TM.30: Immigration chief tells foreigners: Report where you are and who is staying with you

rooster59

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if immigration use Thaivisa for one of its main sources of undercover research..

I have this theory about Thailand based expats over-estimating their own importance........... ????????????

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having to report every time you go somewhere is restrictive and insulting not imo for security but to make it more difficult and to remind us we are an underclass anyway pattaya is full of criminals so now I don’t go anywhere else in Thailand  but I go Cambodia quite a bit much better value less developed.

I have never bought in Thailand I always suspected they would eventually compel people to give up any ownership of property through company or farang condo portion.

Probably do another ext but I am less happy to put up with this xenophobic nonsense

It's all big words , but I have never been fined yet after 10 years.  Traveled and lived in hotels/AirBNB and condos all over Thailand. 
I am waiting for my first fine, if they treat me like a criminal I am out of here. 

1 hour ago, johnny49r said:

So if you are here illegally there is no need to notify local immigration. Good to know!

I wonder what the immigration folks actually do with all that redundant info? Is there any nationwide database where it all collects or is it just another way to make life more difficult for the evil farang.

It eventually gets sold for scrap. Which is why you should always sign and date any photocopies you give to the gov, and write the purpose of the copy, such as "For 90 Day Report Only" somewhere on the face of the document, not in the margin.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Look, it's their country and they can make up whatever rules they want.  But don't be surprised when the 'Good guys in, bad guys out' slogan actually results in 'Good guys out, bad guys in'.

Bad guys don't do 90 day reports and TM30s.  They lie low.  Good guys (and ladies) are the ones who are being inconvenienced because of these ludicrous rules that do nothing to make the country or foreign tourists/expats any safer.

Immigration at CW was due to see another 500,000 baht from me to renew my Elite visa.  That's not going to happen now, and in 3 weeks I'll be sitting in another country with my 1 year business visa, work permit and still with 485,000 baht in the bank ????

so you keep telling us.

For me. its carry on as normal, I think I'll just wait until Immigration comes knocking on my door, Sir, our records show that in 4 years you have never left the province for holidays? Yeah, I don't travel much. Sir what are all these photos on your walls with happy snaps all around Thailand? Ooops!!! Gee officer, how about we have a coffee and work this out, just a moment, I'll get my wallet.????

I don't see the point. With the TM30 and the 90 day reporting, immigration creates an astronomical nightmare for themselves. Ques everywhere, and for what purpose? The unwanted criminal will get into Thailand no matter what.

No you have to line up outside immigration at Chaeng Whattana, and at least 40% of the foreigners are only there to do 90 day reporting. Add to it the movements of 17 million tourists per year and you have an admin nightmare !!

29 minutes ago, rexall said:

Technically, the onus is on the "house master," the manager or the owner. However, I strongly suspect you will be the one at fault if the manager doesn't do it even though that is contrary to what the law requires.  Having said that, if you are just traveling around Thailand, who is to know except by some fluke?

Agree. I think the same...if the apartment manager doesn't do it, then the fault will be mine.

As for no one knowing about whereabouts during my road trips inside Thailand on my motorbike, I assume that hotels that I check into will report me wherever I go so there will be a paper trail of where I am or I've been...until such time as I return to my apartment. Thus, the dilemma upon my return...and the distasteful feeling of being constantly monitored.

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

It's quite straightforward ...

Within 48 hours of travelling out of your own province you must notify the authorities in each province (that is, the one where you reside and the one where you may visit - and, possibly, the provinces which you will have to pass through, if you are intending to break up your journey and spend some time as a tourist in those places) of your intention to have a short holiday away from your usual abode.

If travelling in your own recently purchased car (on a red plate that may take 3 months to get properly registered) you must enter the details of your proposed journey in the log book before you set out, and must arrive at your destination before nightfall (as red plates are not permitted to travel after dark - regardless of the driver's qualifications or experience).

Upon reaching your destination you must report to the nearest immigration office or police station within 24 hours. If you are staying at a hotel or guest house they will inform immigration of your arrival (easily done online) but, if you are staying with friends or family, they must travel to the nearest immigration office (could be a 4-6 hour round trip) to report that you stayed overnight.

If you are planning to visit a few friends and family they will each have to do the same (this will not make you a popular visitor).

Arriving home, just make sure you visit your local Immigration office within 24 hours and let them know you're back - if your local Immi is at Jomtien they will give you a puzzled look and tell you to go away "We're busy". (or, on another day or another Immi officer - get in the queue and pay your fine).

Don't forget, if your Extention of stay or 90-day report is due while you are away you can't do it in another province, so go home and repeat the process in reverse.

On the whole it's probably easier to just stay home - and don't let any foreigners visit you.

What about the people who want to go to Starbucks?

3 minutes ago, Leatherneck said:

Agree. I think the same...if the apartment manager doesn't do it, then the fault will be mine.

As for no one knowing about whereabouts during my road trips inside Thailand on my motorbike, I assume that hotels that I check into will report me wherever I go so there will be a paper trail of where I am or I've been...until such time as I return to my apartment. Thus, the dilemma upon my return...and the distasteful feeling of being constantly monitored.

I misspoke.  I should have said if you are traveling around Thailand staying with friends, who's to know?

I can understand posters venting on this subject...but what good is it really doing? Preaching to like minded individuals.

