Alcohol sales on July 28th and 29th

Maca

The Late Kings birthday, December 5th. was always a no alcohol day. However, they do not seem to be applying that rule with the new King. I know in Hua Hin things can change by the hour, so Wife and I are waiting for a message from our local plod !!!

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

The Late Kings birthday, December 5th. was always a no alcohol day. However, they do not seem to be applying that rule with the new King. I know in Hua Hin things can change by the hour, so Wife and I are waiting for a message from our local plod !!!

I do not agree, some places did not serve alcohol but officially I don not think it ever was.

1 hour ago, loong said:

You remember differently to me. It may have been a dry day many years ago.

I used to fly in from Saudi at the beginning of December, nearly always landing on 5th. December, to be greeted by dry bars in Bangkok. This happened to me over several years, True that it was a few years ago, but that that far away as I still remember it ...

For those that do not remember the ban for the Kings Birthday, and also the Queens Birthday, both celebrated as Fathers Day and Mothers Day, I post this link for your perusal,

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/do-you-know-all-the-no-alcohol-days-in-thailand/

Admittedly, it may not happen now, but it Did happen a few years ago.

Thank You.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

For those that do not remember the ban for the Kings Birthday, and also the Queens Birthday, both celebrated as Fathers Day and Mothers Day, I post this link for your perusal,

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/do-you-know-all-the-no-alcohol-days-in-thailand/

Thank You.

The article by keyvisa is in fact incorrect. Alcohol has been allowed on Royal Birthdays for years now.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

No it wasn't.

1 hour ago, Mascetti said:

Well if anyone is so concerned about missing a couple of drinking sessions, it's best to stock up in advance. Make emergency plans, just in case.  Alchohol !!

yes, whats the issue?  its not wasted funds as u will drink it anyways....

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thank You.

So how is that relevant now and on this thread?

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So how is that relevant now and on this thread?

Jesus some people are so pedantic........Relevance is........read carefully...........KINGS BIRTHDAY.....and re your earlier post, yes it was, on 5th. December some years ago bars were closed......

Now, as I have much better things to do with my time I will refrain from replying to any more wind up comments on this thread.

Good day to you.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:40 AM, Maca said:

Does anyone know if alcohol will be sold on the 28th and 29th July, will 7-11's be serving?

The night clubs where I live (in LoS) plan to be open – and sell alcohol – so probably also 7-Eleven from 5 pm until midnight...????

7 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

It often depends on which province that you live in or even what city you live in within that province and what they bosses say today may not apply tomorrow.  The good 'ol mom & pop places don't care one way or the other!

Live in the city and most places enforce dry-days.  But, in the back-waters like Klong Toie you can probably find a drink.
Out in the villages surrounded by rice fields where the cops only show themselves at symbolic road-blocks on Songkran and New Years - nobody cares.  You can buy rice whisky or a beer just like any other day,  just as you can between 2 to 5 pm.  Rural Thailand rolls on with it's own set of rules. 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Many bars may have chosen to close on 5 December to allow their staff to celebrate HM's birthday. I doubt that is likely to happen now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, the bars will probably not make Dec 5th a holiday any longer.  But an older generation of Thais will keep "Father's Day" on Dec 5th alive until that generation dies out - and that will take awhile.  Rama 9 had a huge influence on a large swath of the Thai population.  And it's definitely Father's Day in our house-hold.  Just ask the wife and kids.

Yeah, the bars will probably not make Dec 5th a holiday any longer.  But an older generation of Thais will keep "Father's Day" on Dec 5th alive until that generation dies out - and that will take awhile.  Rama 9 had a huge influence on a large swath of the Thai population.  And it's definitely Father's Day in our house-hold.  Just ask the wife and kids.
I've heard that 5 December is going to stay as Father's Day, possibly forever. But no reason for it to be an official dry day. It's not and never has been a Buddhist holiday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

No it wasn't. There was a year can't remember when, many years ago, tsunami year I think 2004, but apart from that imibe at will.