Video: Thai lady shopper throws a hissy fit after the thief alarm sounds

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Camillof said:

My guess is that this lady reacted like that because she's suffering from a history of harassment by that supermarket's security staff. If I'm guessing right, all of my solidarity goes to the lady and all of my scorn to those security staff.

'guess'

14 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Felt like doing the same thing the last time I tried to redeem my Big C points.

I see now Big C want proof of who you are before redeeming anything with the Big C card.

When I asked why, they said that some people have been using other people's Big C card to redeem points. What does that matter? Big C have the money already that you (or someone else has spent), you have a valid card in your possession, it doesn't affect them.

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I see now Big C want proof of who you are before redeeming anything with the Big C card.

When I asked why, they said that some people have been using other people's Big C card to redeem points. What does that matter? Big C have the money already that you (or someone else has spent), you have a valid card in your possession, it doesn't affect them.

I had a long conversation with Big C's home office customer service department on that very issue, and they claimed that they had to go through this security process because some bozo had threatened to sue them over "stolen" Big C points.

I got really exasperated with customer service because my original passport number in their system didn't match my renewed passport number and they were acting like it was a code red security breach. Compounding my frustration was that my total points available balance dropped mysteriously. I had calculated exactly how many more points I needed to hit 50,000, but because the total points available dropped unexpectedly, I had to go back into the store, purchase more stuff to go over 50,000 points and was then told I could only use the 50,000 points on my next purchase, so had to go back into the store and shop for a third time. Arrrgh.

Just FYI, Big C has a phone number 1756 you can check your point balance automatically. It keys off your phone number, so you don't have to enter your Big C card number. The head office customer service department also had a Filipina women who spoke perfect English and provided excellent customer service.

It would be pretty humiliating to be unjustly accused of theft, even for someone lacking the alleged Asian obsession with loss of face. The store could have offered to waive the bill on the items she’d purchased. Probably an urban myth, but many, many years ago I read of a case where Britain’s most upscale department store unjustly accused a lady of shoplifting. The apologetic management told her she could have anything in the store as compensation, and she chose a grand piano.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

hmmmm .....  but what's hiding under the white dress.  The security alarm didn't go off for no reason.

I wonder, too if you're right

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I had a long conversation with Big C's home office customer service department on that very issue, and they claimed that they had to go through this security process because some bozo had threatened to sue them over "stolen" Big C points.

I got really exasperated with customer service because my original passport number in their system didn't match my renewed passport number and they were acting like it was a code red security breach. Compounding my frustration was that my total points available balance dropped mysteriously. I had calculated exactly how many more points I needed to hit 50,000, but because the total points available dropped unexpectedly, I had to go back into the store, purchase more stuff to go over 50,000 points and was then told I could only use the 50,000 points on my next purchase, so had to go back into the store and shop for a third time. Arrrgh.

Just FYI, Big C has a phone number 1756 you can check your point balance automatically. It keys off your phone number, so you don't have to enter your Big C card number. The head office customer service department also had a Filipina women who spoke perfect English and provided excellent customer service.

I also had a conversation with the very same Filipino lady. Yes, she speaks perfect English and was appreciative when I told her so.

I asked to change my ID from my passport (now expired) to my Thai pink ID, as that number will never change. She told me to go into my local Big C to do it.  I did and it took two minutes to change, despite having my name originally in English when I applied for the card, on the Thai ID it's only in Thai, so no direct correlation between the two, but it didn't seem to worry them. Sorted the problem out though.

You got to love Thailand not a cop insight, in the states she would have been cuffedand off to the back office for disturbing the peace. If she had been black a good chance she would have been shot

8 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Actually the bigger crime in Thailand was at the one minute mark when she threw her smartphone.

How is a Thai supposed to survive without a mobile facebook device?

Change that last sentence.  How is 'anybody'......It's all over the world.  I live in a small country town in Europe and anytime I look out of one of my windows, there are always people on their phones.

8 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Actually what makes it worse is near the end she actually starts moving (kicking) the coins with her feet.

