Help! My Pipe Is Leaking!

NCC1701A

I need something to seal a small leak in the point of two metal pipes. This is a stainless pipe with a right angle thread going to a water filter reduction input valve which is also metal.

I could use some PVC glue but I was wondering if there was something specifically for leaks on metal, maybe sets faster and more dense than PVC glue.   

Also I don't want to disassemble this thing if I can avoid it. Just paint something all over it. ????

And can this stuff be found in Thailand?  

Even if it works temporarily, applying something to the surface won't work for long. If you can't unscrew the pipe you will have to cut it and find or have somebody make for you, a new piece. I'm betting that no sealant was used when connecting the pipe so you should be bale to remove, apply sealing tape and epoxy, and replace it in ten minutes.

• Like 2

If it’s a thread then you need to do as Crossy says and use ptfe tape or thread sealant which is white ( not to be confused with thread locker which is commonly blue ).
My local SCG stockist has a display of Loctite products, check yours out.

Should look something like this :

IMG_2065.JPG

( the number might vary due to: high pressure or high temperature etc variations ).

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Help! My Pipe Is Leaking!

When I read the topic I was going to suggest anti biotics but then realised it was actually plumbing that was leaking.

Leaking is a sure sign of old age, and galaxy NCC1701A is very old indeed, so it is no surprise to see things quickly deteriorating over there. 

Maybe NCC... could take inspiration from the central banks trying to fix the multiple leaks in their dying financial system: plug the leaks with his fingers... 

Edited by Brunolem

connector thread is taped with PTFE tape? Connection is welded or with sleeve inside to close?

SLeeve is placed well and not upside down? Is cap for the sleeve tightened well? Are there any cracks in the connections, they fitted it way to tight?

Stainless and the other metal what is that, also stainless? IF you have 2 different kind of materials together , it can give electro chemical corrosion and in time one of the metals is breaking down. Seen it all. Get your hands dirty and fix it right 555.   

Hi - the last post is good advice.....it sounds like you have a compression joint (screw in and the tighter it is the more compression the better the seal - but dont over tighten and break the threads)...the last post is the key - PTFE tape (about 16 baht a roll - I have even seen it for sale in some 7-11s).  You need a minimum of 6 layers of PTFE tape on the 'male thread'...I would go for 8 layers (8 times around the male thread - if 8 times does not do it then try a few more turns - start from scratch each time with the tape); then you merely screw the male into the female thread...ensure there is no liquid on any of the components before you do this as a liquid cannot be compressed and therefore can get in the way of a good seal.

I would not use thread locking compounds, gasket paste or anything else - the PTFE tape is cheap and last pretty much forever as the piece making the seal is not exposed to air or water and therefore does not oxidise or reduce.

Yah.  I don't think there was ever a good description or photo of the problem connection (?) but, like someone said, if it is the typical faucet type that is supposed to have an "O" ring then it should be a simple matter of making sure it has an undamaged "O" ring and hand tighten.  No need for anything else in that case.

7 minutes ago, faraday said:

Not sure that's true.

I would have to agree.

While on the subject of glues - anyone know what type of adhesives are used when aircraft parts are "stuck" together?