Visa Question

Hi! Hopefully someone can help me and I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else, I’m only a new member.

Im 31 years old and Australian. I have entered Thailand twice this year via air and once (soon to be twice) via land crossing in Cambodia. In September I am leaving the country for two weeks and will return via air. My question is, after I return I realize that I cannot do anymore land crossings this calendar year, and don’t really want to go to Laos via mini van... am I able to fly to Malaysia (or Indonesia) for 1-2 nights and then return via air? Would I have any problems at immigration?

thanking you in advance 

Toeretically you can do like you say, because flying do not have any legal limit of entries. Depending on what kind of visa you are using, or if you uswe visa exemt entry, any given IO can choose to refuse or allow entry based on your travel history.

OP you need give more detail. You state twice via air and soon twice via border. Visa exempt? Did you get extensions for any entries. Its an OP lacking real detail.  Did you use any tourist visas. How long spent out of Thailand between entries. 

Its the detail that will govern good advice

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP you need give more detail. You state twice via air and soon twice via border. Visa exempt? Did you get extensions for any entries. Its an OP lacking real detail.  Did you use any tourist visas. How long spent out of Thailand between entries. 

Its the detail that will govern good advice

Apologies for the lack of detail.

Yes, I have entered under visa exemption through my Australian passport. I originally came to Thailand for 1 month from February to March. I then left and returned on April. I extended in May for 30 days at Immigration and then in June I went on a border run to Cambodia. I have just extended for 30 days again at immigration. I will be going to Cambodia again at the end of this month before extending again at the end of August. September 4th I will be flying overseas for 10 days before returning. I was going to return simply on Visa exemption though it would be possible to apply for a visa whilst I was overseas 

41 minutes ago, ShaeD said:

Yes, I have entered under visa exemption through my Australian passport. I originally came to Thailand for 1 month from February to March. I then left and returned on April. I extended in May for 30 days at Immigration and then in June I went on a border run to Cambodia. I have just extended for 30 days again at immigration. I will be going to Cambodia again at the end of this month before extending again at the end of August. September 4th I will be flying overseas for 10 days before returning. I was going to return simply on Visa exemption though it would be possible to apply for a visa whilst I was overseas 

With that history it´s really a good advice to apply for a single entry tourist visa before departure. Have booked hotel the first nights and 20k baht in cash for show at entry as well as a return ticket. After that you might still be a person that gets questioned or refused entry, but you will have a much better chance.

3 hours ago, ShaeD said:

So your next border run will be your 2nd for this calendar yr (max allowed 2)

The last bit is a worry. "I will be flying overseas for 10 days..." How do you plan to enter. I think time for a tourist visa and personally think you may have trouble at airports entering. I would suggest even with visa return via border after flying to neighbouring country. Laos- Vientiane, one example.

Is this very common, people flying in & out, making border runs & doing 30-day extensions continually in order to live here full-time? Are there lots of people doing this, percentage-wise? Seems to me, it would be quite expensive for visas, extensions, flights, hotels, border runs, etc. and a lot of anxiety associated with living like this. Always wanted to ask to get an idea if lots of people are doing this or is it more of a short-term thing. Kindly...

Edited by JohnnyBD

1. Make sure your border bounce to Cambodia for your second visa exempt entry by land  is not being done at Poipet.
  2. You are really pushing your luck if you try for your fourth visa exempt entry (including some extensions) within a relatively short period of time, entering by air. For your return in September, plan to fly to Vientiane instead for a visa, returning by land at Nong Khai, flying back from Udon Thani.

Thankyou all for the advice. I will definitely apply for a visa whilst overseas for 10 days, as well as have a return flight booked and access to sufficient funds. I will take the idea to fly to Laos and cross from there and see if it is doable. For those interested, I’m in Thailand for Muay Thai and was hoping to stay for the whole year 

10 minutes ago, ShaeD said:

Thankyou all for the advice. I will definitely apply for a visa whilst overseas for 10 days, as well as have a return flight booked and access to sufficient funds. I will take the idea to fly to Laos and cross from there and see if it is doable. For those interested, I’m in Thailand for Muay Thai and was hoping to stay for the whole year 

You could do muay Thai course and obtain ed visa. When you mention going overseas for 10 days. Where to. Ask because it helps to advise where to land for return. Both myself and BritTim suggested Vientiane. However really depends on where your travelling to for that 10 day break and to lesser extent where living in los.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You could do muay Thai course and obtain ed visa. When you mention going overseas for 10 days. Where to. Ask because it helps to advise where to land for return. Both myself and BritTim suggested Vientiane. However really depends on where your travelling to for that 10 day break.

