The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

During the day black white and teal flags sprouted through the streets of the Port. Around Wat Phraya Alberton it's so tense even the odd gusts of rain are subdued and not a stray dog moves. The wind is blowing an icy chill. Whole streets of houses are eerily dark. The music festival at Semaphore is like a half attended sideshow. Everyone wishes and no-one dares hope the Power will pull it off...

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the day black white and teal flags sprouted through the streets of the Port. Around Wat Phraya Alberton it's so tense even the odd gusts of rain are subdued and not a stray dog moves. The wind is blowing an icy chill. Whole streets of houses are eerily dark. The music festival at Semaphore is like a half attended sideshow. Everyone wishes and no-one dares hope the Power will pull it off...

I think a lot of our supporters are still coming to terms with

i) Port being in the big league

ii) The success we've had there.

Being Port supporters they expect nothing but else success but the legendary clubs we've beaten to achieve it puts a dream like quality on everything and it's as though we're expecting a wake up call. It won't come today though, this is the real world and it will be another real flag for the wall at Alberton.

You should post here more often, the thread need a few more people who know something about the game. :o

Edited by sceadugenga

Unfortunately the game didn't come up to scratch but we had a good day here at the UP2U bar in Ban Dung, 4 Aussies a Pom and a Greek. Drank the bar out of the popular beers and feasted on meat pies (not Big Bens but very good Bunters from BKK). As a little gambling is tolerated here in Isaan at funerals we took the opportunity to remember a very recently deceased Aussie friend with a few of the traditional wagers. Some may say we were stretching it a bit.

Well done the Cats and their enduring supporters. – 44 long years.

After 3 disappointing trips to the MCG in '89, '92 and '94 it's a wonderful result and I couldn't have hoped for better. Only I wish it had been WCE who got thrashed although Port fans are almost as obnoxious.

what do you mean almost, them and collingwood scum take the cake when it comes to obnoxious :o:D :D

After 3 disappointing trips to the MCG in '89, '92 and '94 it's a wonderful result and I couldn't have hoped for better. Only I wish it had been WCE who got thrashed although Port fans are almost as obnoxious.

what do you mean almost, them and collingwood scum take the cake when it comes to obnoxious :o:D :D

I wasn't going to mention anything about Collingwood but since you brought it up.....this is what Geelong achieved this year:

1. Brownlow Medalist

2. VFL premiership beating Coburg

3. AFL premiership thrashing Port with record breaking margin

4. Norm Smith Medalist

and all of this after beating the Pies to get in to the Grand Final. Could it possibly get any better ?

Well, maybe if it was Carlton instead of Collingwood.....

what do you mean almost, them and collingwood scum take the cake when it comes to obnoxious :D :D :D

I wasn't going to mention anything about Collingwood but since you brought it up.....this is what Geelong achieved this year:

1. Brownlow Medalist

4. Norm Smith Medalist

and all of this after beating the Pies to get in to the Grand Final. Could it possibly get any better ?

You seem to have trouble working out who you hate the most Sibey. :D

The one thing Eagles fans did after beating Geelong for the '92 and '94 flags was aknowledge the good opposition sides. The Cats were brilliant yesterday and they, and their coach, humble in victory. However, the fans showed why there is a strong dislike by the other states for Victorians. To boo the opposition captain at the presentation ceremony after winning the GF by 119 points is pretty low. :o

Congratulations Geelong, a great win by a great side. Anything else this year would have been a miscarriage of justice. :bah:

Chris Mainwaring dead at 41

Former West Coast AFL premiership player and media personality Chris Mainwaring has died in Perth, police say.

Police and the St John Ambulance were called to Mainwaring's home in the beach suburb of Cottesloe following a complaint he was yelling in the street at 11.45pm (WST) on Sunday. When they arrived, the 41-year-old was calm and refused help from the ambulance officers who left him in the care of a neighbour, police said.

St John Ambulance was again called to Mainwaring's home at 12.30pm where officers found him unconscious. He was taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later. Police will investigate the death and prepare a report for the coroner.

"Mainy", as he was affectionately known, was a brilliant footballer for the Eagles during their dominant years of the 1990s. He was a crucial member of the two premiership sides of 1992 and 1994 playing as a wingman who knew when to leave his man and join the forwards in attack. He was the type of player who could turn a game off his own boot with a flash of brilliance.

