Extension of "retirement visa"

Just want to check.. is the current requirement for extension of the longterm stay ("retirement visa") still >800,000 for TWO more before renewal and THREE months after renewal. Rest of the time >400,000. Please confirm. Any rumour of changes to this? Thanks so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khastan said:

Word of caution. It's 3 months before at Nong Khai.

I visited NK Immigration last week, ahead of my next renewal. They confirmed to me, verbally and in writing, I have the document here, that it is definitely 2 months and then 3 months. I put my 800,000 in 3 months ahead of time just in case.

• Like 2

The three months after bit is intended to make it harder for someone who doesn't have 800K and intends to borrow it from wherever and then return immediately after the extension is granted.

In Thailand, one's status and income are implied by how one dresses and behaves. I wonder if this may be a factor is the differences in requirements between different applicants, even at the same immigration office. Or to quote Moomseeker: "Dress decent. Slobs stick out."

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Depends on where you apply.  Rayong/Maptaphut mentioned nothing about 400,000 or 800,000 after the retirement extension was granted.  What office are you going to?

Did my first 90 day report after my extension to stay in April and they didn't ask to see my bankbook,  Rayong immigration overall is pretty good

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It seems counter indicative that you check a person has enough money to live on, and then block their ability to spend it!

It is dangerous to think things through.

The only logical answer I can give is that it is your 'death money'. Money to last you through the costs of medical care of the last 3 months of your life. You should not live longer than three months after you have dipped into it as you could be put into IDC as your permission to stay will be cancelled. (This answer is tongue in cheek)

7 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Did my first 90 day report after my extension to stay in April and they didn't ask to see my bankbook,

Thanks for the report. I expected this to be patchily enforced. Although, come renewal time 9 months from now, they may check the whole previous 12 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, webcrawler00 said:

Just want to check.. is the current requirement for extension of the longterm stay ("retirement visa") still >800,000 for TWO more before renewal and THREE months after renewal. Rest of the time >400,000. Please confirm. Any rumour of changes to this? Thanks so much.

Completely at the whim of individual immigration offices.  Official Police Order states "2 months", but...... This Is Thailand.

Best to direct your question to an Immigration Officer at your immigration office.  Then you'll know 'their' policy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Best to direct your question to an Immigration Officer at your immigration office.  Then you'll know 'their' policy.  

I agree but that'd really only tell you what the policy is for an individual officer at that moment in time depending on the weather outside and if he had a beef or not  with his wife before going to work that day.

Whimsical only scratches the surface when it comes to universal policy in Thailand and especially  that of immigration.

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

So, no mention of any health insurance requirement then? Was your original visa non-immigrant O-A or something else?

There never was any mention of health insurance for an extension of stay.

stereolab Posted 21 hours ago

I visited NK Immigration last week, ahead of my next renewal. They confirmed to me, verbally and in writing, I have the document here, that it is definitely 2 months and then 3 months. I put my 800,000 in 3 months ahead of time just in case.

A very wise move on your part . At my last retirement extension at Nong Khai on the 15th April I applied one day before the three months and was refused my extension and told to return the next day. I told her this is incorrect the new rules state that it is now only two months. The female IO then consulted at length with colleagues who confirmed that it was three months, and not two. I was also told to bring new bank letters and updated bank book dated the 16th April has the ones I had obtained would not be valid.. I returned the next day and got the extension. The only hiccup was they wanted a picture of me in the bedroom, which I supplied the next day.

• Confused 1

Just now, fishtank said:

There never was any mention of health insurance for an extension of stay.

There was, by Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the MoPH Department of Health Service Support, who was quoted in various publications as the person making the announcement of the new policy. He said that:

The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay,

Now, he was contradicted by an immigration official based in Phuket who said it was for new O-A visas only but as far as I can tell it was and is still not entirely clear.

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

Did my first 90 day report after my extension to stay in April and they didn't ask to see my bankbook,  Rayong immigration overall is pretty good

They will controll it next year in April when you make your next extension.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

FYI; agents are still going strong,

Someone I knew used "Grace", ( we all got there email) and paid 14,000 baht for a 1 year extension last month. He is in Phuket. He had no  money in his bank

Grace obtains the extensions from Roi Et Immigration.

He lives in Phuket …… sure about that, because now according to Immigration records he has a Roi Et address.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:
Still going on. It seems counter indicative that you check a person has enough money to live on, and then block their ability to spend it!

Very little makes sense here, don't you think? I'm certain they don't think things through

I imagine that's how they stayed the only country not colonized in the area and only lost a couple of thousand people during WWII as opposed to millions and also accounts for the strength of the baht.  ???? 

45 minutes ago, khastan said:

The only hiccup was they wanted a picture of me in the bedroom, which I supplied the next day.

Why would they want a photo of you in the bedroom. Sexy man? I got my renewal last month and clarified that 2 months prior required at Jomtien. However, the info sheet given out at reception still says 3 months prior. Hedging their bets? I will stick to 3 months prior. Its been said that out here that the goalposts have wheels. They are also very fond of redrawing the penalty area.

No a 74 year old OAP ! Without the photo in the bedroom would not have got the extension though. Like you correctly say goalposts can be moved depending on mood, time of month who you see etc etc. Until they remove the statement from the requirements stating "other documents can be asked for" it will never change.

Edited by khastan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Still going on. It seems counter indicative that you check a person has enough money to live on, and then block their ability to spend it!

Same rules as the wife then. ????

• Haha 1