Thailand my fountain of youth.

Calling some friends last weekend.  1 Heart transplant, 2 strokes, many heart attacks.  Stress and church and the wife.  

When I stepped out of that taxi I'd forgotten he'd tried to rip me off and left me in the wrong place and I had to lug suitcase an extra two blocks to check in at the Nana Plaza.  I'd arrived and my cares drifted off my back like a short  tropical storm.  

When I moved to Thailand it was like a put out a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my life.  Everybody stopped calling me.  I didn't miss it.  I didn't miss the calls at all.  I'm a loner.  Always have been.  If I drop you a 20 word message once every couple of years consider yourself family or a close friend.  People don't remember my birthday and I don't remember theirs and I'm calm.  Forgetting a wife's birthday or anniversary used to cause me stress - no more.  

I don't do anything I don't want to do outside of the blood and poop lady 4 times a year at the hospital and a once a year visit to Immigration. The rest of the time is mine.  Never bored.  Never sad.  Never crying in my beer.  

What has this removal of stress done for my longevity?  Added 15 years so far.  If I pass away tomorrow the whole thing has been worth it in spades.  I was never a one woman man.  No man in my family has been (distant relative of House of Windsor).  In the West all of my acquaintances are dropping like flies.   They work too hard, worry too much and live too little.  

Couldn't agree more. The only stress here is the stress you create yourself. The requirements for being here -- retirement or marriage -- are really nothing, especially when you compare it to where you come from. I don't usually know what day it is, never know what time it is, and couldn't care less. It's all quite Einsteinian time-wise; no past, no future, just now, lots of now.

1 hour ago, Anagami said:

For some, LEAVING Thailand is just as invigorating. ????

HELL. YAH!!!!!!!  Dam rights.  It's almost an orgasm to leave Thai Immigration, CM smog, road kill, Thai BS, etc...

12 minutes ago, mike787 said:

HELL. YAH!!!!!!!  Dam rights.  It's almost an orgasm to leave Thai Immigration, CM smog, road kill, Thai BS, etc...

.. whinging farangs could be added to the list?

A reported flame post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I think i understand what the op meant about worries and hard work and though i live in a modern western capital, I barely never worry, am very careful about working as less as I can.

Now that I am not a young man anymore, if i look back at the past, i feel i have lived not only one life but a few so now, laid back with my wife and then move in Thailand when retired in 2 or 3 years. In fact I think I live like i wd in Thailand, except that it's downtown cold Paris...

jJai yen yen wife says, we match for sure ????

Cheers

fred 

There is something to the OP's comment. Every time, I arrive in Thailand I immediately start to feel "different". I am instantly more relaxed. Nothing seems to be overly important anymore. Must be in the air.
This "feeling good phase" usually last for a month. Then (inevitably), certain Thai-realities start to sneak up on me, wether I like it or not.

After a while I prefer not to visit my Thai Aquaintances anymore. They mostly claim that their lives haven't improved over the years and can't foresee a much improved future for their children. The Expats seem to have settlet into a semi-content mode: "It's OK here. And besides why and where should I relocate at my age?" But little enthusiasm for Thailand noticable (anymore).

To circumnavigate this less than "upbeat" environment, I increasingly enjoy my own company. This way I can still enjoy frequent Thai-Holidays before the "feeling good phase" starts to wear thin. Works fine for me. This "on and off" Thailand modus serves as my personal "fountain of youth". Hope I can drink from this "fountain of youth" for a few more years.
The great Manitou permitting.

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

'Distant relative of the house of Windsor ??? haha just how distant ?

as someone who has nothing but contempt for that shower I am looking forward to this ….

Oh come on. What would happen to all the women's magazines in Australia if the Royal Family and their production line of progeny were not around to gush over? They create a lot of employment. I'm not saying it is useful.

Now that you have found the key to happiness you must be careful not to ruin it by making too many friends that live close by. The best friends are the once you can meet in a cafe once a year, for an hour to catch up, and they are fine with that.

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The British never occupied Thailand. It would probably be a better place if they had.

Yes they did in 1945 at the end of the hostilities, British and Indian military forces occupied Thailand to disarm and repatriate the surrendered Japanese.

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

In what way ?

High taxes ? Relentless persecution of motorists ? Widespread stabbings ? 

I've never been stabbed in Thailand. I'd much rather be stopped by the RTP than the police in the UK (have experienced both on several occasions). I've never paid tax in Thailand except purchase tax, 7% in Thailand compared to 17.5% in the UK.

I have an incomparably better life here than I did in the UK. I can now live for the moment. As I type this my only worry is what and where to eat lunch.

Archived