Bank Accounts, Tabien Baan, and Residency Certificate’s

Bank Accounts, Tabien Baan, and Residency Certificate’s

First, I have a Bank account, but wanted to get another to keep my R Visa money separate.  Not one I use for everyday expenses. My bank said fine, do you have a work permit. NO ... What about a Tabien Baan?.

I have the copies with the original signature of my landlord for this condo. He signed the copy. I have been told that he signed pages from the ‘Tabien Baan’. BTW I used this to get a Driver’s license, months back. Does that qualify as a “Tabien Baan” ?  it is not a yellow or blue book, as I am renting and do not own, the condo.

I ask because the other way, I am told is to get a “Certificate of Residency”, and use that to get a bank account. Now do I get a Cert of R. at Immigration or do I go the route of getting it from my embassy? I could do it both ways.

Thanks for any information advice, comments.

Edited by Dcheech

The certificate of residence you can become from Immigration. But like for Chaeng Wattana you need to have done a 90 day report before you can apply for one.

About the Tabien Bahn (Yellow Book) you not need to be the owner to become one. As Renter you are also able to hold one. The question is more how difficult it is to obtain it. As some office it is very easy and at other they make if complicated.

There would be another option for a certificate of residence and this would be go to your embassy. Or at least this is what works with my swiss embassy.

Another simple Way is try another person at your bank or even try another branch! As the rules are not completely same. Sometimes this the easiest way!

55 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Do I understand you correctly.

You already have a bank account, but the same bank now requires proof of your address to open a second account!

Which bank?

Not uncommon, BBL and LH banks required my yellow tabbies baan and passport again to open new accounts even though I have several other accounts with each bank. Bank at the same BBL branch for over 10 years but they still insisted on new document copies. Go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Which bank?

Krungthai Bank and I have had the account for 12 years.

BTW there is another OP on the current boards about something similar …  My bank account, the original branch I established this account at is near Bangkok.  Which means that if I did the 800 K, deposit I would then need to travel down there to get the letter, then back up to Chiang Mai, then clunk in my savings book in ATM after a withdrawal and hurry on down to Immigration with both these jewels. Boy that sounds fun!

That is another reason why I would like a new Bank account

I should state I was in there (KT  -  at KSG) dumping in a chunk of money in cash, I had brought back from overseas. Yes I was showered, shaved and clean but wearing shorts, sandals and summer shirt. I was just asking for information but there you go and being Thailand, it did not surprise me at all. Yes I will dress appropriately and hit them up again but I am going to get a residency certificate, whether at the embassy or at Immigration (via a visa agent) .

A thai friend is coming back the 28th  and she could help do it but I want to be done with it by then. If I knew this was going to be YET ANOTHER hassle I would have done it three months back before I went on vacation. Grrr

37 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Not uncommon, BBL and LH banks required my yellow tabbies baan and passport again to open new accounts even though I have several other accounts with each bank. Bank at the same BBL branch for over 10 years but they still insisted on new document copies. Go figure.

Yes, proof of address required for opening each new account, but what did the OP use as proof of address to open the first account?

8 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Krungthai Bank and I have had the account for 12 years.

BTW there is another OP on the current boards about something similar …  My bank account, the original branch I established this account at is near Bangkok.  Which means that if I did the 800 K, deposit I would then need to travel down there to get the letter, then back up to Chiang Mai, then clunk in my savings book in ATM after a withdrawal and hurry on down to Immigration with both these jewels. Boy that sounds fun!

A couple of pointers.

Firstly if you have an account at a branch in a Province where you no longer reside, you'll pay 'out of province' withdrawal charges. 

To open a new account, same bank, different branch they usually require a copy of a rental contract, signed copies of the landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, or more increasingly now a 'certificate of residence' from your local IO. (This is proof you've registered your current address with Immigration).

However if you have the Yellow Tabien Baan and ID card for foreigners, these are similarly accepted as proof of a registered address by a number of banks.

You could also ask your local branch to transfer your A/c in Bangkok to their branch, to avoid out of province withdrawal charges.

4 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

I take it the signed copies I used for the drivers license with would NOT work as a Tabien Baaan book ? 

According to Krungthai for opening a Savings or Fixed Term account;

Documents for opening an account.
  • Valid National Identification Smart Card.

Convenient with other documents.
In case of National Identification Smart card is not readable. Other document can be used as following.
  • Copy of House registration or
  • Valid Identification card issued by government agencies with photo and national Identification number e.g. Official, State enterprise, Government employee identification card, Passport, Driving license.

https://www.ktb.co.th/en/personal/detail/37

https://www.ktb.co.th/en/personal/detail/38

I assume the address you currently reside at is the same address used for your current Krungthai account, on your driving licence and registered with Immigration.

Which IO do you use?

Have you filed a TM30?

Edited by Tanoshi

14 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

So best use a VISA service and get a quick Residence Certificate vs Embassy and try that way? 

Time more important than money. 

Be aware so embassies will not do certificate of residence (equivalent). 

Au being one. 

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume the address you currently reside at is the same address used for your current Krungthai account, on your driving licence and registered with Immigration.

Which IO do you use?

Have you filed a TM30?

No - my current address is Chiang Mai and that is NOT on my KrungThai Bank Account which is the original bank of issue - Bangkok.

My driving license
My Tm30
TM28 (defunct up here, but I filled it out)

Are all on the CHIANG MAI Address.

the copies of and landord signed, are of the Chiang Mai address, as is my one year lease agreement.

Everything has been correctly changed to Chiang Mai .  I have done two 90 day notices at the Chiang MaI Immigration and all has been  -RibRoy- 

And as of two weeks back, took my TM30 to CM Immigration as I had been out of the country. They did whatever it is they do, gave me a new little thing they stamped and sent me on my way.

Edited by Dcheech

Well I can understand the bank requesting more evidence.

You have an existing account using a Bangkok address.

Now you want to open a new account using a CM address.

Using your debit card in CM you'll be charged out of province withdrawal fees for one.

Had you requested at the branch in CM to transfer your BKK account to them, using your CM address, I doubt you'd be having a problem opening a secondary account.

What exactly did the branch in CM request as proof of address, I'd guess at a 'certificate of residence' from CM IO.

By the way, you can obtain the letters required for extension purposes from any branch. 

Edited by Tanoshi

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Do I understand you correctly.

You already have a bank account, but the same bank now requires proof of your address to open a second account!

Which bank?

KBank requested documentation with me, account for 7 years

To the OP: I just opened a BBL account with my Thai drivers license and my ED Visa and nothing more. I did have my gf with me to vouch for me though, guessing that made the difference?

my experience anyway...

You should not have a problem buying a Recidence Certificate from CM immigration for DL and then using it at bank for the new account. Every branch won’t do it though so you must shop around. You can tell them you need it for retirement visa deposit 800k.