Airbnb estimates direct economic impact in Thailand exceeds 33.8 billion baht

webfact

Good luck with that

What do you mean?
Immigration police sent to the Condo and bring the foreigners who answer the door to the police station. They will talk. Check the ownership records and jail the person on the Chanote.

3 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

There are no 20sq mtr rooms at the base. 34 sq mtr is the minimum.

Also be much better if there was no bnb but as already said, it is a juggernaut and not likely to slow down in the immediate future

Incorrect.  There are many 29 sqm rooms at The Base, probably more of this type than any other.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, newnative said:

Incorrect.  There are many 29 sqm rooms at The Base, probably more of this type than any other.

Apologies, my bad. I live on 29th floor in a 34 sq mtr 1 bed.

I thought they were all that size. Cheers ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

What do you mean?
Immigration police sent to the Condo and bring the foreigners who answer the door to the police station. They will talk. Check the ownership records and jail the person on the Chanote.

What if they have a signed contract for 30 days but privately agreed a few days?

How many Immigration police to visit every Airbnb rental in Thailand every day, all year?

What if the owner doesn't live in Thailand?

What about the other websites/agencies who do condo holiday rentals?

What if the people they arrest only speak some obscure dialect that only 2000 people in the world understand?

Back to the bar with you, and work all the above out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Many of the AirBNB up north are run by Chinese on tourist or education visas. 

Now there is a great little earner for the BIB.

No need to wonder why prices are rising out of locals reach.

i have had too many bad experiences with Airbnb and I’m now loyal to one major hotel group. After all the benefits of staying with one group, I have peace of mind and overall a better stay.

• Sad 1

It is not better to have “minimum 15-30 days” for apartments less than 30 days is illegal under “Thai Law”. Foreigners who rent Airbnb in Thailand less than 30 days should be fined 1000 baht per day and the owners jailed for a short period for each offense

Sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorted? Dream on! go to air bnb site, type in Thailand and see how many rooms to rent and then get back to us how exactly the bib will find them all..
Too funny!
  • Like 1

What if they have a signed contract for 30 days but privately agreed a few days?

How many Immigration police to visit every Airbnb rental in Thailand every day, all year?

What if the owner doesn't live in Thailand?

What about the other websites/agencies who do condo holiday rentals?

What if the people they arrest only speak some obscure dialect that only 2000 people in the world understand?

Back to the bar with you, and work all the above out.

You don’t have to send many immigration police.

That is the beauty of internet. Just ruin a few vacations with several days in Thai jail and the word will get out nobody will touch a Thai Airbnb. Jail the owners for the number of days they rented out Condos and also fine them, as already provided in Thai law.

Sex tourism could be curtailed, but not eliminated the same way.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, madmen said:

If you take a look at say Pattaya air bnb vs hotels they are either cheaper or the same price but instead of a 20 sqm room you get a 35 to 45 sqm condo usually with a kitchen , always with a pool and sometimes a gym .  Apples and oranges

Air bnb ,   is the place to be.   i use it on my trips home to UK . 

6 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Just ruin a few vacations with several days in Thai jail and the word will get out nobody will touch a Thai Airbnb

Typical blue collar solution..easy peasy right ????

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Damn !!! those dudes who own AirBnB must be so frigin rich !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep , they cracked the code , brill , no Big Joke ...

i have had fantastic deals with them . 

Edited by elliss

40 minutes ago, madmen said:

Typical blue collar solution..easy peasy right ????

Blue collars build everything. Solutions ARE easy usually here there is a corrupt reason problems are not dealt with. Hotel industry needs to get act together.

Edited by Date Masamune

11 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

And all this would happen if you stay at hotels too.

Airbnb also causes rents to go up, landlords to kick tenants out so they can rent short-term, pushes working class people out of neighbourhoods and doesn't address real housing needs in big cities. 

Nope. The money goes directly to families instead of hotels. The spending occurs mainly around hotels instead of directly into small family business that are not in the normal tourist routes. The good thing about Airbnb is spreading the money out further from the central tourist districts only. As times goes on you will see more developments further out from the normal tourist routes developing other areas as well. 

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

You don’t have to send many immigration police.