I have to go to Israel for a wedding, they don’t give an arrival stamp there either, I’m not sure if that will affect things 

23 minutes ago, ShaeD said:

I have to go to Israel for a wedding, they don’t give an arrival stamp there either, I’m not sure if that will affect things 

The question about where your going is more about where to fly back to in order to enter Thailand. Possibly Tel Aviv to KL and from there train and enter by border or fly KL to Vientiane (cheap flights aa).

I'm getting the impression you already have return tick flying back into bkk airports. Bad plan IMHO. Is setv straight forward to obtain in Israel? Have never read about it. You could obtain one KL or Vientiane but keep in mind appointment required at vientiane

Edited by DrJack54

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The question about where your going is more about where to fly back to in order to enter Thailand. Possibly Tel Aviv to KL and from there train and enter by border or fly KL to Vientiane (cheap flights aa).

I'm getting the impression you already have return tick flying back into bkk airports. Bad plan IMHO. Is setv straight forward to obtain in Israel? Have never read about it. You could obtain one KL or Vientiane but keep in mind appointment required at vientiane

I haven’t actually booked my ticket to Israel yet so I can fly into somewhere else if needs be. I have emailed the Thai embassy in Tel Aviv in regards to applying for a setv so hopefully they’ll reply soon

19 minutes ago, ShaeD said:

I haven’t actually booked my ticket to Israel yet so I can fly into somewhere else if needs be. I have emailed the Thai embassy in Tel Aviv in regards to applying for a setv so hopefully they’ll reply soon

I'm thinking your not in simple situation. I'm not at all familiar with flights in/out of Israel. I had quick look and return direct bkk/TA yeah about 26kbaht.

Problem is that's flying into bkk. I don't see nice options for other places like to KL for example.

If you fly into bkk with a visa 2 things could happen..

Stamped in no problem or denied entry and that means world of pain if your forced to return to Tel Aviv.

Would make for very nervous flight into Thailand. Some members might say you have no problems. Some (me) would not do it. 

Skip wedding?

Good luck whatever your call

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm thinking your not in simple situation. I'm not at all familiar with flights in/out of Israel. I had quick look and return direct bkk/TA yeah about 26kbaht.

Problem is that's flying into bkk. I don't see nice options for other places like to KL for example.

If you fly into bkk with a visa 2 things could happen..

Stamped in no problem or denied entry and that means world of pain if your forced to return to Tel Aviv.

Would make for very nervous flight into Thailand. Some members might say you have no problems. Some (me) would not do it. 

Skip wedding?

Good luck whatever your call

I was going to fly into Bkk with a return ticket to Australia already booked if you think that might make things better 

2 minutes ago, ShaeD said:

I was going to fly into Bkk with a return ticket to Australia already booked if you think that might make things better 

Here is the thing. If you fly into bkk from Tel Aviv and are refused entry your ticket to AU or money in pocket or accom booking might not mean much. The ticket out of los to Australia is helpful thats if your given a chance to explain your plans. Some reports of folk being denied entry and io basically not wanting to view anything eg cash etc and not listening to anything you have to say. Clearly you have a desire to stay in los and that's your business but staying for an extended time with small breaks becomes difficult. The people who do it successfully tend to exhaust the flight into los option early on then eventually moving to two VE at borders then TV at various good borders. 

In my thinking the wedding trip is the problem.

Sounds like your ticket to au is already booked and departing from bkk. Think I've run out of advice.

As I stated I did look at flights out of tel Aviv. I couldn't find much except for bkk.

I don't know if this would work but perhaps obtain a setv prior to wedding from somewhere like Vientiane enter los and when flying to tel Aviv obtain reentry permit at bkk airport. Don't know if on your return to bkk at the airport it would be looked at differently. 

One of the experts could advise better. You could yell out to ubonjoe or quote BritTim (gives good advice) he posted in this thread above.