TM.30: Immigration chief tells foreigners: Report where you are and who is staying with you

rooster59

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, MartinKal said:

The rules seem arbitrary and insistent and more and more so. Noone who is a real danger to the kingdom would be caught in this way.

I cannot see a rational explanation for why the govt would want to damage its tourist industry or harm foreign residents in this way. 

corruption is always the answer.

As with many rules and regulations from immigration, the actual requirements may differ from one office to another. 

To confirm exactly what is required in your province, contact your local immigration office.

Might as well have saved his breath !

2 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Thailand was once a friendly and inviting country now it's becoming more like North Korea but they're not worried because the rich Indians are coming soon. 555

Perhaps it is to do with the clientele they have had to deal with in recent years..

7 minutes ago, upena said:

I have reported to the local Thai Police and they had no idea what the TM 30 was.

Me too, they did'nt know what it was but signed and stamped it anyway. When I showed it at Immigration they said you must do here. I said will you open for me on Saturday or Sunday I arrived Friday night. Just shouted can not do at Police station must come here. 

tourism is down...let's find a new way for easy money from those stupid farangs... why not a forced app that shows your location and you have to press it everyday or be fined?

or maybe have to visit the police station everyday to go report you STILL live there

19 minutes ago, at15 said:

ridiculous you cant just explain what happened. classic thai women, you could explain your story 100 times and hire a private investigator to prove your innocence and she still would not comprehend one thing. just too god damn low IQ. 

It’s all about perception and face. My ex wife in the U.K. would be all over that kicking right off no matter what immigration said. My Thai wife was just happy the immigration officer saved it for her. 

And tbh I wouldn’t of told any wife of any nationality if I’d in stayed NA NA hotel for any reason or valid excuse, not a  chance in bloody hell!

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

As with many rules and regulations from immigration, the actual requirements may differ from one office to another. 

To confirm exactly what is required in your province, contact your local immigration office

That's the whole problem!

Thai Immigration have a website; the criteria for all visa related applications should be advertised on there, not left to each immigration office to make-up their own rules.  Try calling Jomtien immigration; no answer.  If you are there and try to ask a question at the relevant desk, they look at you like you're a piece of shit; usually resulting in no answer.

Most foreigners don't have a problem, until they set foot into an immigration office; the problems arise from lack of leadership from above.

18 hours ago, SammyT said:

I bet you'll still be here in a year. Just like everyone else who threatens to take their expat retiree money elsewhere...

You are missing the point.  The OP is entitled to do his own "cost-benefit analysis" about how long to remain in LOS, just as we all are. He is expressing his contempt and exhaustion at living under this policy.  Sure, it has been on the books since 1979, and thankfully and intelligently ignored until now while it is being used as a handy excuse to continue to turn up the screws on civil liberties.  This rule of reporting your whereabouts is a bizarre, draconian, inhuman policy and is not appropriate to a developing nation and aspiring big boy member of the global community. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know "Their country, their rules!" But that doesn't change the principles involved and has nothing to do with the price of peas in Peoria. It also doesn't address the fact that this stupid policy is a burden on Thai landlords and hotel operators who cannot possibly be charmed or in agreement with its stepped-up enforcement.

30 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

and from one officer to another. And from one Immigration Supreme Chief to another.

Glad he "cleared" that up.

Look here, Master of Immigration, you are acting on a 40 year old law. Tourism has changed, infrastructure has changed, demographics have changed, communication has changed, data storage has changed. You are trying to apply this law to new circumstances via amendments and letting your officers interpret it as they want. Don't use band-aids on something that is fundamentally broken, you need a new law. 

No, no, no! They don't need a new law, for Peter sake!  Just get rid of the old stupid one!

Just now, rexall said:

No, no, no! They don't need a new law, for Peter sake!  Just get rid of the old stupid one!

Go back and look at the photograph at the top of the OP. Does that guy look like he is the sort to admit he made a mistake and has caused utter chaos for foreigners, TI staff, and Thai landlords? 

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Does the online reporting actually work?

I would not trust any online Immigration service, paper trails are assured online transactions go missing and you have no fallback and can potentially become an alien offender 

3 minutes ago, ExpatNP said:

Has anyone here done a TM30 at Nakhon Pathom Immigration?

Are they all up to speed with it?

It's a requirement when you extend your visa/extension of stay. I don't think they are as strict as some of the other offices, but you never know when/if it will change.

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

Did I read that right? If you have a yellow house book, or you are listed in the blue house book (Permanent Residents), you do not need to file a TM30 if you are returning to that address?

