Retiring in Malaysia. Better than Thailand?

Shoban

Hello everyone,

What are your thoughts on retirement in Malaysia? I have lived in both Malaysia and Thailand and currently living in KL city. I have met a number of young and older expats who mostly prefer Malaysian life over living in Thailand.

There is a good scheme called Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) which although has been pushed as a 'retirement' scheme, it is actually open to anyone above 21.  Recently I met a young chap from Swiss who runs his company remotely and he is coming in to Malaysia on this programme. 

I also met a couple from France who signed up and were looking at high end properties just overlooking the KL Twin Towers. Apparently the value they can get on real estate compared to living in France is really good here in Malaysia.

It offers a 10 year (renewable after that period) multiple entry visa. along with various tax free incentives.

There are only 2 main requirements which is a monthly pension or income of at least USD $2400 and liquid assets of at least USD $84000. I did research and it is more expensive that perhaps Philippines retirement programme yes, but Malaysia offers so much more in terms of quality living, safety, medical quality (M'sia was ranked number 1 in world healthcare quality recently) and infrastructure. 

Curious to know what expats in Thailand think about the programme! Here is a link to more details.

https://www.movetomalaysia.co.uk/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=promo

And also attaching a very detailed brochure on the programme too. 

MM2H Brochure US v2.pdf

Edited by Shoban
I accidentally hit enter before i was done
  • Like 2

I'd read of the lesbians being whipped.

Sharia law will keep me out of any country that enforces it.

Although its only in a few Malaysian states as the article mentions.

I was surprised when I was in Kuala Lumpur last summer that there was a spot which had many obvious male hustlers. And this was on a main shopping street.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's just my opinion but i wouldn't live in a  in a country where the head of state is a hardcore racist and anti semite... this old goat Mahathir Mohamad who had this to say very recently...

“Apartheid, genocide, crimes against humanity, crimes of aggression and all the evil that mankind can inflict on others can be compiled in Palestine - courtesy of the barbaric, arrogant, terrorist nation called Israel."

Well, it’s kind of the truth!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, madmen said:

20 million Muslims still practicing sharia law... You better learn to say allahu ahkbar!!

Enjoy

It is not as much fun as Thailand, but it is superior in a number of ways.   Malays are better educated overall.  You can have meaningful, enlightening discussions there.  If you wanted to build something, paint something or trim your hedges, that is not considered "working" in Malaysia.  Medical services are good there.  They had a real election there where the corrupt got chucked out.  Better public transport is also available. 

Fun wise, Bangkok is proving to be less fun everyday, so KL might be a better alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It is not as much fun as Thailand, but it is superior in a number of ways.   Malays are better educated overall.  You can have meaningful, enlightening discussions there.  If you wanted to build something, paint something or trim your hedges, that is not considered "working" in Malaysia.  Medical services are good there.  They had a real election there where the corrupt got chucked out.  Better public transport is also available. 

Fun wise, Bangkok is proving to be less fun everyday, so KL might be a better alternative. 

For people who don't consider a large capital city to be the best retirement destination, where, apart from Penang, would there be a reasonable sized town with amenities, beaches, and freedom of thought?

I guess I'm wondering about the east coast, which apparently has beaches and islands, but perhaps is backwards and conservative.

Is there any westerner friendly communities there?

If you are happy living in a Muslim country then why not? Except the visa and annual income costs  are way higher than the Philippines; actually about 4 times more expensive and that would put a lot of people off. I've only ever been to Penang so I don't really know the country but there the people were extremely friendly and polite and the food was interesting and pretty good. I'm pretty sure that the cost of living is higher. On the plus side there is no sex industry which precludes a lot of the scussos that have not helped the image or daily life of Thailand!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, leggo said:

On the plus side there is no sex industry

Not in your face like like it is in Thailand perhaps, but I can assure you that it's there. If you have such a problem with it, why ever did you move to Thailand? It's not like they used to hide it away. 

I've been to Malaysia numerous times and have always enjoyed it, though quite a bit of my time has been spent in Sarawak and Sabah which have very little Muslim influence. I love those two places, particularly Sabah, the people are very friendly. Peninsular Malaysia is more of a melting pot and not all of it is exactly friendly or inviting to infidels. I'm sure there are some great spots to retire, though, but it's going to be more expensive, more orderly and more rulebound than Thailand once was. That will attract some folks, fair enough, but it's quite possible, the way things are going here, that Thailand will end up more expensive and authoritarian than Malaysia. If you enjoy a bit of chaos and freedom then there are better destinations in SEA, though how long they'll last is a moot point.

• Thanks 1

People sometimes forget, but History doesn't .

https://www.counterpunch.org/2007/05/26/the-1969-riots-against-the-chinese-in-malaysia/

On May 13, 1969, riots against the Chinese began in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was considered the worst racial riot in Malaysian history. Many Malaysian Chinese fled to Singapore for protection. 

https://www.newmandala.org/rise-anti-chinese-politics-malaysia-indonesia/

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/05/article/fifty-years-on-fateful-race-riots-still-haunt-malaysia/

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1