British Prime Minister Johnson promises a bold new Brexit deal

webfact

4 hours ago, blazes said:

I strongly believe that Boris is misunderstood by all the hacks who are eager to see him fall flat on his face.  He is supremely well educated (you can't get much higher than a degree from Balliol, in the world even....and a degree in Greek and Latin or "Classics" at that!).  

A man that well educated will tend to be extremely aware of himself (and not in a narcissistic sense like others on the world stage)... and as a result will want to play down his brilliant mind by "acting the fool" a bit.  How, the haters will ask, can we take such a man seriously?  

But while he is acting the fool, he will also be planning some progressive move that will take his constituents forward a bit.  Formerly, those constituents were Londoners....now they are the people of the UK.

Is he able to grasp details?

Here's a quote from an article in the Spectator that may shed light on the subject:

People say he can’t ‘do detail’. But nobody spends four years studying classics at Oxford without the power to absorb and retain a mass of abstract information. The master of Balliol, Sir Anthony Kenny, used to teach Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics by quoting large chunks of it in the original and inviting his students to compare one paragraph with another. He spoke more Greek than English in his tutorials. 

It's all Greek to me, but not, I suspect, to Boris

Speaking ancient Greek will certainly be a good way to negotiate with the EU. Could perhaps even arrange some big Brussels subsidies for all those Brits who like to hang around the village square drinking ouzo & playing chess instead of doing a decent day's work.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

By modernization I think I did imply reequipping and retooling.

Not a great achievement for Thatcher but how many jobs do you think would have survived anyway?  

Perfectly sound question. Some jobs would have gone anyway, as you suggest, our manufacturing model was out of date. However - unusual as it is for me to speak up for British management, but they are not all self serving and stupid by any measure - however they never had a chance, the cost of borrowing money killed any chance of recovery and as you correctly say modernization. Tragically there were a whole generation of wonderful engineers etc, who were dumped as a result. Maggie's brain was too inflexible to understand the she had gone beyond fighting the Unions, to fighting British business. 

For those who after 99 times said , still have hope of opening renegotiating ,here the latest result after the B.J./Juncker phone conversation B.J.'s day 1 as P.M.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/25/brussels-throws-out-boris-johnsons-plans-to-alter-brexit-deal

Brussels repels Boris Johnson's quest for new Brexit deal 
Juncker said to have told new PM current agreement is the best and only one possible

Brussels has roundly rebuffed Boris Johnson after he laid down tough conditions for the new Brexit deal he hopes to strike over the summer.

Speaking to the House of Commons for the first time as prime minister on Thursday, Johnson reiterated his campaign pledge of ditching the Irish backstop and promised to ramp up preparations for a no-deal Brexit immediately.

“I would prefer us to leave the EU with a deal,” he said. “I would much prefer it. I believe that it is possible even at this late stage, and I will work flat-out to make it happen.

“But certain things need to be clear: the withdrawal agreement negotiated by my predecessor has been three times rejected by this house; its terms are unacceptable to this parliament and to this country.”

In a phone call later in the day, the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, signalled the EU27’s determination to stick with the deal negotiated with Theresa May’s government – which includes the backstop.

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Clearly you've never negotiated anything. My opening gambit when presented with some position or other by the other side is to say "I don't think so". And it goes from there until we get a settlement that we're both happy with or we walk away

After so many trials there should be a final understanding about what is possible or not  ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Well after 3 trials of the WA in the HoC some of us realize that it's not.

And that is part of the understanding that it is not possible to get an understanding and both get ready for the final cut ,and each prepare for the least damage ,....and not keep dragging on forever 

no deal brexit is touted by many commentators,admittedly not british.....possibly the only way out of this mess if he wants a decision before oct. 31 st....and to get that through a hostile parliament he may have to have a snap election.Remainers voting for lib dems,no one voting for labour,and conservative leavers the only one's voting tory.That leaves the brexit party to clean up the rest and boris will have to have some deal with farage when a vote is finally pushed through parliament to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thasoss said:

no deal brexit is touted by many commentators,admittedly not british.....possibly the only way out of this mess if he wants a decision before oct. 31 st....and to get that through a hostile parliament he may have to have a snap election.Remainers voting for lib dems,no one voting for labour,and conservative leavers the only one's voting tory.That leaves the brexit party to clean up the rest and boris will have to have some deal with farage when a vote is finally pushed through parliament to leave.

Perverse situation is that even U.K. parliament does not approve leave  ...1 November you are out of E.U. by default automatically following A50 ….. unless U.K. ask (and get..?) extension , and I think your P.M. can not be forced to ASK for extension (?) 

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

Perverse situation is that even U.K. parliament does not approve leave  ...1 November you are out of E.U. by default automatically following A50 ….. unless U.K. ask (and get..?) extension , and I think your P.M. can not be forced to ASK for extension (?) 

