The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

Is there a footy season this year? I haven't noticed the Eagles doing anything yet. :o

On a serious note: Graham Polak, Richmond player (former Docker) stepped in front of a tram after the game on Sat night. In a critical condition with head injuries. Induced coma.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An update:

Polak out of coma

Richmond footballer Graham Polak is unable to speak, but has managed to squeeze a doctor's hand in response to questions, the club's doctor said this morning.

Dr Greg Hickey emerged from the footballer's bedside to say while it was too early to comment on his long term recovery, Polak had showed some encouraging early signs.

The former Fremantle Docker has been in Melbourne's Alfred Hospital since he was hit by a tram in Melbourne on Saturday night.

Alfred Hospital trauma centre director Mark Fitzgerald said Polak was “doing very well” and this morning was brought out of an induced coma.

"He's continuing to improve, he's obeying commands this morning, we're reasonably happy with his progress," Professor Fitzgerald said.

"He's had quite a severe blow to the head. He was deeply unconscious at the scene and he has got some areas of brain injury on his scan.

"But he's a young person, he's very fit and we expect him to recover over the next few weeks. It will take some time before we can be absolutely positive of his complete outcome but he's doing very well."

Professor Fitzgerald said had the collision occurred in a more remote location, Polak's injuries could have been life threatening.

"I looked after him when he came in early Sunday morning, and he's doing a lot better than I expected," Professor Fitzgerald said.

"He was lucky that (the accident) was witnessed, that there were people quickly on the scene, that the ambulance officers attended and they were able to put him on a ventilator rapidly and that he was close to a trauma centre."

Professor Fitzgerald said it was too early to predict how long the 24-year-old would remain in hospital.

"Brain injuries, to a certain extent, are unpredictable . . . we just have to wait and see how he goes."

Polak's family and partner Alyce remain at his bedside this morning.

Dr Hickey said it was expected Polak would be in hospital for some time.

"Whether he will need a period of rehabilitation after that in some sort of other facility I'm not sure," Hickey said.

"Things are going to change very quickly over the next few days.

"Long-term, it's very hard to say - these things can take some months to settle down and get a clearer picture of where he's at.

"In terms of footy, it is unquestionable he won't play this season, longer term beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see."

Richmond football manager Greg Miller said on Sunday it was unclear whether alcohol was involved in the incident, but that wasn't a concern for the club.

Polak was crossing the intersection of Orrong and Dandenong roads at Armadale about 11pm (AEST) on Saturday when he was hit.

Team-mates Cleve Hughes and Jordan McMahon were with Polak at the time.

Polak has played 11 games for Richmond this season for a career total of 106.

He joined Richmond from Fremantle in late 2006 and last year finished seventh in the Tigers' best-and-fairest award.

Shit!

I just realised what I have done.. I stupidly booked my flights to come back to Thailand on September 7, which means I am going to miss the grand final, and obviously another cats premiership.. I knew there was a reason why I didn't want to leave until October.

Shattered! There better be a good bar and some good Aussie blokes to watch the footy with when I get there.

Dave.

Ps. Stoked I found this thread.

There better be a good bar and some good Aussie blokes to watch the footy with when I get there.

Go past Nana Entertainment Centre and check out the Bus Stop on Sukhumvit Soi 4, or try The Office in Sukhumvit Soi 33.

The Office has a really good Grand Final Day breakfast and live AFL final on TV.

There better be a good bar and some good Aussie blokes to watch the footy with when I get there.

Go past Nana Entertainment Centre and check out the Bus Stop on Sukhumvit Soi 4, or try The Office in Sukhumvit Soi 33.

The Office has a really good Grand Final Day breakfast and live AFL final on TV.

Awesome, thanks mate. Will stay in contact as we get closer to the date.

Dj.

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys,

anywhere i can go to catch the NRL........especially the finals!!

GO MANLY!!

This is the AFL forum not the NRL - Australianetwork carries the games and their website will show the game details. Not sure where you are located so giving details of bars etc that show the games each week of the season will be superfluous.

fyi the roosters beat manly 34 to 12

CB

Big weekend this one. Anyone who managed to correctly pick this week's results is either someone with incredible insight into the game or has absolutely no idea.