That is the beauty of internet. Just ruin a few vacations with several days in Thai jail and the word will get out nobody will touch a Thai Airbnb. Jail the owners for the number of days they rented out Condos and also fine them, as already provided in Thai law.

Sex tourism could be curtailed, but not eliminated the same way.

And out of the 38 24 million tourists they have, probably quite a few use AirBnb.

Last thing they want to do in Thailand is hurt tourism. It's not going the way they dreamt anyways lately.

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There's already tax laws for everything, everyone renting out is supposed to pay taxes no matter if individual or company.

Everyones here are tax dodger but i bet hotels  too so that's an entire different problem they have.

Everyone is dodging taxes, and look what happens: the country does not have excess dollars to do things like start regime change wars over resources. 

Interesting hoe that works, the less money you give the govt the less harm they can do. 

I really can't understand the debate here.

I can pay for a hotel room that's just got a bed and a bathroom. Or I can pay the same price for an AirBnb with a kitchen with fridge and probably a microwave and often a washing machine also - and a bathroom.

People will vote with their feet.

And as to the objection that Thai hosts are avoiding paying tax on their income - that's a hoot! The govt hasn't been able to keep track of their own self-employed citizens for the last 50 years or more - even with today's computerisation they just don't know how to begin to organise it.

And they don't have the faintest idea how to regulate AirBnb either - it's been deemed 'illegal' but then so is drink driving, and they cant even fix something as simple as that.

It must be really driving the Thai admin wild that they don't understand all this farang stuff - they've been copying the appearance of Western education, policing, law, finance, banking etc with no infrastructure or understanding, and now they're in a right mess, right across the board!

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

The problem with hotels is that many people, especially those staying for more than a few days, don’t need or even want to have their room cleaned and linen changed daily, but they would love a kitchen with a proper fridge instead of a useless mini bar.

I’m traveling in Montenegro and Croatia at the moment, and along with most people, I’m staying exclusively in short term apartments, and there’s none of the silliness that you find in Thailand such as large signs warning tourists that they’re trespassing. Locals here have been renting out their apartments short term long before the internet was a gleam in anyone’s eye, let alone Airbnb.

I’ve rented View Talay 5 in Jomtien short term several times. Now that I’ve bought a condo there, although my status has changed from a delinquent and despised short term renter to one of God’s chosen people, my behaviour’s not changed at all. If anything, I was more paranoid about my behaviour as an Airbnb guest, because a single bad review would make it hard for me to use Airbnb in Europe.

Although my block of flats in Australia’s of no interest to short term tenants, I’d prefer those to some of the long term tenants there, such as the guy who revs his motorbike for 20 minutes several times a day, or the one who used to play the same crap radio station at high volume 12 hours a day. The great majority of tenants, whether short or long term, are decent people, but if you have a bad long term one you’re stuck with him.

I think I know what the Thai authorities are dreaming about, when it comes to Airbnb. They want to do, ideally, what China did.

1. China asked AirBnb to incorporate as a separate Chinese entity, called Aibiying.

2. Since 2018, AirBnb is complying with local regulations, sending the Government passport copies and booking dates of guests. (Chinese TM30, that is).

3. Stores data in Chinese servers, not US servers.

They had a buyout offer from Tujia that they said no to, otherwise their fate would have been similar to Uber, who went out of China in exchange for shares in Didi.

Tujia and Xiaozhu control 50% of the home sharing market in China. The latter would like to buy them outside of China also.

They are also experiencing rapid growth on the AirBnb Experiences segment and eventually they complied with most requirements coming from Governments or Councils. They are currently the biggest collector of tourist tax in the US (1.2 billion USD), outside the US they collect taxes in Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland. So far.

They collect VAT in Albania, Belarus, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, the Bahamas, the European Union, and the United Arab Emirates. Japan they collect JCT,  Australia and NZ GST. And VAT in China via Aibiying.

So they made friends with Governments.

I just wanted to put things into perspective, so that we better understand how the future will look like. People concerned about Airbnb neigbours will have to get used to the idea, I guess. They will strike a deal with the Thai government eventually. This article (33.8 billion baht), is simply leverage in negotiations.

Edited by lkv

11 hours ago, madmen said:

Sorted? Dream on! go to air bnb site, type in Thailand and see how many rooms to rent and then get back to us how exactly the bib will find them all..
Too funny!

3800 In Phuket alone