TM.30: Immigration chief tells foreigners: Report where you are and who is staying with you

rooster59

What that officer said is all perfectly reasonable as one expects of a law.     

The problems come from the administration of the law.     

The passport contains all the information required to identify a person, that, and a correctly written address of a residence, taken together fulfils the requirement of the relevant section of The Immigration Act

All the other reports are shot through with unnecessary bureaucracy eg. 90 day report;  there is not need for a receipt unless there is no means of retrieving it from the system. The insistence that an extension is not a report to Immigration is similarly ridiculous. 

It would be nice if some trust were employed.  Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way round.  

This is all common sense and the General probably thinks this is what he is insisting upon, he probably doesn’t realise how much of a shambles his department is making of it!  

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, blackcab said:

Did I read that right? If you have a yellow house book, or you are listed in the blue house book (Permanent Residents), you do not need to file a TM30 if you are returning to that address?

As foreigners both my wife and I are on the yellow book as yet I have never had to fill in a TM 30 . When I do my yearly extension of stay I submit a copy of our yellow book as well as copies of our This issued pink ID Cards . On a personal level I have found having a yellow housebook and pink ID card less problematic I even get discount when showing my card. 

18 hours ago, Griffo63 said:

Is there any significance in the words "on a temporary basis"?

I own my condo and live there permanently by extending my retirement visa every 12 months.

I did my 90 days reporting online a few weeks  ago and was not asked about TM30 

A friend, in the same position as me, did an extension on his retirement visa without any request for TM30 either.

Both at CW 

the system in PT is that you only have to do the TM30 once as long as you do not change the address.  They have it all on computer so they just check to see that it is there.  i have never had any problem with it in 9 years.

Those that are complaining obviously have never checked their home countries.  Canada has a requirement that they know where you are.  All hotels are on the computer system so the government can find out who is in what hotel.

This is one of the problems that the US system is trying to resolve with illegal immigration as there is o way to track them.

Personally while it may be a pain in the asset I see no reason for the whining that goes on here every time immigration enforces rules that have been on the books for years if not decades.

The only thing I hate is that I have to have my passport with me just to get more money put on my BTS card.

When my sister comes to visit me from abroad she has to fill in a form on the aircraft giving the address where she will be staying surely this should be enough Information for the IO as they must register it on the computer on arrival I think it’s called a TM 2  

15 minutes ago, ExpatNP said:

Anything else?

Yes, take what’s left of your self esteem and balls. Wai and bow deeply and hand it all over while asking for forgiveness because you didn’t mean to be born a lowly foreigner. Then tell them that you will make merit so your next life you can be a Thai street dog.

2 hours ago, PhonThong said:
17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I had a foursome last night; three girls from Soi Cowboy staying with me. (Two of them said they were from Laos.) Was too drunk to remember their names. I think, one called herself 'Apple' (or 'Banana'??)... Anyway it was a fruit! I'm sure about that. So, what do I write now onto my TM.30 report??

Entertained a Fruit Salad.

I remember my doctor in the UK telling me not to forget my five a day... 

13 hours ago, lkv said:

Oh Marcus, that's a 90 day report receipt.

I am talking about TM30 and TM28.

There is no excuse whatsoever. You should have known. It's an old law. 

lkv, this is a TM30 receipt, NOT a 90 day report receipt. 

1 hour ago, aussieinphuket said:

so the 24 hr reporting using TM30 works fine i have used it many occasions now, only issue is you cannot print out a copy of the form which you are supposed to then staple into the back of your passport, so i take a photo then i take a print of the photo. but if questioned immigration can go online and check you did it, proven a few weeks ago when i went to do 90 day reporting and the immigration guy got all snarky as couldn't fine me for anything, just said you no do 24hr i said yes online, he said i will check, that was the end of it i assume he found out i was right..

but my problem now like i think many others is the system for 90 days reporting, i have tried and tried and tried, i tried via internet explore and then google chrome instead of my usual safari, it just won't work after filling in all the relevant information all you get is report to your local immigration office ...

when when when will they sort this out, the sooner the better it will mean lesser people having to go to immigration and cause long length ques ...... has anyone done the 90 days reporting online and it works. how long before the actual due date did you go online and do it....

90 day works for me on my MacBook using Safari. Completed last 4. Only problem encountered was when I was not yet in the correct window to report (14 to 7 days before) due to the wrong date being stamped on my 90 day ticket after a physical TM30 report. Just one more thing to check each time you visit.

48 minutes ago, at15 said:

the right woman will take your word to the bank no matter what. dont be some simp afraid of what your wife will think. thai women deal with thai men who might as well be females and chop off their dick. many thai women actually do this for them. fun fact: thailand is #1 for penis reattachment surgery in the world. 

I’m no simp as you put it. Just prefer the simple life. If I knew immigration were liable to point this out, I would of just told her with no problem. But obviously I made a mistake there. I just figured sometimes things are just best left alone and unsaid.  

I assume you have the right women that takes your word to the bank no matter what.  Congrats lucky you.????

17 hours ago, james.d said:

I have a nephew and his gf visiting in August and they will stay at our house on 4 different nights.

1. Should I report them both staying on these different dates with us in 1 visit to immigration?

2. If they put a hotel on their arrival tm30 card and do not go the that hotel will it be a problem?

(not use my address)

3. Should I report them at our home for the entire period?

Thanks.

This is the gimic of the law. Technically, you should report on each stays as #1 above

Better go to immigration office to ask this question.

18 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

I think that'll be the tipping point for a lot of people ???? 

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it next year in February. However, in the meantime I'll be working on several backup plans just to be on the safe side in case the requirements for living here get too complicated.