Results:

Haw 77 v Geel 88

Ess 128 v Coll 80

WCE 103 v STK 86

Rich 117 v BL 114

Syd 53 v Adel 77

Port 101 v Fre 129

Melb 70 v NMFC 98

WB 98 v Carl 126

CB

Massive win to the Cats over the Crows on Friday night - made a mockery of their much stated plan to bring it to the Cats - they did the handed it to them on a plate.

sigh

CB

I guess the crows still have a change don't forget we have eight teams in the finals I rather have a team from outsite Melbourne winning, any city, as long it is not a Melbourne team, unfortunately my

teams are on the bottom of the table :o Now I gave away where I come from. My prediction for this

years final is Geelong and the Crows,correct me if I am wrong, I don't get much information over here

So I can only guess, and the winner is ? Geelong :D

Massive win to the Cats over the Crows on Friday night - made a mockery of their much stated plan to bring it to the Cats - they did the handed it to them on a plate.

sigh

CB

I guess the crows still have a change don't forget we have eight teams in the finals I rather have a team from outsite Melbourne winning, any city, as long it is not a Melbourne team, unfortunately my

teams are on the bottom of the table :o Now I gave away where I come from. My prediction for this

years final is Geelong and the Crows,correct me if I am wrong, I don't get much information over here

The crows are enigmatic at the best of time but still my team. Depending on where you are in Thailand there are places that show the games on the Australianetwork channel (ABC Asia) They have been pretty good this year with the AFL, NRL and RL all getting good showings. Last year was terrible but this year has been a major improvement.

Currently Melbourne are bottom of the table so your comment is cryptic

CB

AFL Ladder

Round 17 (Updated Jul 27) P W D L F A % Pts

1 Geelong 17 16 0 1 1969 1298 152 64

2 Bulldogs 17 13 1 3 1980 1608 123 54

3 Hawthorn 17 13 0 4 1840 1495 123 52

4 Sydney 17 10 1 6 1605 1338 120 42

5 Kangaroos 17 9 1 7 1598 1634 98 38

6 Collingwood 17 9 0 8 1828 1611 113 36

7 Adelaide 17 9 0 8 1563 1472 106 36

8 Brisbane 17 9 0 8 1779 1690 105 36

9 St Kilda 17 9 0 8 1588 1578 101 36

10 Richmond 17 8 1 8 1781 1831 97 34

11 Carlton 17 8 0 9 1713 1785 96 32

12 Essendon 17 7 0 10 1686 1960 86 28

13 Port Adelaide 17 5 0 12 1607 1746 92 20

14 Fremantle 17 4 0 13 1517 1653 92 16

15 West Coast 17 3 0 14 1302 1940 67 12

16 Melbourne 17 2 0 15 1309 2026 65 8

hey guys,

anywhere i can go to catch the NRL........especially the finals!!

GO MANLY!!

This is the AFL forum not the NRL - Australianetwork carries the games and their website will show the game details. Not sure where you are located so giving details of bars etc that show the games each week of the season will be superfluous.

fyi the roosters beat manly 34 to 12

CB

sorry for that just thought there would be the more australians in this forum post, thanks for your help any way crow ^___^

we got a beating by roosters too many injuried players!! (excuse)

GO FREEMANTLE!

cheers ill check out the australianetwork website...

My prediction for this years final is Geelong and the Crows...

I reckon it'll be the Cats and the Hawks.

Hawthorn came very close on the weekend and they're the only team that is anywhere near close to matching Geelong.

Of course, I'm biased... :o

My prediction for this years final is Geelong and the Crows...

I reckon it'll be the Cats and the Hawks.

Hawthorn came very close on the weekend and they're the only team that is anywhere near close to matching Geelong.

Of course, I'm biased... :D

Earlier in the season the Dockers beat the Cats all day only to lose by a point at the death.

(I was happy with the result because I have no time for Freo these days :o )

sigh

CB

teams are on the bottom of the table :D Now I gave away where I come from. My prediction for this

The crows are enigmatic at the best of time but still my team. Depending on where you are in Thailand there are places that show the games on the Australianetwork channel (ABC Asia) They have been pretty good this year with the AFL, NRL and RL all getting good showings. Last year was terrible but this year has been a major improvement.

Currently Melbourne are bottom of the table so your comment is cryptic

CB

You dont have to rub it in CB. :D We are going so bad that Jim Stynes and Gary Lyon are polishing their boots. :o

The WCW and Dockers local derby hasn't started yet so these are the results for the weekend so far

STK 14.17 (101) vs POR 14.9 (93)

WBD 17.11 (113) vs SYD 14.13 (97)

GEE 20.14 (134) vs RIC 10.11 (71)

KAN 13.14 (92) vs BRI 11.18 (84)

ADE 13.16 (94) vs CAR 12.14 (86)

ESS 19.10 (124) vs MEL 17.6 (108)

CB

Fremantle 9.2 13.5 17.10 17.14 (116)

West Coast 4.1 6.6 10.7 12.11 (83)

Shaun Macmanus had a final day on the paddock with a comfortable win over the Eagles.

