Ja New offered police protection – if he gives up activism

webfact

How can the Police offer him protection if he refuses to put himself in potentially dangerous situations? How can their protection be seen/interpreted as being aligned with his causes? What guarantees would they have that he would not use the police protection to further his own aims.

Yes he has the right to freedom of speech and freedom of political will but to offer protection to someone without them being willing to make common sense decisions on their own safety would be madness. Why would a police force (in any country) put its officer at potential risk if the protected party does not agree to reduce his/her risk profile?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Sad, citizens are not allowed to disagree with their government...those that do will have to live in fear...this is not what the world expects from a democratic state...????

Thailand is not a democrstic state. From my perspective "democracy" is an imaginary ideal. Can anybody give us an example of a true democracy in action? Selfishness (greed and lust for money and power) is the prime motivation of politicians all over the world. 

Selflessness is the realm of those people who are apolitical.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

How can the Police offer him protection if he refuses to put himself in potentially dangerous situations? How can their protection be seen/interpreted as being aligned with his causes? What guarantees would they have that he would not use the police protection to further his own aims.

Yes he has the right to freedom of speech and freedom of political will but to offer protection to someone without them being willing to make common sense decisions on their own safety would be madness. Why would a police force (in any country) put its officer at potential risk if the protected party does not agree to reduce his/her risk profile?

Your argument might carry some weight were it not for the little matter that those who have administered the beating are from amongst the ranks of that police force

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a977 said:

What right has the police to tell a citizen that he has to give up his beliefs to receive police protection. If the police did their job in the first place this would not have happened, to the police and the insipid person in charge time to forget about the bribes and brown envelopes and get on with what you were paid to do, ENFORCE THE LAW or is that too hard

I believe the police write their own rights. And I was aware of them getting protection money before but have never heard of them admitting to the "protection racket" before. This would be the first case that I have seen reported in the news.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Firstly I think you might have meant to say "if he refuses to NOT put himself in potentially dangerous situations"?

He is putting himself in danger by speaking his mind,just as you are doing now.By speaking your mind you are putting yourself at risk.Why would anybody listen to somebody that does that?

"What guarantees would they have that he would not use the police protection to further his own aims".Are you for real?Trolling maybe?How the "" could he possibly achieve that?Can you please go back and read carefully just what you wrote and make the necessary amendments.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I don't think you understand the situation. The police protection means the police will stop beating on him. 

24 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Did you even read the article?The police said he does NOT have the right to "freedom of speech and freedom of political will".There has been a ban on freedom of speech and political will for the past five years.That's the big problem with all this.Please have a look around and take note of what is going on.It's really not that difficult.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

where he was due to study for a master’s degree.

One one hand you have someone who cares about something and is educated, while on the other hand you have uneducated thugs, ah....finding the right balance is somewhat trying, perhaps he should seriously think about it, i.e. ask himself if it's all worth it, after all, if he is taken out, no one will miss a heart beat as much as he knows his course is for the good, there are darker forces lurking, not a way I would want to be living, i.e. looking over my shoulder while the cops don't give a toss and are probably in on keeping people such as him quiet for the bigger boys up the chain.

Image result for picture of someone shushing

• Like 1