I think it’s time to accept the fact, we just aren’t wanted anymore ( if we ever were ) . 

I wonder if China will make Thailand change their country’s name to a Chinese province in say , 10 years .. ? 

On another note what do they do with all the copies of paperwork we have to supply over the years , I mean they must over 100 copies of my passport for example  over the past 10 years 

6 hours ago, jewell49 said:

bring back Big Joke he certainly is not as big a joke as these <deleted>

He deserves no plaudits, and paved the way for the current shambles. In the past nine months we've had the two most xenophobic immigration chiefs in living memory, and when the current head retires and is replaced within the next year, the groupthink among the ranks will ensure his successor ups the ante even more.

1 minute ago, Howiehotspur said:

I think it’s time to accept the fact, we just aren’t wanted anymore ( if we ever were ) . 

I wonder if China will make Thailand change their country’s name to a Chinese province in say , 10 years .. ? 

Wee NoWant Whingers, ROC has a nice ring to it.

And the silliness gets ramped back up.

House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." 

But my house isn't a "temporary basis".

It is, believe it or not, where I live.

As to the local office rules.

One officer said I had to report when I came back from Suvarnabhumi (where the got my address on the arrivals slip).

Another one said, no. Your house.

I wasn't aware I could get my name in a blue tabien baan. But even if I do, does that eliminate the need for a TM30?

Getting a yellow one is possible. But in typical Thai style Chaam will issue one but my local amphur 10 kilometers up the road says I have to go to Chaeng Wattana and jump through multiple hoops.

And, again, does that even work?

Now if my buddy comes over for a "few" drinks gets polluted and passes out on the sofa. Am I in violation of the law for not reporting that? Even if he lives in the adjacent house?

OK, I get it. They would like to know where people who enter the country are so they don't just disappear.

I know it is asking too much but maybe they could use some common sense.

Like expats on a yearly extension with permanent residences are a different type of animal than tourists wandering around the country.

They could do away with the 90 day reports too.

What exactly do they achieve?

Yeah, I'm here. I live here.

Since I can do them in any office or even online what valuable information are you garnering?

17 hours ago, 300sd said:

I just returned from Isaan. Stayed at gf's house for 10 days. She never did a tm30.

Well I didn't want to tell her about it because then I'd have to drive her to the nearest police station.....and we don't really like that lot either.

I don't know of one Thai woman who even remotely likes the Thai police...

It just shows how stupid we were when we blithely retired to Thailand all those years ago even though we knew it didn't have a formal retirement programme for foreigners. For years and years it didn't seem to matter, nobody cared, but now the chickens are coming home to roost. Every announcement seems to emphasise something along the lines of, "foreigners permitted to stay temporarily on long visas". The writing is clearly on the wall, time to sell up and move on, and this time to a country that welcomes foreigners properly.

How will this work ? The acting head IO says you must report, but it is known that some offices don't want it as they are already swamped with sheets of A4 piled up in every corner, why are they doing this it will take up time of officers who could be, could be, out catching the monsters on overstay etc,  if this and other measures are to make people feel uncomfortable, well done it worked . 

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

You don't think there are plenty of young guys here working. Some are teaching, others are here with their companies, some have been brought in by the Thais themselves for government consulting at places like Thai universities. All of them would have non-B visas extended for employment. And every one of them will be effected by the TM 30. 

You do know that's not what you said, and what I replied to, earlier:

15 hours ago, zydeco said:

And I would hate to be a young guy seeking out new experiences and wanting travel all over the place and explore new things. Because the TM 30 has just turned that into hell. If I were young, I would check out of here, pronto.

Then you where talking about a real tourist.

50 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

When my sister comes to visit me from abroad she has to fill in a form on the aircraft giving the address where she will be staying surely this should be enough Information for the IO as they must register it on the computer on arrival I think it’s called a TM 2  

TM6 but TM30 still required (if she will have anything to do with immigration before leaving, if not, forget about it).

I fully understand that when I return to my rented apartment after reentering the country that I need to update my TM.30 at immigration.  Done it twice already without a hitch. But I'm still uncertain/unclear about what is required if I travel around only inside Thailand and return home, am I required to also update my TM.30 at immigration? Or is the onus of responsibility on the apartment management where I live? And if they don't do it, will I be the one at fault and subsequently fined.

I wouldn't know a TM.30 if it jumped up and bit me in the arse. Never filed one, and to my knowledge my landlady never filed one in the 30 years of renting the house. I went away frequently, and all the hotels I have stayed in accepted my Thai ID's. Only one hotel in Bangkok refused to register me because I didn't have my passport with me. Maybe one day ......................

4 minutes ago, Leatherneck said:

I fully understand that when I return to my rented apartment after reentering the country that I need to update my TM.30 at immigration.  Done it twice already without a hitch. But I'm still uncertain/unclear about what is required if I travel around only inside Thailand and return home, am I required to also update my TM.30 at immigration? Or is the onus of responsibility on the apartment management where I live? And if they don't do it, will I be the one at fault and subsequently fined.

Im sorry i cant answer you because i am at a loss to get my head around the reason, yes they can ask whatever but there must  be a reason why this is now being policed, maybe in a short while we will all ve rounded up and sent packing, no i am not  joking

19 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

How the #@#* can you inform them before you leave home, especially if you don't use chrome or IE browsers?

Try reading and comprehending the article. You don’t notify your local office, you notify the office where you will stay. “ Notification can be done with the local police officer within 24 hours from the arrival time”. Fairly simple and straight forward. I never done a TM 30 until this year when it started being enforced. Well the wife does it and she’s in and out of the IO in 10-15 minutes. No problems and straight forward. 

Archived