Trump tells Democratic congresswomen to 'go back' to 'fix' countries they came from

webfact

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

She incited a terrorist to write a manifesto? Because this terrorist used that phrase, she incited him? But if it's true, that manifesto has put all right thinking Americans in grave danger. Everybody take shelter! A terrorist manifesto is headed your way.

Yes, a left-wing terrorist used AOC's specific phrase. Fact. If it was the other way around you guys would freak out & blame the entire right, which you do, all the time. 

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

On the other hand:

Anti-Trump forces threaten lawmakers' lives in name of #Resistance

Most targets were Republican; red-state Democratic senator also caught in crosshairs

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/24/republicans-congress-face-death-threats-anti-trump/

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Thainesss said:

Just to be clear, you guys are justifying wholly unpopular AOC's rhetoric because of Trumps rhetoric? 

Not sure how that computes considering the lefty doctrine is one of tolerance and moral superiority. Guess all those morals didn't really exist in the first place. 

I'm not "justifying" anything. I'm pointing out that you apply a different standard when it comes to Trump. And as you stressed her being a CONGRESSWOMAN, one would assume that the higher the post, of the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, would imply greater responsibility. For you, and many other Trump supporters, it would seem that the opposite holds - Trump is "allowed" pretty much anything by virtue of being the president.

Spare me your nonsense about morals, left doctrine, tolerance and whatnot.

Here's another post I made on a parallel topic, which relates to this (comment is about profanity used by one "squad" member when talking about Trump):

It isn't, and it ought to be condemned.

But taking the political discourse to the gutter, making it infantile, abusive, fact light and generally, low - this is to a large extent something the current president revels in. He sets the tone, he dictates the style. Opposition and supporters following suit is regrettable. Pretty much the same can be seen on this forum and on these discussions. Wasn't all that great to begin with, but the last 2-3 years are the worst I recall.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1113839-mueller says trump was-not-exonerated-but trump declares-victory/page/20/?tab=comments#comment-14401687

Regarding the use of the term concentration camps, AOC did not "coin" the term.

The internment of Japanese Americans in the United States during World War II was the forced relocation and incarceration in concentration camps in the western interior of the country of between 110,000 and 120,000[5] people of Japanese ancestry, most of whom lived on the Pacific Coast. 62% of the internees were United States citizens.[6][7] These actions were ordered by President Franklin D. Roosevelt shortly after Imperial Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

17 hours ago, bristolboy said:

No you don't have to provide links for every assertion of fact. Just those you're challenged on. Honorable people understand that obligation.

There will always be someone that will challenge n dissertation of fact, here and in life!  Link it up!!!

It’s kinda funny Trump haters routinely call Trump stupid. Ilan Omar in 2012 told someone to go back to where they came from. Do TDS-ers think Trump didn’t know what she said?  Of course he did. 

He he used almost the same words as Omar. But, Trump is the racist right?  The hypocrisy of the left knows no bounds. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-rashida-tlaib-deport-tweets-1451022%3famp=1

24 minutes ago, Guitarzan said:

It’s kinda funny Trump haters routinely call Trump stupid. Ilan Omar in 2012 told someone to go back to where they came from. Do TDS-ers think Trump didn’t know what she said?  Of course he did. 

He he used almost the same words as Omar. But, Trump is the racist right?  The hypocrisy of the left knows no bounds. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/ilhan-omar-rashida-tlaib-deport-tweets-1451022%3famp=1

Really?   Nice try.   Here's how that went down (from your link):

Omar, who was born in Somalia, tweeted, "we are citizens & can't be deported, why don't we deport you to where ever you came from," on October 5, 2012, in a thread about a Maine mayor saying a growing Somali population should leave their culture at the door.

So, pretty far from being hypocritical to respond to someone suggesting she be deported that they be deported.    

55 minutes ago, Credo said:

Really?   Nice try.   Here's how that went down (from your link):

Omar, who was born in Somalia, tweeted, "we are citizens & can't be deported, why don't we deport you to where ever you came from," on October 5, 2012, in a thread about a Maine mayor saying a growing Somali population should leave their culture at the door.

So, pretty far from being hypocritical to respond to someone suggesting she be deported that they be deported.    

Well, lets see here ... did the mayor tell Omar she should go back to the country she came from, did he suggest deportation? Who suggested deportation?  Clearly it was Omar ... right?  Trump used her own words. LOL!

On 7/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, mogandave said:

She wasn’t actually wrong.

Okay

Exactly so sir, as long as I've been alive Americans as well as the Japanese use the word Internment camp. A Nazi "concentration camp" was a death and torture camp.  

6 hours ago, Guitarzan said:

Well, lets see here ... did the mayor tell Omar she should go back to the country she came from, did he suggest deportation? Who suggested deportation?  Clearly it was Omar ... right?  Trump used her own words. LOL!

Since you don't have a clue as to the content of the tweet that Omar was replying to, your point is entirely invalid:

"It is not clear who the Twitter user Omar was replying directly to is because the account is private and does not reveal anything except a name. Omar made her comment after several other replies expressing her opinion on whether immigrants should preserve their culture or embrace the ways of their new country."

11 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Since you don't have a clue as to the content of the tweet that Omar was replying to, your point is entirely invalid:

"It is not clear who the Twitter user Omar was replying directly to is because the account is private and does not reveal anything except a name. Omar made her comment after several other replies expressing her opinion on whether immigrants should preserve their culture or embrace the ways of their new country."

To this person, you can say "go back" as long as it might be a retaliatory comment and not be a glaring hypocrite. 