Mainwaring played 201 games, was a regular player for his beloved Western Australia and a two-time All Australian.

Off the field, he was known as a loveable larrikin, and there was no bigger name in Perth in his playing days. A few scrapes with the law were forgiven by his adoring public because "Mainy" was the man all blokes wanted to be their mate and most girls wanted to marry.

During his playing days he was an accomplished media performer and has been a presenter with Channel Seven in Perth for more than a decade. Mainwaring had been presenting the sports news on Channel 7 on weekends for five years.

His reputation as a party boy had been replaced as that of a loving husband and family man in recent years. He is survived by his wife Rani and two young children.

RIP Mainy. Talked to him once or twice, a great bloke!

There are suggestions he was depressed in recent times.

what do you mean almost, them and collingwood scum take the cake when it comes to obnoxious :D :D :D

1. Brownlow Medalist

4. Norm Smith Medalist

You seem to have trouble working out who you hate the most Sibey. :D

The one thing Eagles fans did after beating Geelong for the '92 and '94 flags was aknowledge the good opposition sides. The Cats were brilliant yesterday and they, and their coach, humble in victory. However, the fans showed why there is a strong dislike by the other states for Victorians. To boo the opposition captain at the presentation ceremony after winning the GF by 119 points is pretty low. :o

Congratulations Geelong, a great win by a great side. Anything else this year would have been a miscarriage of justice. :bah:

Could it have been the Port fans booing their captain at the presentation ceremony ?

I'd imagine the Geelong fans would be too busy celebrating at the time to even know he was on the podium.

As for hating other teams....we all have our favourite team(s) and we all have teams we love to beat. Sport's shouldn't be about hating other teams, simply that beating some teams is more satisfying than beating others.

I remember walking from the MCG back to Lou Richard's pub after the '89 grand final against Hawthorn (the game where Gary Ablett kicked nine goals and Dermott Brereton played almost the whole game with a broken rib). Hawthorn supporters were congratulating Geelong supporters and visa versa, well into the night. Lost count of how many shouts at the pub were bought by Hawks fans. This game has since been referred to as "the game of the century".

In contrast in '92 the WCE fans taunted Geelong supporters about being the first Victorian club to loose the flag interstate. Sure the WCE fans could be jubilant at being the first interstate club to win but it was very ugly all night and most unnecessary.

.....this is what Geelong achieved this year:

1. Brownlow Medalist

4. Norm Smith Medalist

It doesn't get much better than that.

A great finish to a fantastic season.

:o

.....this is what Geelong achieved this year:

1. Brownlow Medalist

4. Norm Smith Medalist

It doesn't get much better than that.

A great finish to a fantastic season.

:o

It does get better for Geelong. Joel Selwood won the NAB AFL Rising Star award as well.

Chris Judd has apparently selected Carlton as his next club. Not Collingwood, thank god! The team he used to follow, Melbourne, missed out because their facilities are crap. (A good example of how Melbourne is carrying too many teams. Some Vic clubs just can't compete with the rich interstate clubs who can afford the best of everything.)

Once upon a time the clubs used to select the player! :D

(Incidently, Judd's Perth house, about two streets from mine, sold on the weekend for an inflated price, as soon as it came on the market . Apparently fame can boost prices :o )

Edited by Old Croc

We are Geelong the greatest team of all......

The monkey's off baby!!!!

It's just a dam shame that many of the blokes that went clubbing in Geelong after the win had to act like a pack of di**heads looking for fights. Theres one reason why Thailands a better place to be!

Well done Cats!!! Could not have done any better.

breaking news, buckly has retired :o:D good old collingwood stuffed again :D

Rumour around Perth yesterday:

Cousins to retire! Caught with drugs in Broome, given the option to resign or be sacked.

(not confirmed)

he was with mainwaring before his death.

breaking news, buckly has retired :o:D good old collingwood stuffed again :D

Rumour around Perth yesterday:

Cousins to retire! Caught with drugs in Broome, given the option to resign or be sacked.

(not confirmed)

Still nothing on this anywhere that I can find :D

I'm certainly hoping this rumour turns out to be a fizzer and goes away.

I believe he went to Broome and was not at an Eagles function held in memory of Mainy but supposed to return for his funeral.

Edited by bdenner