I didn't realise he is the last of the team's foundation players so an end of an era for he dockers.

CB

Results from Friday nights footy are good news if you are a cat's supporter but pretty tragic for the Melbourne Demons

Mel 41 v Gel 157

Geelong 8.5 12.7 19.10 24.13 (157)

Melbourne 0.0 1.3 2.6 5.11 (41)

I know that it is top taking on bottom but the difference is massive and indicative of the difference in skills. Geelong kicked 8 goals 5 behinds in the first quarter and Melbourne couldn't manage a single point. From there it went down hill for Melbourne with the Cats using the game as a training session. If it was like English Premier League football, next year Melbourne would be facing Coburg and Sandringham in the VFA, probably not likely to beat either of them. :o

:D

CB

CARLTON kept alive its finals' hopes with a thumping 66-point win over a disappointing Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Saturday afternoon.

CARLTON 4.7 8.16 12.22 18.24 (132)

PORT ADELAIDE 1.4 2.5 5.8 9.12 (66)

A BRILLIANT six-goal effort from Lance Franklin has helped Hawthorn shake off a determined Brisbane Lions side and record a comfortable 16.14 (110) to 5.11 (41) win in front of 19,929 fans at Aurora Stadium.

Hawthorn 1.3 3.7 7.11 16.14 (110)

Brisbane Lions 1.2 1.5 2.10 5.11 (41)

It was Shane Crawrford's 300th game

COLLINGWOOD has rebounded from a tumultuous week, holding off a convincing second half from St Kilda to win by 14 points at the MCG on Saturday night.

The result has kept the Magpies' finals hopes well alive and, with some irony, they leapfrog the Saints to take sixth place on the ladder with their 10th victory of the season.

Leading comfortably at every change, Collingwood powered home to win 14.13 (97) to 12.11 (83).

Collingwood 4.4 7.5 11.9 14.13 (97)

St Kilda 2.2 3.5 7.7 12.11 (83)

CB

ADAM Goodes kicked a career-best eight goals as the Sydney Swans revived their top-four hopes with a remarkable comeback win over Fremantle at the SCG.

Freo opened up a match-high 14-point lead with just nine minutes to play in the final quarter, but Goodes swooped twice in the dying moments and Barry Hall kicked the match-winner two minutes from time.

Luke McPharlin hit the post for Fremantle with the last shot of the game, as the Swans hung on to win by four points, 17.10 (112) to 15.18 (108).

Sydney Swans 2.4 7.6 13.8 17.10 (112)

Fremantle 3.5 8.8 10.13 15.18 (108)

CB

ADAM Goodes kicked a career-best eight goals as the Sydney Swans revived their top-four hopes with a remarkable comeback win over Fremantle at the SCG.

Freo opened up a match-high 14-point lead with just nine minutes to play in the final quarter, but Goodes swooped twice in the dying moments and Barry Hall kicked the match-winner two minutes from time.

Luke McPharlin hit the post for Fremantle with the last shot of the game, as the Swans hung on to win by four points, 17.10 (112) to 15.18 (108).

Sydney Swans 2.4 7.6 13.8 17.10 (112)

Fremantle 3.5 8.8 10.13 15.18 (108)

CB

Another great game of AFL. Could hardly watch the final minute, Sydney certainly needed that win.

Still I dont think anything will stop the Geelong jugernaught in 08

man they are good(felt sorry for poor old Melbourne)

NORTH Melbourne’s surge towards September has continued after it held off a fast-finishing Western Bulldogs by 20 points at Telstra Dome on Sunday to record its fifth consecutive win and made it two from two against the Western Bulldogs this season.

The Kangaroos 21.10 (136) defeated the Bulldogs 18.8 (116) to keep their outstanding recent record over the Dogs intact. The Roos have not lost to the Dogs since round eight, 2005.

North Melbourne 6.5 11.6 15.7 21.10 (136)

Western Bulldogs 2.3 5.4 11.7 18.8 (116)

Excellent game with a great result

CB

ADELAIDE is back in the hunt for a top four finish after a commanding 63-point win over Richmond at AAMI Stadium.

The Crows kept the Tigers to just the solitary goal in the opening half to be 54 points ahead by half time.

They went on with the job in the second half and recorded a 16.12 (108) to 6.9 (45) victory to celebrate Andrew McLeod's 300th game in style.

Adelaide 3.2 10.4 15.6 16.12 (108)

Richmond 1.3 1.4 4.6 6.9 (45)

CB who is happy that Adelaide Crows could do it right for Andrew McLeod who celebrated his 300th game with the club