a call centre or at a branch.  up to a maximum limit.

In the case of BBL the default global limit is 500k/day which can be set either online or through the call centre.

1184231537_2019-06-29(2).png.80f0e3f3ac7954811b2c5d4d9640b227.png

But this global limit can be increased to 2M/day by visiting a branch and submitting documents as below

590906377_2019-06-29(1).png.cda864772eccbff4d22a4479b1126e89.png

I don't recall what the maximum daily ATM limit for BBL is but at Kasikorn it is 200k/day so I guess it will be similar. You can ask the BBL call centre on 02-645 5555.

In theory, with another 4 accounts and ATM cards you could transfer 200k/day to each of those accounts and withdraw via ATM on each card for a maximum withdrawal of 1M/day. But you would be standing in front of the ATM for quite a while and it might pay to have someone keep a lookout for you lol.

I have experienced in the past that the overseas ATM seems to have an arbitrary maximum daily limit for a foreign ATM card. The ATM machine doesn't tell you that but it just stops working with various failure messages. Other times I have had no problem withdrawing the foreign equivalent of the 200k limit. In any case if that happens, you can just go to a different bank.

• Thanks 1

I have used my Bangkok bank atm card in Australia at a NAB and CBA atm and was able to withdraw $1000 at a time, which is the Daily limit on these machines. Using my Bangkok card in Thailand I can withdraw 50,000 Bhat a day, last time I checked. 

What is the fee that Bangkok Bank charges for 'Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard' if I use it in Malaysia or Australia as well as ATM withdrawels? I've tried to call them but they don't understand my question and they never reply to my emails when I email them through their website. I don't know why they don't list it on their website....

Edited by organicman

13 hours ago, organicman said:

What is the fee that Bangkok Bank charges for 'Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard' if I use it in Malaysia or Australia as well as ATM withdrawels? I've tried to call them but they don't understand my question and they never reply to my emails when I email them through their website. I don't know why they don't list it on their website....

Bangkok Bank debit cards have the below overseas transaction costs.  Although below talks their Visa debit card it applies to their UnionPay and Mastercard also. Basically a 2.5% foreign transaction fee (i.e., conversion charge) plus a Bt100 flat fee.   

When making payments or withdrawing cash overseas with your Be1st Visa Debit card, the amount will be converted to Thai Baht based on Visa's normal exchange rates with a conversion charge added which will not exceed 2.5% of the exchange rate applied. Cash withdrawals will be charged a flat fee of 100Bt.

What about if I purchase something from the US in US currency, say from Amazon? Do I pay 2.5% foreign transaction fee as well? 

Yeap...that's a payment...a foriegn payment to purchase something...a currency conversion.