Open mouth food chewing: what's the deal?

It amazes me how the food stays in. I mean if I had a chicken leg in my hand and opened it, it would fall on the table. 

These open mouthers are very clever people!

Edited by ianezy0
  • Like 2

I came to the conclusion a long time ago, the chewing with the mouth open, was to suck in as much air as possible while eating food laced with chili. It helps to cool the tongue, you know.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, soistalker said:

No, I am not. Who I am is someone who was raised by parents who required proper table manners. This meant not chewing with our mouths open, not making sounds whilst eating or drinking, not ripping food apart with hands like a caveman, and certainly no noises from burping or flatulence. These necessities I taught to my children. If your parents did not instill these table manners in you, and you dont care if others eat like pigs or dogs, then that is you and your experience. 

At to those who deny that this is a widespread thing, you are either liars or have poor eyesight.

Totally agree with you, trying to teach my daughter table manners and at almost 5 she is getting there.

Oh and the wife is getting alot better using a knife and fork 555

Thai children are raised with zero discipline for the most part. Keeping their mouth shut in class, obeying rules of the road, things like that are not important in Thai society. Kids can do or say whatever they want, whenever they want. Spankings are unheard of. They grow up into adults with the same mentality and are generally a “me first” attitude. At least that has been my observations over the past seven years.

Thais learning to wai at every opportunity and saying na krab at the end of every sentence is their concession to politeness. Driving the wrong way on a street because going to the next U turn is too much trouble or pushing someone out of the way when they want to change lanes is quite acceptable. I seriously doubt most kids raised in Thailand have ever been taught how to eat politely in front of others. In fact I doubt Thai parents teach their kids by way of discipline ANYTHING.

Edited by Kurtf
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1