Can farang husband go with Thai wife in BKK immigration queue?

We are traveling back to Thailand (on Air China) in a few days.  After seeing the recent horror stories about the immigration queues, I would like to find out defintively (from some with experience) if I can go in the Thai citizen line with my wife.

Some have reported they can, others have reported that they have been kicked out of the line. 

The best approach, as I have read it, is if your Wife is first and Politely asks the Immigration Officer if her Husband can join her in the queue. Its worth a try, if it works great, if not, you have lost a few mins. 

The Immigration queue may or may not be large when you arrive - its something out of your control and not really worth worrying about - just give the Thai line a try and see how it goes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, westsail said:

I would like to find out defintively (from some with experience) if I can go in the Thai citizen line with my wife.

Yes...I have done so every year

Sometimes I am told by Imm officer to go that way as soon as they see us approach together

Other times I went ahead just followed my wife & never a problem.

I always follow my wife through the Thai queue and she deliberately goes to where there is a female IO.  She always say to the IO is it OK to bring my hansum husband too and too date I always do and get greeted with  a big smile from the IO.   After my wife has gone thro' and the IO is checking my passport I have been asked if I am here for short time or long time with a smile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't yet encountered a queue long enough to try it, but getting me and my Thai b/f thru together might be an interesting experience.

Works no problem on entering Oz ("Australian & NZ passport holders and family").

Before the automated gates for Thais this worked well at Survanabumi Airport.

But now with the automated gates, it's not possible anymore. Except you are one from the accepted countries (I think singapore are allowed now).

7 hours ago, westsail said:

After seeing the recent horror stories about the immigration queues

If your passport and visa are not up to date and correct it will not matter which line. 

I have not seen horror stories of entering legally at the airport immigration (which I believe you are speaking of) 

From my experience, it is generally acceptable -- if not expected -- that a family group (including just a married couple) not be separated when entering the immigration queue area. So, both a Thai and non-Thai spouse could use a Thai (non-automated) line. But what I have found at Suvarnabhumi is that many of those unskilled helpers whose job is to herd people into queues just look at the faces and decide that a farang belongs in the non-Thai line. On multiple occasions I've had one pull me away to go in a separate line. After I reluctantly started walking away, a different sheep dog barked for me to go back in queue with my wife. The earlier advice to humbly ask ahead of time is good. Worst case, it's no big deal to separate and rejoin on the other side (unless there are kids in tow).

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I've asked the OP's question of the local staff there at the airport managing the queues, about half the time the answer is YES, and about the other half of the time the answer is NO...  If anything, the Thais are consistent in their inconsistency.

Are you talking answers in relation to only the airport immigration queue...or at the immigration office...or at the bank...  TIT   ????

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The best approach, as I have read it, is if your Wife is first and Politely asks the Immigration Officer if her Husband can join her in the queue. Its worth a try, if it works great, if not, you have lost a few mins. 

Yes, let your wife do the talking. We came back through Swampy a couple of weeks back and I was allowed to accompany my wife into the Thai passport lane.

This is the passport desk to the side, not the e-gate which you obviously can't use.

Edited by Stocky

54 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

If your passport and visa are not up to date and correct it will not matter which line. 

I have not seen horror stories of entering legally at the airport immigration (which I believe you are speaking of)  

And I believe the poster refers to this recent picture and the stories found in the forum (1.5 hours to baggage line etc.):

D-EkBb2U0AA6qQO?format=jpg&name=medium

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I always follow my wife through the Thai queue and she deliberately goes to where there is a female IO.  She always say to the IO is it OK to bring my hansum husband too and too date I always do and get greeted with  a big smile from the IO.   After my wife has gone thro' and the IO is checking my passport I have been asked if I am here for short time or long time with a smile.

555 !! " Hansum Husband "