If you are a permanent resident at that address you don't have to do a tm 30 on return to that address

12 minutes ago, justin case said:

tourism is down...let's find a new way for easy money from those stupid farangs... why not a forced app that shows your location and you have to press it everyday or be fined?

or maybe have to visit the police station everyday to go report you STILL live there

I think it's more to do with the "We control you" thingy. Not only for farangs but the populace too...Thai folk have to put up with daft stuff too, how many days in the year they can't buy beer.. Restaurants that can't serve beer or wine to their customers with their meals before 5pm.....Just doesn't make sense to me...

Just now, dave moir said:

If you are a permanent resident at that address you don't have to do a tm 30 on return to that address

Oh yes you do, well according to my local immigration folk....But wait, the next time a different lady there said something like.."Not need this time"... Gawd, this country does not have a clue how to run anything...

11 minutes ago, dave moir said:

Are you confusing where you live with having an immigration status of "Permanent Resident" (PR).

Permanent Resident is one step down from being a Thai citizen, its a process that takes 10 years and interviews, etc and no need for 90 day or TM30 etc. Haveing a permanent residence is a different thing and still requires TM30.

Having a permanent house, residence does not exempt you from doing TM30.

18 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

"And in Singburi a house in Moo 13 Mai Dat sub-district was surrounded and the house owner was fined under section 38. "

Did they send in a SWAT team?

The Machiavellian rules are in place because it is obviously assumed that all foreigners are criminal low-lifes whose mere presence in Thailand threatens the national security of the country and all Thai inhabitants - adults, children, and dogs - and any person sheltering a foreigner is in fact aiding and abetting an evil person who is no doubt a criminal and as such drastic measures must be enforced (like surrounding the house with weapons at the ready) should any householder fail to submit the now sacred TM30 form.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People dont appear to realise, The only time you need a TM30 recipt (either in the system or in your pocket) is "WHEN" you present to immigration for something (90 day, extension, COR etc). Otherwise nobody is asking for a TM30 for a 2 day stay in Nakon Nowhere.

If you have no business visiting immigration in Nakon Nowhere, immigration in Nakon Nowhere wont have a clue you passed through, stayed a week or slept on a friends couch.

Why make it more complicated than it already is. You need a TM30 report for the office you will be visiting in the future, otherwise dont worry about it.

But  not in all Immigration offices because "as  usual" its only enforced in some  offices.

Online reporting for 90 day does not ask for TM30  information either.

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

Did I read that right? If you have a yellow house book, or you are listed in the blue house book (Permanent Residents), you do not need to file a TM30 if you are returning to that address?

Clearly not right since I was fined in Chiang Mai despite having a yellow book.

45 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

It’s all about perception and face. My ex wife in the U.K. would be all over that kicking right off no matter what immigration said. My Thai wife was just happy the immigration officer saved it for her. 

And tbh I wouldn’t of told any wife of any nationality if I’d in stayed NA NA hotel for any reason or valid excuse, not a  chance in bloody hell!

the right woman will take your word to the bank no matter what. dont be some simp afraid of what your wife will think. thai women deal with thai men who might as well be females and chop off their dick. many thai women actually do this for them. fun fact: thailand is #1 for penis reattachment surgery in the world. 

15 minutes ago, alien365 said:

It's a requirement when you extend your visa/extension of stay. I don't think they are as strict as some of the other offices, but you never know when/if it will change.

Well, the app is no longer on the iOS App Store, so I suppose I’d better get myself over there when I return from England in a couple of weeks.

TM30 form and what else?

A copy of our lease (in the wife’s name ) and her ID card?

Anything else?

18 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

"And in Singburi a house in Moo 13 Mai Dat sub-district was surrounded and the house owner was fined under section 38. "

Did they send in a SWAT team?

Personally I find this kind of institutionalized fear response to be incredibly over-the-top and indicative of a sort of collective psychological pathology that seems to be unique to Thailand. 
If foreigners (most of who have more money that the average Thais and many who support Thai families) were actually such a horrible threat as well as a clear and present danger to the national security of a county, then how is it that you can find other countries in Asia (and around the world for that matter) whose immigration policies are nowhere as near as paranoid as those in Thailand?  That's why I posit that the Thai obsession with keeping foreigners in a regulatory hell and under constant surveillance is actually a sign of collective, deep-seated psychological issues that manifest as distrust, xenophobia, and a generalize but all-pervasive fear of non-Thais. It's that fractured psyche that creates the conditions where authorities feel so fearful that they need to "surround the house" of an individual who failed to file a TM30.  Would not a simple telephone call or letter to the householder directing them to file a TM30 in a timely manner at the risk of incurring a fine not be the appropriate action of cooler minds?

Instead, they make their own citizens 'criminals by association who must be ostracized and fined for their ignorance of obscure laws which seek to keep all foreigners under the microscope of 24/7 surveillance - a concept that even normal Thai citizens obviously can not comprehend.

Archived