Visa for volunteering in Thailand

We are thinking to visit Thailand and do some volunteering with duration of 1-2 weeks using the Workaway website. 

The Workaway website refers: "If you are planning to visit Thailand as a volunteer and not as a tourist you will need the correct visa."

The first question that I have is, with a tourist visa can we do short-term volunteering of 2 weeks? Does anyone have experience on this in Thailand? Or we really need to apply for the Non-Immigrant type O Visa.

I read that for formally volunterring in Thailand it´s required the Non-Immigrant type O Visa, and the aplications needs to be before travelling at Thai Embassy.

Is it possible to change from Tourist Visa to Non-Immigran O Visa being already in Thailand? Or it´s more easy go out or the country and apply at a Thai Embassy?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

You are not supposed to volunteer on a tourist visa. The place you would like to volunteer with can help you with your proper visa, assuming they are in need of help at the time. 

• Like 1

2 weeks??. Hardly worth trouble for organization you wish to aid or the non o you need to obtain. 

You can do "conversion" in Thailand. Seriously is that a feel good trip, take a few selfies.  2 weeks helping out.

12 minutes ago, meand said:

You are not supposed to volunteer on a tourist visa. The place you would like to volunteer with can help you with your proper visa, assuming they are in need of help at the time. 

Good advice. Just to add.. You cannot work on tourist visa. Volunteer is regarded as working.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The place you are volunteering at would be the one to set up your visa. Where and with what agency/company do you plan on volunteering with?

You are correct LomSak27 I will check with the place and also the Embassy.

DrJack54 we don´t know yet the time that will be just saying 2 weeks as example but it could be 1 month or more.

4 minutes ago, RMCM said:

You are correct LomSak27 I will check with the place and also the Embassy.

DrJack54 we don´t know yet the time that will be just saying 2 weeks as example but it could be 1 month or more.

Fair enough but I don't imagine its as flexible as your thinking. I personally have zip knowledge re volunteering. Most visas for example, non o based on marriage cease as soon as your not living together. The replies to your OP from the experts will be useful as this question often comes up. My only experience seeing volunteers first hand was visit to Soi dog salvation in Phuket. That was not an option for couple of weeks it had to be very organized beforehand.

Good luck with your efforts.

I worked as a volunteer in Thailand for a year albeit I had a non o visa I didn't have a work permit (which you need - officially). Also a lot of the shorter term workers only had a tourist visa. However, the organisation I worked for had a gentlemans agreement with immigration that this would be OK. The organisation has been operating like this for over 20 years and never had a problem. 

Check with who are planning on work with and see agreements they have in place. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RMCM said:

Is it possible to change from Tourist Visa to Non-Immigran O Visa being already in Thailand? Or it´s more easy go out or the country and apply at a Thai Embassy?

It is possible to do a change of visa status to a non immigrant visa entry. But in your case I doubt the application would be accepted  since you would not be able to have this from a government department "A letter from the relevant department requesting for Visa or Visa Status Alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)". Also the change of visa status is meant to be for those that will be staying longer and will be applying for a extension of stay.

Best to get the non-o before starting your trip from a embassy or consulate.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good advice. Just to add.. You cannot work on tourist visa. Volunteer is regarded as working.

What I noticed recently was some of the foundations which used to attract volunteers, are now selling 'training courses' which covers them in that issue.. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can't work on any visa, you need a work permit. 

Even volunteer work requires a WP. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

You can't work on any visa, you need a work permit. 

Even volunteer work requires a WP. 

I'm so over getting picked up on detail. Read the op.

The bit that states...can we enter on a TOURIST visa and do volunteering.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Why not look around and find a country that will just let you go there and do what you want in the way of volunteering.

Just sayin'

Your thinking its about volunteering? The OP was initially asking about 2 weeks. What's that about. Then in a reply stated it could be a month. Has not put lot of input into thread since earlier. 

Maybe I'm harsh but sounds like a nice blog opportunity and feel good gig. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

What I noticed recently was some of the foundations which used to attract volunteers, are now selling 'training courses' which covers them in that issue.. 

Would that not require an ed visa? Why could not someone go to say CM and engage in a "training course" for muay Thai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Would that not require an ed visa? Why could not someone go to say CM and engage in a "training course" for muay Thai.

You are allowed to attend short term courses on a tourist visa. Indeed, taking Thai cookery classes while in Thailand is quite popular. The idea of treating volunteers as short term students is quite clever. Obviously, their "training" would involve practical experience. This feels just on the legal side of a grey area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your thinking its about volunteering? The OP was initially asking about 2 weeks. What's that about. Then in a reply stated it could be a month. Has not put lot of input into thread since earlier. 

Maybe I'm harsh but sounds like a nice blog opportunity and feel good gig. 

Or cheap holiday with free food and lodgings.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, DrJack54 said:

You dont 'need' an ED visa to do a course, however you can sometimes get an ED visa, as an additional benefit, from doing some courses. 

You do not need a work permit to receive education / training (you do to be an intern unpaid or an apprentice) so theres a bit more wiggle room for the places which do this. 

• Like 1