Exactly so sir, as long as I've been alive Americans as well as the Japanese use the word Internment camp. A Nazi "concentration camp" was a death and torture camp.  
No. The camps for Japanese civilians including US citizens in the US have been referred to as concentration camps. FACT.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. The camps for Japanese civilians including US citizens in the US have been referred to as concentration camps. FACT.

I kinda doubt that, for most people, these are the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about "concentration camps". I have no doubt that picking this term was intentional - specifically because of the association.

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

I kinda doubt that, for most people, these are the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about "concentration camps". I have no doubt that picking this term was intentional - specifically because of the association.

There is nothing to doubt. The term has been used for those camps for Japanese people. You're confusing two issues. I'm talking about the history which we can't change. You're talking about whether AOC was politic in using that word for the current border camps. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is nothing to doubt. The term has been used for those camps for Japanese people. You're confusing two issues. I'm talking about the history which we can't change. You're talking about whether AOC was politic in using that word for the current border camps. 

I don't think I'm confusing anything. These aren't separate issues, in this context.

I don't think I'm confusing anything. These aren't separate issues, in this context.

So to be clear, we’re insisting when she said concentration camps, she didn’t really mean NAZI concentration camps, while at the same time she’s calling the guards nazis, how funny is that?

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So to be clear, we’re insisting when she said concentration camps, she didn’t really mean NAZI concentration camps, while at the same time she’s calling the guards nazis, how funny is that?

I wouldn't know which "we're" you're referring to. 

"Use of the word "concentration" came from the idea of confining people in one place because they belong to a group that is considered undesirable in some way. The term itself originated in 1897 when the "reconcentration camps" were set up in Cuba by General Valeriano Weyler. In the past, the U.S. government had used concentration camps against Native Americans and the British had also used them during the Second Boer War. "  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camps

Since the the detention facilities are being used to lock up people considered undesirable, describing them as concentration camps is consistent the meaning of the term.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:14 PM, bristolboy said:

Thanks for making my point 

"Use of the word "concentration" came from the idea of confining people in one place because they belong to a group that is considered undesirable in some way. The term itself originated in 1897 when the "reconcentration camps" were set up in Cuba by General Valeriano Weyler. In the past, the U.S. government had used concentration camps against Native Americans and the British had also used them during the Second Boer War. "  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camps

Since the the detention facilities are being used to lock up people considered undesirable, describing them as concentration camps is consistent the meaning of the term.

Why would you consider them undesirables? I think for the most part the are asylum seekers, in which case I thin refugee camp would be more appropriate than concentration camp.

In any event, they’ll all come down with whatever parts of wall are there after the next election when crossing the border is decriminalized and ICE is abolished.

Woo hoo!

17 hours ago, heybruce said:

You can spin this however you like. She chose "concentration camps" simply because of the traction she knew it would generate. And that traction got little to do with all them alternative usages of the term. The link provided above sort of makes the point.

I think there are times when one doesn't have to cheer the home-team. That's one of them.

I agree she shouldn't have used that term. In talking about the history about the different ways the camps for Japanese people have been described which included concentration camps in the past, I wasn't suggesting that gives AOC a pass for using it in this case in these times.

19 hours ago, Morch said:
20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

am from the usa and grew up there and was taught in school these facilities were known as "internment camps/centers"

i would never associate them with or refer to them as concentration camps. per my education concentration camps were ww2 nazi built places to use slave labor and to commit organized genocide as well as barbaric medical research.

perhaps the current generation of educators changed what is taught.

i would think it a gross lack of respect to the millions that died in real nazi concentration camps.

I agree she shouldn't have used that term. In talking about the history about the different ways the camps for Japanese people have been described which included concentration camps in the past, I wasn't suggesting that gives AOC a pass for using it in this case in these times.

I’m sorry but how is making out like she meant something other than what she did or that she was technically right not giving her a pass?

All this talk of nazis and concentration camps trivializes the Holocaust.

If Trump is hitler and the detention centers are concentration camps, than the how bad could the Holocaust have been?

am from the usa and grew up there and was taught in school these facilities were known as "internment camps/centers"

i would never associate them with or refer to them as concentration camps. per my education concentration camps were ww2 nazi built places to use slave labor and to commit organized genocide as well as barbaric medical research.

perhaps the current generation of educators changed what is taught.

i would think it a gross lack of respect to the millions that died in real nazi concentration camps.

Perhaps?

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I’m sorry but how is making out like she meant something other than what she did or that she was technically right not giving her a pass?

All this talk of nazis and concentration camps trivializes the Holocaust.

If Trump is hitler and the detention centers are concentration camps, than the how bad could the Holocaust have been?

Huh? Why are you asking me?!?

I never said I approved of her using the term, so don't bother posting such baits to me again.

I did say that the term has been used in another instance in U.S. history. If you're looking at the strict technical definition of the term, it doesn't necessarily need to be about industrialized death camps. The Japanese situation did target ALL Japanese people in the U.S. , men, women. children, citizens and non-citizens and CONCENTRATED them in camps. 

The migrant situation is different than that. The people in there (for the most part) are not U.S. citizens and are being accused of crimes (fairly or not). 

Huh? Why are you asking me?!?
I never said I approved of her using the term, so don't bother posting such baits to me again.
I did say that the term has been used in another instance in U.S. history. If you're looking at the strict technical definition of the term, it doesn't necessarily need to be about industrialized death camps. The Japanese situation did target ALL Japanese people in the U.S. , men, women. children, citizens and non-citizens and CONCENTRATED them in camps. 
The migrant situation is different than that. The people in there (for the most part) are not U.S. citizens and are being accused of crimes (fairly or not). 

As I understand it they are asylum seekers that came into the country illegally. They are not being accused of a crime, their applications are being processed.

Archived