Ja New offered police protection – if he gives up activism

webfact

29 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Yes I did, obviously you didn't though. 

Excellent.Yes plainly obvious I didn't read the article,my apologies.Did you understand what the article said?Perhaps you could help me out,I'm not sure what you are trying to say in this quote.

"How can the Police offer him protection if he refuses to put himself in potentially dangerous situations?"

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Spelling

5 minutes ago, atyclb said:

this guy is someone that truly meets the criteria of political persecution and would likely be accepted as a refugee in many countries including america.

Nuh! Way to tricky. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Autocorrect correction.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, neeray said:

Unanimous opinions by the TVF brigade. Unfortunately, our opinions mean squat.

Yes our opinions in themselves mean little but they reflect an obvious truth. As sure as night follows day this truth will one day destroy the cancer that eats away at the Thai people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue Water Sailor said:

After 10 years of Thailand being my home base I've decided to move to Vietnam 

Good luck to you, and I mean it. Two of my mates are there. I've heard good things about that place. It seems if one intends to stay in Southeast Asia, Vietnam is a viable alternative to Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yokat said:

"We'll offer protection", that's one of the most cliché mafioso line. Is it an offer he can't refuse ?

You beat me to it - just watched The Godfather a couple of days ago, this generous offer is right out of the Sicilian Mafia playbook. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enoon said:

He is not being offered protection.

He is being threatened with more violence unless he gives up activism.

Reptiles.

Yes, protection by some that most likely are linked to the assault source is not considered as real protection ...

• Like 1

So basically give up your human rights and do not complain because you have no human rights and are not allowed to complain, and if you continue to do what is right, excercise your human rights by complaining, you will not be given protection, which is the right thing to do, but will not happen because you are not allowed freedom of speech or your human rights. Wonderful!!!

And they call this place Paradise...

Edited by Sonhia
addition
  • Like 2

What a ridiculous but dangerous, lot they are. The police should be protecting as part of their job and bringing the perpetrators to justice which is also part of their job.

And to think that last week I had to reply to a post (snoop1130) this way;

'...Expats cannot be in the front line because if they were you and all other expats would pay for that...'

If this is what happens to a Thai activist imagine what would happen to a foreigner? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neeray said:

Unanimous opinions by the TVF brigade. Unfortunately, our opinions mean squat.

That is correct, the best approach is to ensure you pass this on to everyone who has any interest in Thailand including the media if you have any contact in that area. 

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

What a ridiculous but dangerous, lot they are. The police should be protecting as part of their job and bringing the perpetrators to justice which is also part of their job.

And to think that last week I had to reply to a post (snoop1130) this way;

'...Expats cannot be in the front line because if they were you and all other expats would pay for that...'

If this is what happens to a Thai activist imagine what would happen to a foreigner? 

According to news source, it was alleged that Prawit asked Ja New to stop his activism activities if he want protection. Meanwhile the RTP visited 10 activists and told them to stop their activities if they want protection. This almost an admission that they staged the attack on Ja New and now threatening other activists with warning of impending attacks.  Thailand government ia using mafia tactics to stop dissent if this is true. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

He is not being offered protection.

He is being threatened with more violence unless he gives up activism.

Reptiles.

This should be pinned to the top. 100% spot on.

Calling them reptiles is being kind.

It was his mother, who went to the local police station to ask for protection. Ja New is considering signing an agreement. 

Another activist, assaulted 7 times, signed an agreement a month ago, but he doesn’t stop coming to public protests or writing online. 

Anurak, beaten in april, refused to sign with witness protection office, but local cops are helping him in exchange for toning down

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/07/08/fears-of-future-assaults-force-activists-to-seek-police-protection/?fbclid=IwAR2Rd6yRV96yJytPrCb504QJ5CtTCrrbeSV88Vsgnj214SyMIYdiJUfUuh4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, londonthai said:

It was his mother, who went to the local police station to ask for protection. Ja New is considering signing an agreement. 

Another activist, assaulted 7 times, signed an agreement a month ago, but he doesn’t stop coming to public protests or writing online. 

Anurak, beaten in april, refused to sign with witness protection office, but local cops are helping him in exchange for toning down

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/07/08/fears-of-future-assaults-force-activists-to-seek-police-protection/?fbclid=IwAR2Rd6yRV96yJytPrCb504QJ5CtTCrrbeSV88Vsgnj214SyMIYdiJUfUuh4

"Speaking to reporters today, deputy junta chairman Prawit Wongsuwan said it’s up to the police to set the conditions for its protection programs." This is a quote from the article in the link.From the same site there is a new story saying the police have just purchased a private jet for Prawit(less).Seems like a conflict of interests to me!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Additional text

On 7/8/2019 at 6:52 AM, holy cow cm said:

Ah, the trueness comes out that activists are really not safe here.

In all reality, almost every one who commits a crime and runs on motorcycles can be traced through cc tv and motorcycle noise or looks recognition very very fast. I call this is a tremendous travesty of foul!

I understand that under a Thai law an individual can bring a criminal prosecution if the police fail to act not that it should be necessary of course.

I don’t know what means, resources or support this guy has but you hear from time to time of certain high profile lawyers assisting individuals by petitioning the head of police when no action has been taken

Also there are ways to obtain the CCTV footage to which you refer might at least set the cat a amongst the pigeons.

15 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I understand that under a Thai law an individual can bring a criminal prosecution if the police fail to act not that it should be necessary of course.

I don’t know what means, resources or support this guy has but you hear from time to time of certain high profile lawyers assisting individuals by petitioning the head of police when no action has been taken

Also there are ways to obtain the CCTV footage to which you refer might at least set the cat a amongst the pigeons.

But it could be at this time the cc tv footage has been wiped clean. It feels like a cover up to protect these wanna be soldier officers and their wanna be commander..

• Like 1