Thinking about using an agent this year

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's all smoke and mirrors. rulez.gifIf you think using an agent is legal then good luck if things go tits up.

It is all smoke and mirrors here wrt what is legal or not, or if that is even relevant. 

What if, what if. An IO apparently has the authority sign off on seasoning requirements at his/ her discretion.
Following year, use an agent again.
Yours isn't available, use another. 
Why would you sit in front of an IO at all?
Your agent is less capable or works in a region less 'flexible'....BUT apparently she had no problem breaking the law before the post seasoning requirement. came into effect... how did SHE previously handle the pre-seasoning 3 month requirement?

Getting an Extension in Pattaya yet living in Phuket is stupid!

I'm not saying that breaking the law won't work sometimes. But you cannot rely on it. Years ago I gave my passport a couple of times to an IO who took it to Malaysia to get it stamped and charged me a few thousand Baht. Illegal of course, but it worked. But then Bangkok immigration came down to Phuket and busted him and he lost his job and the tourists who had given him their passports at the time he was busted were fined and deported. So yes things will work sometimes and sometimes they wont. What you do is entirely up to you. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, trd said:
18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
What if, what if. An IO apparently has the authority sign off on seasoning requirements at his/ her discretion.
Following year, use an agent again.
Yours isn't available, use another. 
Why would you sit in front of an IO at all?
Your agent is less capable or works in a region less 'flexible'....BUT apparently she had no problem breaking the law before the post seasoning requirement. came into effect... how did SHE previously handle the pre-seasoning 3 month requirement?

Getting an Extension in Pattaya yet living in Phuket is stupid!

I'm not saying that breaking the law won't work sometimes. But you cannot rely on it. Years ago I gave my passport a couple of times to an IO who took it to Malaysia to get it stamped and charged me a few thousand Baht. Illegal of course, but it worked. But then Bangkok immigration came down to Phuket and busted him and he lost his job and the tourists who had given him their passports at the time he was busted were fined and deported. So yes things will work sometimes and sometimes they wont. What you do is entirely up to you. Good luck!

It has been going on for a long time and the numbers are not small. Having your passport take a border run without you  is a more blatant fraud. What you talk of is very old news there. But actually, I don't use an agent, I leave 800k in the bank all year round and do my own Extension. But one day I may have to.

It has been going on for a long time and the numbers are not small. Having your passport take a border run without you  is a more blatant fraud. What you talk of is very old news there. But actually, I don't use an agent, I leave 800k in the bank all year round and do my own Extension. But one day I may have to.
I think you are saying you may have to because you don't want to tie up 800k in the bank. That's a valid point. Some may say, well that 800k is still your money, but it's not really your money if you can't spend it. That 800k is basically the price for staying here and I resent it.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, moontang said:

I would start the process over again, and you would have 2 years for your currency to come back...meaning obtain new OA in home country, but of course the requirements are different everywhere.  I would go to Kalorama or LA, if I were in those jurisdictions.

Nobody know where Kalorama is...why didn't you just say Thai Consulate, Washington, D.C. ?

11 minutes ago, mosan said:

Nobody know where Kalorama is...why didn't you just say Thai Consulate, Washington, D.C.?

If you don't know where it is, then it obviously doesn't apply to you.  How many thousand times has Hull been mentioned on TVF.?

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Smoke and mirrors. So you've seen it then? Anyone else seen the letter obtained by an agent?

It would seem likely as being the reason the money gets deposited at all.  I was told of one guy who had to go to a particular branch and pick it up himself. It is surprising the banks will issue letters willy nilly to any Sombat or Somboon, Tuk or Tum, who requests one in the name of Tom, Dick or Harry!

13 minutes ago, moontang said:

If you don't know where it is, then it obviously doesn't apply to you.  How many thousand times has Hull been mentioned on TVF.?

I'm just talking, in general. And just because somebody else does it wrong doesn't mean you have to also.  By the way, I haven't a clue where Hull is, but without doing a search, I'm guessing it's in the UK.  Many folks here have trouble writing a complete sentence or thought... 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It would seem likely as being the reason the money gets deposited at all.  I was told of one guy who had to go to a particular branch and pick it up himself. It is surprising the banks will issue letters willy nilly to any Sombat or Somboon, Tuk or Tum, who requests one in the name of Tom, Dick or Harry!

I don't think they issue letters willy nilly, I suspect there is a bit of Bahty Bahty involved.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

good agent does it all, you don,t need to know.

Of course they do it all. Said sarcastically. If they can cut corners to make more money then the corners will be cut and you'll never know. Smoke and mirrors.

3 hours ago, mosan said:

I'm just talking, in general. And just because somebody else does it wrong doesn't mean you have to also.  By the way, I haven't a clue where Hull is, but without doing a search, I'm guessing it's in the UK.  Many folks here have trouble writing a complete sentence or thought...

I could have said, Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC to make you and your partner happy, but that would have been incorrect, as Consular Services is on the other side of town, in Kalorama, and it could really ruin your day if you went to the wrong place. 