I'm surprised that none of the other Thais there spoke to her about that.

She tidies up her mess.

Very common for those alarms to go off when the cashier clerk forgets to remove the security magnetic tag off the valuable ( or favorite item to be shoplifted by thieves). Those Gillette razor blades are “guarded” with one of those security tags which I always have to make sure the clerk removes the round security disc before I check out. A common shopper is use to these alarms going off. Maybe Khun Hissy-Fit did something dishonest or she has never shopped before in a big city.

8 minutes ago, toenail said:

Very common for those alarms to go off when the cashier clerk forgets to remove the security magnetic tag off the valuable ( or favorite item to be shoplifted by thieves). Those Gillette razor blades are “guarded” with one of those security tags which I always have to make sure the clerk removes the round security disc before I check out. A common shopper is use to these alarms going off. Maybe Khun Hissy-Fit did something dishonest or she has never shopped before in a big city.

Interesting comment about not having shopped before in a big city.

About five years ago I was on the escalator in Big C Udon when an elderly couple were trying to use it for the first time. Their daughter was trying to coax them onto the escalator.

Those alarms go off falsely with some regularity in Canada. If she didn't want to be searched she should have had them call the police. Then asked the store for compensation for being detained. Left her stuff on the floor. Then had the staff charged with theft if they didn't return it all to her. :tongue:

1 hour ago, mettech said:

thai lady when they reach 40 or so years old they turn to become devils.My ex was like that.crazy cheek.

We Chinese has a saying “a lady of 40 is a tigress but a lady of 50 is a dragon! “

Big C should have a display policy of compensation for wrongly triggered alarm for customers. This would keep the security people at their toes as well as the check out counter people ( who may forget to deactivate the alarm trigger).  Nobody should suffer the loss of face for such an incident. Security people can be better trained to be more discrete upon checking the bag by not looking at the person with ‘accusing’ eyes or behaviors.

4 minutes ago, ZAKY said:

She is 100% right! The people inside the cctv control room should be absolutely certain that the women has hidden something before humiliating her in front of other shoppers

That's a very easy thing to say.

Apart from the fact that in a large supermarket it must be difficult for CCTV staff to spot everything all the time, plus knowing the attention span of a lot of people here makes that even more difficult.
I'm not trying to make excuses, but security tags have been around for decades now, so people know what they are for - and why. Been checked very occasionally by security staff has to be accepted as part of using a supermarket.

It's subjective saying 'being humiliated in front of other shoppers' as you put. Not that it's ever happened to me so far, I hasten to add.

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

hmmmm .....  but what's hiding under the white dress.  The security alarm didn't go off for no reason.

Sure they do, the checkout operators are dumb.

I've walked through one of these before and the alarm sounded, they had failed to disabled whatever security sticker was in use on the slightly expensive item.

Nobody cared, I did look around at the cashier but they'd moved on to the next customers already so I just walked on. What do I care....

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The staff put it on their own card if you don't have one.you could be nicking points they wanted. 

21 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

A complete fruitcake and dangerous to boot.

Does anyone have her contact details and know if she is single. ????

Likely a nut, but me, being called the "rule follower" by my family get quite upset when a K Mart or wal mart checker wants to look in my bags as I leave the store, even though I just went through the cashier paying line about ten feet away. Haven't thrown a tantrum yet, but at the K mart, when the person asked, I repeat asked if he could look in my bag, I politely said No, and kept walking.  Don't ask a question if you can't take the answer!

12 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Big C should have a display policy of compensation for wrongly triggered alarm for customers. This would keep the security people at their toes as well as the check out counter people ( who may forget to deactivate the alarm trigger).  Nobody should suffer the loss of face for such an incident. Security people can be better trained to be more discrete upon checking the bag by not looking at the person with ‘accusing’ eyes or behaviors.

My attitude toward something like this would be .... I haven't stole anything or done nothing wrong so I don't have anything to worry about or be ashamed of.

Am I wrong ,  or should one throw a fit just to show one's disagreement   ??

Archived