Guatemala postpones Trump summit, says will not sign 'safe third country' deal

webfact

Guatemala postpones Trump summit, says will not sign 'safe third country' deal

2019-07-14T230503Z_1_LYNXNPEF6D0OK_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-GUATEMALA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Guatemala's President Jimmy Morales gestures during a meeting of the Central American Integration System (SICA), in Guatemala City, Guatemala June 5, 2019. REUTERS/Luis Echeverria/File Photo

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Guatemala said on Sunday it would postpone President Jimmy Morales' visit to Washington to discuss Guatemala's potential designation as a 'safe third country' for asylum seekers, stressing it had no plans to sign such an agreement.

In a statement, Guatemala said the planned meeting between Morales and U.S. President Donald Trump this week had been postponed until the Guatemalan Constitutional Court had ruled on legal challenges. Last week, five former senior officials appealed to the court to block any agreement with the United States that would declare Guatemala a 'safe third country.'

Under such a deal, Guatemala would be obliged to offer asylum to migrants who entered its territory en route to the United States. Migrants from Honduras and El Salvador heading to the U.S.-Mexican border overland usually cross into Mexico via Guatemala.

Over the past week, opposition has mounted to such a designation for Guatemala, which would reshape migration in the region.

"The government of the republic reiterates that at no point it considers signing an agreement to convert Guatemala into a safe third country," the Guatemalan government said:

A senior U.S. official said: "The meeting is being rescheduled."

"The United States will continue to work with the Government of Guatemala on concrete and immediate steps that can be taken to address the ongoing migration crisis," the U.S. official added.

(Reporting by Sofia Menchu and Howard Schneider; Writing by Julia Love and Mike Stone; Editing by Rosalba O'Brien and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-15
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, daoyai said:

So they are saying they are not a safe country? Pretty sad admission,  "international law" says legitimate refugees should find asylum in the NEAREST safe haven.  Central America needs to solve it's own problems. The days of U.S. banana companies controlling local politics and economies are long past. Their corruption and cultural conditions are their own doing. If not Guatemala then why not Costa Rica, Belize or Panama?

Just make a list of all the South and Central American nations the US has a on time or another fermented revolution and or civil war.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, daoyai said:

So they are saying they are not a safe country? Pretty sad admission,  "international law" says legitimate refugees should find asylum in the NEAREST safe haven.  Central America needs to solve it's own problems. The days of U.S. banana companies controlling local politics and economies are long past. Their corruption and cultural conditions are their own doing. If not Guatemala then why not Costa Rica, Belize or Panama?

Sorry but methinks you are not current on the study of Central America. What US controlled companies are currently operating in Central America? Who profits? Same ole, same ole. Follow the money and see the support for the rule by the wealthy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Trump will predictably corner them of course with the "carrot & stick" offer. 

So many countries benefit from the generosity of the States, and now Trump is just using this tool to remind countries of their obligations.

Similar to the UN, where USA contributes the most, whilst others expecting to profit from the protection without putting into the pot. Trump of course is readdressing the balance with the "carrot and stick" method. If you don't contribute you can kiss goodbye the protection.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

In the past, I've worked with refugees and displaced people in a large number of countries.   The refugee situation does not improve until conditions in the home country improve.   This usually starts with economic improvements and those usually (but not always) lead to other improvements for safety and security in the home country.   Once that happens, the exodus of people slows immensely.

Although it is commendable to try and provide a safe country for those fleeing, it is really simply geographically moving the problem from one country to another.   Targeting the countries from which they flee, providing aid and assistance to stop the exodus is a better bet.  

21 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Just make a list of all the South and Central American nations the US has a on time or another fermented revolution and or civil war.

Simple.  Just make a list of all the South and Central American nations.

• Like 1

Who needs Guatamala to play ball?

"Washington, DC - Vowing to sue, immigrant rights groups have called a new Trump administration rule that would prevent Central Americans from claiming political asylum in the United States a flagrant attempt to dismantle the country's asylum system.

According to the new rule, announced on Monday and slated to go into effect on Tuesday, asylum seekers who pass through other countries on their way to the US will no longer be eligible for asylum. The rule applies not only to adult asylum seekers, but unaccompanied minors as well."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/07/rights-groups-vow-challenge-trump-asylum-rule-190715194141382.html

It's about bloody time someone took steps to dismantle the asylum system as it is routinely abused and perverted by economic migrants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:05 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

I don't keep up with usa history, but I am pretty sure in all... As in many (most?) places in the world

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JulesMad said:

I don't keep up with usa history, but I am pretty sure in all... As in many (most?) places in the world

Not sure if it's really all but it would definitely be simpler to say the ones that the USA hasn't had a hand (if any) in Latin America. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:09 AM, Andrew65 said:

They can't look after their own people (that's why they emigrate), why would they want the poverty of other countries? If they sign this they become obliged to look after migrants. 

I don't think you quite have much of a grasp of the reality of Latin America if you think there is any chance in hell anybody is going to be migrating to Guatemala. Over 1% of Guatemala's own population left for America this past year alone. 

Edited by usviphotography
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, usviphotography said:

I don't think you quite have much of a grasp of the reality of Latin America if you think there is any chance in hell anybody is going to be migrating to Guatemala. Over 1% of Guatemala's own population left for America this past year alone. 

Because it's on the route to America. Just look at a map.

• Confused 1

Guatemala is the 3rd poorest of the Latin American countries, and had a 35 year civil war which just ended 20 years ago.  It also lies on a Major fault zone, so has severe Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions - the capital has been relocated twice due to volcanic activity. Then throw in a few hurricanes. I'm sure migrants want to move there ........

20 hours ago, usviphotography said:

I not saying that they would, in fact Guatemala's probably as poor as where they come from.

I'm sort of familiar with this stuff because of the situation in Europe. I get the impression that if Guatemala's deemed to be a "safe" country because of this treaty, then Guatemala gets stuck with lots more poor people that it can't take care of (as well as it's own).

There are lots of similar people near Calais in France. The difference being that the 1200 km of border walls (fences), like Trump's, are in south eastern Europe.

16 hours ago, rickudon said:

Guatemala is the 3rd poorest of the Latin American countries, and had a 35 year civil war which just ended 20 years ago.  It also lies on a Major fault zone, so has severe Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions - the capital has been relocated twice due to volcanic activity. Then throw in a few hurricanes. I'm sure migrants want to move there ........

OTOH they have no problems wanting to live in California. Funny that.

• Thanks 1