13 minutes ago, moontang said:

I could have said, Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC to make you and your partner happy, but that would have been incorrect, as Consular Services is on the other side of town, in Kalorama, and it could really ruin your day if you went to the wrong place. 

You could of written at the consular section of the embassy in Washington DC.

In reality IMO writing only Kalorama is bit on the short side since it is street in Washington DC.

"2300 Kalorama Rd. N.W.,
Washington, DC 20008"

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could of written at the consular section of the embassy in Washington DC.

In reality IMO writing only Kalorama is bit on the short side since it is street in Washington DC.

"2300 Kalorama Rd. N.W.,
Washington, DC 20008"

It is the name of a part of DC, that also has a street with that name.  Is it necessary for me to correct the five plus errors in your three sentences? 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is surprising the banks will issue letters willy nilly to any Sombat or Somboon, Tuk or Tum, who requests one in the name of Tom, Dick or Harry!

I guess someone there, like at Immigration, gets a brown envelope from the agent at the end of the month. Christ, this is the land of greased palms. In fact, tea money is prevalent throughout Asia, although maybe not too much in Singapore...... I dunno. Why get too excited about it -- overall, it seems to facilitate matters.

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Well just so you know, I just happen to have a Non Immigrant O-A from the Thai Consulate there, and I never set foot in the place.  Did it all from the comfort of my home city in Florida through the mail.  My comment was all about giving others a clue where the place was instead of playing the "I know something you don't know" game....  Which everybody seems to love to do on these forum pages.

4 minutes ago, mosan said:

Well just so you know, I just happen to have a Non Immigrant O-A from the Thai Consulate there, and I never set foot in the place.  Did it all from the comfort of my home city in Florida through the mail.  My comment was all about giving others a clue where the place was instead of playing the "I know something you don't know" game....  Which everybody seems to love to do on these forum pages.

There is no Thai Consulate in Washington DC.  Perhaps, you bought a fake. 

21 minutes ago, moontang said:

There is no Thai Consulate in Washington DC.  Perhaps, you bought a fake. 

Yes, there is no consulate per se -- but as with most embassies, the Thai Embassy in DC has a "consular office." And, yes, it is in the Kalorama district of DC, where Obama bought a house after being evicted by Trump.

Consular Office of Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, D.C. is located at 

2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W. Washington, D.C 20008-1623.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The pre-seasoning requirement was technically allowed to be waived by a senior immigration officer, and gave agents the freedom to operate with impunity for many years. The bank book requirement wasn't ignored - the money was definitely deposited, just the seasoning period was overlooked with immigration's blessing. Dodgy or not, it's been acceptable for years. 

The new post-seasoning requirements have no such escape clause. To waive the checks on these makes a mockery of the new system immigration has brought in; it's anyone's guess as to how they're going to explain this away, and we won't know until the end of 2019 at the earliest. This will be the first time an agent is tasked with trying to get round the lack of evidence of post-seasoning monies in a person's account, and there's no way this can stand up to any kind of scrutiny. Agents claiming it will all be ok and business as usual are simply cashing in up front and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The new post-seasoning requirements have no such escape clause. To waive the checks on these makes a mockery of the new system immigration has brought in; it's anyone's guess as to how they're going to explain this away, and we won't know until the end of 2019 at the earliest. This will be the first time an agent is tasked with trying to get round the lack of evidence of post-seasoning monies in a person's account, and there's no way this can stand up to any kind of scrutiny. Agents claiming it will all be ok and business as usual are simply cashing in up front and hoping for the best. 

My response is that the new post-seasoning requirements do not need an escape clause as there is no obligation to follow up on them. Jomtiem, among a few others, is implementing a 3 month post-check, one that it presumably brought in on it's own volition.  It is not being required of people obtaining agent assisted Extensions. (I have read only one or two examples of this, another response is again, the agent takes care of it). At this time we do not know what will happen at next Extension application. Will post seasoning requirements (evidence) be checked? It is not a written requirement, and just as likely to be forgotten or overlooked or bypassed. An opportunity was there to write it into the repeat extension requirements, but it is not!

The previous situation could not actually stand up to any serious scrutiny  during application, and a guy with a thick wad in his back pocket is not likely to be too serious. Interesting times, but the agents are well established, as is their systems within immigration. 

Edited by jacko45k

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is not a written requirement, and just as likely to be forgotten or overlooked or bypassed. An opportunity was there to write it into the repeat extension requirements, but it is not!

If it's not enshrined in written law, then sure, it can be brushed under the carpet in future. But if so, it makes a mockery of immigration's announcements that they will check. We won't really know how things pan out until after the event. 

58 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Dodgy or not, it's been acceptable for years. 

Is that cuz tea money is paid to overlook the seasoning period? Which currently stands at 15,000 Baht at Buriram immigration. So with tea money being paid then ones extension can only be illegal.

And I'm sure it won't be long before post seasoning gets a price on it to be overlooked. Obvious innit?

Edited by IvorBiggun2