Thinking about using an agent this year

Yes of course  just put in the required time before

Agent in all probability will use a bank account opened   by her/him specifically for the visa so it wont effect your accounts

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

Yes of course  just put in the required time before

Agent in all probability will use a bank account opened   by her/him specifically for the visa so it wont effect your accounts

Not disputing your theory.

I think it works more on the loop hole that higher up personal can waiver that requirement. More experts can advise. 

Even if you could get a decent agent for 20,000 THB ... (Think closer to 25,000) ... all that to "save" 6,768 THB?

Wait until next year when immigration asks you where you live, and why you used a service 800 KM from your home.

Enjoy that.

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not disputing your theory.

I think it works more on the loop hole that higher up personal can waiver that requirement. More experts can advise. 

speaking from experience mines does as they work with bank to get paperwork 

Suppose bank gets a cut as well!

Anyway its your personal choice some people  agree its easier and better...... obviously as on here some dont

Edited by poohy
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Even if you could get a decent agent for 20,000 THB ... (Think closer to 25,000) ... all that to "save" 6,768 THB?

Wait until next year when immigration asks you where you live, and why you used a service 800 KM from your home.

Enjoy that.

I doubt it would be. Maybe in CW but not the regional offices. A couple of years ago due to a communication misunderstanding when I was asking about the requirements the IO thought I wanted to pay for the Visa and sent of copy of my passport in a line message to the head officer in preparation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

speaking from experience mines does as they work with bank to get paperwork 

Suppose bank gets a cut as well!

Anyway its your personal choice some people  agree its easier and better...... obviously as on here some dont

The trend is to an ever tightening system that is targeting people without the proper bank reports, address reports, etc.  If people have the funds ... they should just do it the most legal way, and enjoy a worry free sleep.  Let me tell you, it is bone chilling experience to have an immigration officer ask you to explain the exact process and location you used to get your visa ... when it is all written in Thai.  Not looking to have a go ... just sharing some first hand advice.

2 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

I doubt it would be. Maybe in CW but not the regional offices. A couple of years ago due to a communication misunderstanding when I was asking about the requirements the IO thought I wanted to pay for the Visa and sent of copy of my passport in a line message to the head officer in preparation. 

This was at CW ... not a great day ... for sure.

3 hours ago, grego49 said:

Its a lot less than 20,000 baht and you people that sit he and judge others should get a life,its not a problem but you key board warriors really need to get over it.

Self-appointed judge and jury.  I have seen lots of self-appointed US constitution experts who won't get a para-legal job with their opinions. 

6 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

The trend is to an ever tightening system that is targeting people without the proper bank reports, address reports, etc.  If people have the funds ... they should just do it the most legal way, and enjoy a worry free sleep.  Let me tell you, it is bone chilling experience to have an immigration officer ask you to explain the exact process and location you used to get your visa ... when it is all written in Thai.  Not looking to have a go ... just sharing some first hand advice.

Nah. It will never happen. The Agent system involves the signatues of IO officers at various levels some high enough to waive normal procedures.  The Agents are just a front for the IO.A buffer. But since BJ left its all more chill and blatant. Paying 25k proves your wealth combined with a permanent address.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

So say I use an agent for say 20k baht and hope the £ recovers a bit next year are there any consequences. Will I be able to do normal extensions again with my own money?

The pound seems to be on a one way trajectory right now - in a few months time those 38+ rates might look high.

The risk with an agent in the current climate is that it's no longer just about seasoning money before getting the extension. An agent facilitated extension used to be a one-stop deal, but the new rules now involve post-extension seasoning as well (3 months at 800k, and a residual 400k). With these much more specific new requirements, it's anyone's guess what immigration will want to see (and agents will want to charge) for a subsequent extension in 2020 where those post-seasoning requirements haven't been met. There have been reports recently about agents losing their connections and having to process things through offices in different provinces, and when you're considering 90 day reports and TM30s on top of this as well, there's lots of potential for things to go wrong.

With regard to reverting back to your own extensions in future, this should be possible if you import the money prior to the extension next year. You'd likely be tied in to doing the 2020 extension with an agent, but would then meet the requirements to do your own extension in 2021. The same would be true of bringing in the minimum 12 months income if switching to that method. 

• Like 2

I need to top up my bank account to 800k within the next week but the bad UK £ exchange rate is giving me second thoughts. If I add 400k at today’s rate of 38 (or even worse as it’s sinking like a brick today) it will cost £10,500. A few months ago at 41 it would of cost £9700. So say I use an agent for say 20k baht and hope the £ recovers a bit next year are there any consequences. Will I be able to do normal extensions again with my own money?

i agree, with the poor exchange rate which may take years to reverse, buying 400k or 800k means you are locking in a bad exchange rate. Better to just use an agent. 12,500 baht if you have an extension already, 21,000 if not. To switch back to legit method using 800k would probably need you to start the process again i.e non imm o then retirement extension or 800k for a full year before extension.

A friend used an agent for one year because he cocked up his extension paperwork, he switched back to legit method the following year easy enough. New rules around the 800k now though

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

An agent facilitated extension used to be a one-stop deal, but the new rules now involve post-extension seasoning as well

The old rules required 3 months pre-seasoning which was completely bypassed. I do not see why post -extension seasoning should not be similarly treated. 

An issue could be that when you apply for a new extension, your previous years compliance may be reviewed or verified. If you had bypassed it using an agent, you are going to have to do it again! (As you highlighted previously) 

The only way out of this enforced illegality would be to start again (maybe) with a new Non-Imm-O. 

Edited by jacko45k

The only way out of this enforced illegality would be to start again (maybe) with a new Non-Imm-O. 

Or 800k in a bank for a year.

You could ask yourself, won't immigration notice the following year, yes they probably will but they are all in on it anyway so no big deal
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Or 800k in a bank for a year.

You could ask yourself, won't immigration notice the following year, yes they probably will but they are all in on it anyway so no big deal

Yes, you are correct, although 14 months would have been better still! (It could be 400k for 7 of them maybe). 

once you start with an agent ,you will always need use one as the agent wont leave 800,000 in your bank after you get your extension.

nor leave 400,000 in for the remainder of the year

so your at their mercy if they wish to charge you next year 25,000...30,000...40,000

• Like 1

once you start with an agent ,you will always need use one as the agent wont leave 800,000 in your bank after you get your extension.
nor leave 400,000 in for the remainder of the year
so your at their mercy if they wish to charge you next year 25,000...30,000...40,000

Not true based on earlier posts
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you don’t want hassle or risk of getting denied, or just don’t want to wait in line, an agent is the way to go.

It’s a small price to pay for convenience and peace of mind.