Email from Bangkok Bank

I just received an email  that says from Bangkok Bank. It says, "We have detected some unusual activity on your Bua Luang ...." 

I don't think I have a Bua Luang account. I have a savings account and a fixed account.  Is it safe to open this email?

It's probably a scam.  It probably OK to click on it to read the entire email...but just don't click any links within the email as it will probably just take you to a spoofed Bangkok Bank website where they want you to logon....and if you logon you have just given the scammer your ibanking credentials.

https://malwaretips.com/resources/google-weve-detected-unusual-activity-on-your-account-phishing-email.77/

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

Also read below from Bangkok Bank...security alert regarding phishing. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking/Security-Alert-Detail

My Thai banking friend (snr. position) says that internet banking is a nightmare to keep it secure, same as credit card banking, and the bank has a team to monitor these products 24 hrs a day, same in other countries. 

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

Also read below from Bangkok Bank...security alert regarding phishing. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking/Security-Alert-Detail

That said I received email from them Friday with a click to view attachment of new terms and conditions (which I did not click on).  But suspect email is real as had just logged onto ibanking and had to accept new terms.  Both normal alert of signon and this were about 3 hours after the fact but this has been happening last few days on emails from Bangkok Bank.  Normally they are immediately after signon of Ibanking but now delayed, which is a bit concerning if you forgot you had logged on. 

It's been happening for more than a few days....I've been seeing it for months.  The morning hours seem to be the worst.  You use to get the alert within minutes (or maybe even seconds) of logging on...and still do "sometimes".  Other times it's much later.  

I think the Bangkok Bank bank mbanking/ibanking has been struggling lately. 

Just a month or so ago after using them for over a decade I had my first glitch with an ibanking transfer of funds (approx Bt11K) to an external account (an annual transfer I do)....the transfer encountered a glitch...funds were withdrawn from my account but the transfer did not really go through.  However, the ibanking did show me a message that the transfer "may not" have been successful--and it was not successful.  I called Bangkok Bank...gave them the info...they said they would work the issue/refund the funds.  Exactly 20 hours later I had a full refund.  Tried the transfer again and it went through this time. 

This glitch had been preceded by months noticing the Bangkok Bank ibanking or mbanking just seemed somewhat sluggish in doing certain transaction.   And it's not due to me having a slow connection here in Bangkok as I have an AIS Fibre 300Mb speed internet plan at my home and my mobile speed is 4G speed.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That said I received email from them Friday with a click to view attachment of new terms and conditions (which I did not click on). 

Yes, absolutely legit, attachment "TC_ONLINE20190715EN_001.pdf".

New terms/conditions effective from July 15, 2019.

Sent on July 19. Their special kind of humor :dry:

As far as I remember a similar message was in the inbox of the internet banking sometime earlier.

I haven't got any such email from Bangkok Bank about new terms/conditions eff 15 July....not even in my Spam folder.  Even email that hits my Spam folder I do my best to insure it's not a valid/safe email that occasionally ends up there.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, lopburi3 said:

That said I received email from them Friday with a click to view attachment of new terms and conditions (which I did not click on).  But suspect email is real as had just logged onto ibanking and had to accept new terms.  Both normal alert of signon and this were about 3 hours after the fact but this has been happening last few days on emails from Bangkok Bank.  Normally they are immediately after signon of Ibanking but now delayed, which is a bit concerning if you forgot you had logged on. 

I never rec'd such an "email"....and I checked my Spam email folder also. 

However, just "today/23 July when logging onto my Bangkok Bank ibanking I was greeted with below 15 July Terms and Conditions notice (1st snapshot below is just a partial quote) which I had to agree to before I could complete the logon. 

I then thought to myself if lopburi3 rec'd an email maybe there is some alert setting in ibanking that can be set which provides such notifications via email/SMS and I just don't have that alert activated.  I then checked my ibanking alert settings and all available alerts are activated...and none of them talk an alert for Terms and Conditions updates (see 2nd snapshot below).   

And by the way, today when logging on in way less than a minute of that logon I did get the email notice of the logon like it's is suppose to work....that is, get the notice almost immediately vs many minutes or hours later which has frequently occurred over the last few months with Bangkok Bank "ibanking."  However, their mbanking logon email notice has always been immediate while for some reason their ibanking notices have been quite often delayed over recent month...and my email is setup to immediately receive all emails.

1st Snapshot.  While Logging onto ibanking today/23 July.  I have logged on several times since 15 July and today is the first time seeing this....had to read and agree before able to complete the logon.

image.png.aa83f00717eaa941f9e551bc94232aa5.png

2nd Snapshot.  Alerts settings....all are activated....no alert setting for Terms and Conditions changes.

image.png.a91812532f7559104b0835f672ec24cd.png 

On 7/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, scorecard said:

says that internet banking is a nightmare to keep it secure, same as credit card banking

They are lacking know-how, that's why it's a nightmare. I once worked in a big corporate office and they gave me a desktop with windows XP to work with. That was in 2017! 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I never rec'd such an "email"....and I checked my Spam email folder also. 

I received the email few hours after had logged on and agreed to terms - was not an alert but just a hard copy PDF for file I suspect.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I received the email few hours after had logged on and agreed to terms - was not an alert but just a hard copy PDF for file I suspect.

OK....maybe the same will happen for me also since my ibanking logon a few hours ago is when the Terms & Conditions were displayed and I agreed to them in order to logon.  Maybe the bank then sends out a follow-on email a little later like a courtesy copy to remind you of what you agreed to.  I'll reported back if such an email shows up.

Edit: and I'm already reporting back.  I just noticed in the logon notification I got via email right after logging on and needing to agree to the Terms & Conditions that there was an attachment to the logon notification....that attachment was a copy of the Terms & Conditions.   I didn't even notice that attachment since logon notifications are almost always just a notification of logon without any additional info attachments....something you glance at...think, yeap that was me logging on...thanks for asking....and then you delete that notification.

here it wasn't via email just appears on the webpage after login.

interesting clause in there if the account is not used for 1 year it can be closed   there is then an  'or'  not enough funds to pay the  account dues.  But, note it is Not an  'and'  ,  I rarely use the account,  I guess  there is also the guess  if 'can'  means  'may'  ????

Archived