800k baht on deposit in a Thai bank. Questions. (Over 50 Non 0)

Is it ok if I have the money in US$ account? In a Thai bank (Kasikorn)

How long is the money supposed to stay account? (I’ve been told different things.)

Example, if my visa expires on Dec 27 this year, from what date on should I make sure I have over 800K (or US$ equivalent)?

Lastly, how soon after my Visa is renewed can I take the money out? So it goes below 800K? (Again, I’ve been told different things.)

Cheers, Robert

Thanks Dr Jack, Yes, you're right it's an extension.

OK, so two months before *application date* not the *expiry date*. 

So, expiry, Dec 27, 2019, say I start application one month ahead, Nov 27, must have cash in bank before Sept 27. 

After March 27 I can take out 400k.

Must top up to 800K September 27, 2020 start process over. Unless they change the rules ????

I'll check with the Bangkok CW office about the currency issue. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khun Roberto said:

So, expiry, Dec 27, 2019, say I start application one month ahead, Nov 27, must have cash in bank before Sept 27. 

Must top up to 800K September 27, 2020 start process over. Unless they change the rules ????

Cheers!

Correct. Unless they change things yet again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Khun Roberto said:

OK, so two months before *application date* not the

Tell us which office you are applying. The rule is now 2 months prior BUT, some rural offices still seem to be applying the previous requirement (2 months for first time extension, 3 for subsequent). Chiangrai and Udon are examples.

• Like 1

I did a 12 month Non O retirement visa at my ocal Khon Kaen imigratio. 

I needed the 809k in bank for 3 months before application. I need to get another 90 day stamp on 12 July I went to the imigration yesterday to ask when I could take 400k out, they said I could take it out 3 months after my 90 day stamp on 12 July, so the 809k has to be in the bank account untill 12 October. So 800k has to be in your account for 6 months out of the 12 month retirement visa. 

When I go for my new 12 month retirement visa I have to have the 800k in my bank account for 3 months before application so in a sense we have to have 800k in for 9 months in total out of the 12 month visa.

So, 800k in the bank for 3 months before you apply. On your first 90 day stamp you cannot touch your money. On your 2nd 90 day stamp you have to have your bank account updated so they can see you have had the 800k in the bank for the 3 months after your  1st 90 day stamp. And then you cannot take any money out for a further 3 months. Then you can take 400k out only.

After your 3rd 90 days are up you have to put 400k back in your account to have 800k in your back prior to applying for a new 12 month retirement visa.

hope you can understand this. Gave me a headache. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Just deposit 800k into a Thai bank account and leave it there. I've done this for nearly 40 years, including this year, with no problem whatsoever.

I have now jumped onto that way of thinking. Stuck 800k+ into fixed deposit a/c. Just leaving it there to avoid any stuff ups re dropping below the required level.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I did a 12 month Non O retirement visa at my ocal Khon Kaen imigratio. 

I needed the 809k in bank for 3 months before application. I need to get another 90 day stamp on 12 July I went to the imigration yesterday to ask when I could take 400k out, they said I could take it out 3 months after my 90 day stamp on 12 July, so the 809k has to be in the bank account untill 12 October. So 800k has to be in your account for 6 months out of the 12 month retirement visa. 

When I go for my new 12 month retirement visa I have to have the 800k in my bank account for 3 months before application so in a sense we have to have 800k in for 9 months in total out of the 12 month visa.

So, 800k in the bank for 3 months before you apply. On your first 90 day stamp you cannot touch your money. On your 2nd 90 day stamp you have to have your bank account updated so they can see you have had the 800k in the bank for the 3 months after your  1st 90 day stamp. And then you cannot take any money out for a further 3 months. Then you can take 400k out only.

After your 3rd 90 days are up you have to put 400k back in your account to have 800k in your back prior to applying for a new 12 month retirement visa.

hope you can understand this. Gave me a headache. 

It is making all our heads spin

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, shaurene said:

did a 12 month Non O retirement visa at my ocal Khon Kaen imigratio

Actually you did a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement. Your visa has (or will) expired and cannot be renewed or extended, which is why you need a re-entry permit if you travel out of Thailand with the intention of returning..

While some off.ices may still want the money in the bank 3 months before your application, it seems now that most are following the new rule that requires only two months before. 

Youhave to keep the 800,000 in the bank for three months following receiving the new extension. Your 90 day report date may or may not correspond to the 3 month requirement.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 10:56 AM, Thingamabob said:

Just deposit 800k into a Thai bank account and leave it there. I've done this for nearly 40 years, including this year, with no problem whatsoever.

Uhh, then wouldn't it only have been like 200k or 500k for you? I seriously doubt you would have deposited the magic post-10/1998 requirement of 800k into a Thai bank nearly 40 years ago if you didn't have to. I assume you had a [regrettable] break in your stay, then??

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 6:15 PM, jacko45k said:

Tell us which office you are applying. The rule is now 2 months prior BUT, some rural offices still seem to be applying the previous requirement (2 months for first time extension, 3 for subsequent). Chiangrai and Udon are examples.

Hi Jacko45k Chaeng Wathana Bangkok. The info on the National says deposit has to be there for 2 months on the first time but 3 months for subsequent extension. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

On 7/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, Khun Roberto said:

Cheers! 

If you apply 1 month early 27 Nov, you can take out 400k on 27 Feb.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Carolina Reaper said:

Uhh, then wouldn't it only have been like 200k or 500k for you? I seriously doubt you would have deposited the magic post-10/1998 requirement of 800k into a Thai bank nearly 40 years ago if you didn't have to. I assume you had a [regrettable] break in your stay, then??

At ninety years of age one is not expected to remember with exactitude. 

3 hours ago, Khun Roberto said:

Hi Jacko45k Chaeng Wathana Bangkok. The info on the National says deposit has to be there for 2 months on the first time but 3 months for subsequent extension. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

Old information.

You are now required to maintain that balance for 3 further months and 400,000 for 7 months after. Not shown on your link. I believe it is in a separate Police order.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Bangkok Bank.

I will go to BKK CW Immigration office this week and ask if a regular savings account in US$ at a Thai bank will be acceptable. I will report back to this thread for anyone else who might be interested. 

1 minute ago, Khun Roberto said:

I will go to BKK CW Immigration office this week and ask if a regular savings account in US$ at a Thai bank will be acceptable. I will report back to this thread for anyone else who might be interested. 

Well it won't be a regular savings account, but a FCD account.

Here's what I found from the Immigration Office and from the Bank. (We know that what we are told by officials can, erm... be subjective.)

The Desk clerks behind the information counter at Immigration (BKK CW) say the 800k + has to be in the account for two months before the application, as DrJack54 said. (The Immigration Website still says 3 months, but that is apparently inaccurate .)

They also consulted with each other and agreed the currency can be in US$. "Go-dai."

So, to double check I went to the bank. The Kasikorn clerk who deals with the Bank Guarantees also confirms US$ is not a problem. It's kind of irrelevant since the form the bank fills out for immigration says THB anyway. That's better, so there will be no confusion once you get this form to immigration. The exchange rate is calculated the day that they fill out the Bank Guarantee form. So regardless of what the rate has been, as long as your Foreign currency amount exceeds the 800K on that day, and you've had that amount or more for the pasttwo months, they will supply this guarantee form.