Yes we can't wait to leave whatever. I wonder if you still pay taxes in Holland, as you might be paying more as there is a big hole to fill with contributions. Hopefully the price of fish for your country will treble, as your country along with others, have been raping the UK seas for far too long.

https://marinedevelopments.blog.gov.uk/2018/09/27/mmo-fisheries-statistics-2017-eez/

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes we can't wait to leave whatever. I wonder if you still pay taxes in Holland, as you might be paying more as there is a big hole to fill with contributions. Hopefully the price of fish for your country will treble, as your country along with others, have been raping the UK seas for far too long.

https://marinedevelopments.blog.gov.uk/2018/09/27/mmo-fisheries-statistics-2017-eez/

The sad thing is that you actually believe all this tosh.

6 hours ago, vogie said:

And if it means giving our country to others to rule us as they think fit, I guess that doesn't matter to some as long as there're £3.50 a week better off.

who else is going to rule it ? Look at the shower in Parliament now and for the last 30 years, the only PM who was a real leader (Maggie) destroyed what industry we had left. Let the EU rule it, they own most of the UK silver anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Aarch !….another rant to us E.U. ….while I just ease your minds saying the solution is near and will be out of that damned E.U ….unless Your own politicians can find a way to force your PM with a bayonet at his back to go and as another extension in line …..even when a G.E. is in the make still a extension must be asked as E.U. has no legal means or option to give whiteout be asked .

Just now, david555 said:

Aarch !….another rant to us E.U. ….while I just ease your minds saying the solution is near and will be out of that damned E.U ….unless Your own politicians can find a way to force your PM with a bayonet at his back to go and as another extension in line …..even when a G.E. is in the make still a extension must be asked as E.U. has no legal means or option to give whiteout be asked .

Interesting read here from the TIMES. I have also noticed on the media which is a bit like subliminal messaging and is completely wrong. The UK is not leaving Europe, it is leaving the EU something totally different.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-fears-no-deal-will-lock-sides-in-a-brexit-cold-war-2s3qqghzf

5 minutes ago, fishtank said:

The sad thing is that you actually believe all this tosh.

I am trying to work out which old poster you are. Obviously someone who talks nonsense. Maybe you can't read but the link shows you exactly how much EU countries take from the UK waters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

who else is going to rule it ? Look at the shower in Parliament now and for the last 30 years, the only PM who was a real leader (Maggie) destroyed what industry we had left. Let the EU rule it, they own most of the UK silver anyway.

You have lived in Germany too long, have they impregnated you with the EU bug, there still maybe time to do something about it.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Interesting read here from the TIMES. I have also noticed on the media which is a bit like subliminal messaging and is completely wrong. The UK is not leaving Europe, it is leaving the EU something totally different.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-fears-no-deal-will-lock-sides-in-a-brexit-cold-war-2s3qqghzf

Has nothing to do in the reassurance I gave you to be out on 1 November ….unless ...unless your OWN government play you brexiteers a dirty trick in your back …..?not us...!

For the moment Brexit is driving on automatic gear

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

You have lived in Germany too long, have they impregnated you with the EU bug, there still maybe time to do something about it.

I like the bug the way it is, you can't live too long in Bavaria, it's brilliant.

8 hours ago, blazes said:

I am sure your wife, like mine, is one of the best women in LoS, but what the eff has this got to do with Boris's misadventures in the female department.  

But of course, I forget....a mind already made up (for whatever moronic reasons) about Boris (or indeed any human being) is never going to be changed.

Just like your crazy Tory brokered Brexit dream even when all the facts are on the table you still want to jump over the cliff and take the rest of us with you. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I will try and decipher what you are saying. Have you been on the sauce. As I have said many times good luck with Germany pulling your strings which it seems that you have been happy to do, for such a long time. We in the UK have tried that club, it isn't for us, so good luck.

What is annoying is when foreigners keep telling us what a mistake we are making and how much we will regret it. I don't have the arrogance to tell others in their country, what they should be doing. it isn't my business or do I watch parliament and politicians, scrutinising. It would be pretty weird and creepy to do that.

Oh …,I go end this reply's as I only telling you you go have what you want very soon in +/- 90 days , that is all..... it is even the automatic gear from A50 who give you that so wanted freedom !....or am I missing something ...are you regretting it is near …..

Our mourning period U.K. leaving is over ...

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

But you have hit the nail on the head, you like the way it is, but Brexit is not all about you, it's about honouring the referendum where the majority of the country voted to leave, I'm sure you will still be able to get your Swartzwald kuchen when we leave, Bettys in Harrogate do big portions.????

I'm sure Brexit is about many things, honouring the referendum being one for some people. 

But the majority of the country did not vote for leave. 

So far all Brexit has delivered is a drop in the value of sterling, the departure from the UK of businesses and jobs, and the most rightwing government in living memory. The latter being pause for thought for all those 'Labour voters' who we are told voted Leave. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

But you have hit the nail on the head, you like the way it is, but Brexit is not all about you, it's about honouring the referendum where the majority of the country voted to leave, I'm sure you will still be able to get your Swartzwald kuchen when we leave, Bettys in Harrogate do big portions.????

The small majority of those who voted. Schwarzwald by the way, I'll have to give Bettys a miss, haven't been back for 48 years, I don't intend to start now. You don't want the EU giving directives (with British agreement) but you will allow the USA to give them (without British agreement). You aren't suspicious that both America and Russia thinks brexit is a good idea? 

• Like 1