Perhaps a letter writing campaign to the Nation and the Bangkok Post in English and the other newspapers in Thai language by your wife/gf/partner may be more worthwhile.

99% of the Thai population have no idea of immigration rules - why should they.

Getting the message out into the general populace may be a more worthwhile expenditure of your time and effort.

just my 2 bobs worth

7 hours ago, billsmart said:

One of the lines in this article states:

"If you live in a house which is in your wife’s name and you are not named on the tabian baan, then your wife is required to submit a TM.30 form telling immigration you live there."

So, does that mean if you ARE named on the tabian baan (which I THINK means have a "Yellow Book" showing you live at that address) that your wife DOESN'T have to file a TM.30 every time you leave the province for a night and return?

Yes, that's right.

47 minutes ago, rexall said:

Technically, the onus is on the "house master," the manager or the owner. However, I strongly suspect you will be the one at fault if the manager doesn't do it even though that is contrary to what the law requires.  Having said that, if you are just traveling around Thailand, who is to know except by some fluke?

4 minutes ago, rexall said:

I misspoke.  I should have said if you are traveling around Thailand staying with friends, who's to know?

Agree again. Unfortunately I don't have that many friends. Plus the main objective of the road trips is to explore the hinterlands and discover places within the so-called "The Land of Smiles" that I haven't seen before...and without wondering along the way if immigration or the police will be knocking on my door when I return home asking why I travel in Thailand so much. Geez, I'm starting to sound paranoid now.????

On 7/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, 2long said:

How about short-time hotels? ????

That'd be an interesting can of worms if everyone had to 'report' their stays! ????

Only if you can last longer than it takes to fill out the form... ask reception on the way out who won ????  !

On 7/20/2019 at 5:06 PM, rooster59 said:

As with many rules and regulations from immigration, the actual requirements may differ from one office to another. 

To confirm exactly what is required in your province, contact your local immigration office.

How can people be expected to know what each office requires that is different from every other office? And why is there no unity in the requirements throughout Thailand? 

Yet, they are quick to fine you or label you as a bad apple for Thailand if you didn't know something or failed to report some change. 

If this new boss is really going to tighten the reigns on foreigners. He should first ensure that each and every immigration office is trained and follows the laws and asks for the same things every other office requires by law. Instead of them making their own rules and requirements.

1 hour ago, rexall said:

The is the weirdest definition of "simple and straight forward" I have ever heard!

So you have trouble reading and comprehending also or do you just like to complain. 

Storm in a teacup. There are thousands of Thai rural villages harbouring farangs. Immigration couldn't possibly visit 10% of them without denuding their offices of staff.

Like prostitution,gambling, speeding and corruption, it's a case of legal strictures against reality.

The TM30/28 thing is stupid, but .. guess what would happen if they'd actually started tinkering on the immigration act now. It wouldn't just be removal of that, but insertion of a plethora of additional draconian rules. We've already seen what the usurpers think of aliens.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, MeePeeMai said:
On 7/20/2019 at 12:06 PM, rooster59 said:

As with many rules and regulations from immigration, the actual requirements may differ from one office to another. 

You forgot to mention that they can also change from day to day and from officer to officer.

...and from mood to mood.

13 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

How can people be expected to know what each office requires that is different from every other office? And why is there no unity in the requirements throughout Thailand? 

Yet, they are quick to fine you or label you as a bad apple for Thailand if you didn't know something or failed to report some change. 

If this new boss is really going to tighten the reigns on foreigners. He should first ensure that each and every immigration office is trained and follows the laws and asks for the same things every other office requires by law. Instead of them making their own rules and requirements.

There is no unity because it is not the Law, laws apply throughout the country. I expect if the Lt. General sees any of the 1dproperty analysis of what he said and understands it, I expect him to be amazed.  

On 7/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, blackcab said:

Did I read that right? If you have a yellow house book, or you are listed in the blue house book (Permanent Residents), you do not need to file a TM30 if you are returning to that address?

Before I left Thailand last year (for a 2 week trip back home), I specifically asked the immigration guy about this. Namely, what do I need to do when I return to Thailand in terms of notifying address and the 90-day reporting.

He told me that because I have the tabian baan (yellow book), their assumption would be that's where I go when I return to Thailand. If I'm not [there], then the hotel or wherever I'm staying would notify them; if I go anywhere else, then I'd need to notify them. But, they were specific about me not needing to go to the immigration office on my return.

With regards to 90-day reporting, they told me I only need to report when I notify/renew my 90-day approx 3-months after my return.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Hardly a serious offence if the max fine is 2000 baht.

Glad I applied for citizenship, I couldn't handle spending 10 minutes every year when I'm over 60, retired, living such a busy life.

Yes, if you have a house book, you don't need to do this nonsense.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Yellow house book?  Feel free to perpetuate that particular myth.  :whistling:

Sorry, in understandable English please.

Have you lost the ability to understand English now that you've attained citizenship?   Kudos.  I applaud your newly attained status as you can now look down on the rest of us with complete detain. 

Yes.  As a citizen with your name in a Blue House book you do not have to report your address.  Swell for you! :thumbsup:

As a non-citizen with your name in a Yellow House book you most definitely are required to have a TM30 and a current 90 day report stapled into your passport in most Immigration districts, and specifically in mine.  However, in some districts, Immigration offices have their own set of rules.  TIT.  

Archived