Move to Cambodia - would your Thai wife go?

simon43

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I asked my Thai girlfriend if you wanted to go to Cambodia for a vacation.

This is what she said. "Cam-boo-de-ah people bad. No like Thai people. Cannot."

Then she's an insular xenophobic racist with no interest in expanding her mind nor experiences.

Dump her and get a new one.

I know that's not difficult for a stud like you.

Great taking Thais to the Royal Palace and museums in PP, showing them the maps of the Khmer empire back in the 12-13th centuries.

Yep, that's Chang Mai, Lampang, Udon, Khon Kaen, BKK, all in the land of Khmers...

Cannot understand anyone, inc Thais who would not want to visit Angkor.

My missus was just gobsmacked by it all. Because the world, let alone Thailand aint got anything like it.

I would also say the promenade riverfront in PP where the two mighty rivers meet impressed her more than anything the Chao Praya in BKK gives off.

• Like 1

A friend set up a business in Cambodia and rented an expensive villa in a gated community in Phnom Penh, so that Thai wifey would join him there.  She loved the villa and agreed to everything including international school in PP for their kid.  Within three months my friend was rattling around the villa alone during the week and commuting to visit wife and kid in Bkk at the week-ends. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I asked my Thai girlfriend if you wanted to go to Cambodia for a vacation.

This is what she said. "Cam-boo-de-ah people bad. No like Thai people. Cannot."

I took mine to Siem Reap. Flew in for 2 days.

She is I would say above average looking and petite.  The Cambodia males were absolutely obsessed with her.

Very obvious their eyes and chatter constantly asking me where she from?  Or, she Thai?

Otherwise we had a nice time. But move there? No way ever.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

A friend set up a business in Cambodia and rented an expensive villa in a gated community in Phnom Penh, so that Thai wifey would join him there.  She loved the villa and agreed to everything including international school in PP for their kid.  Within three months my friend was rattling around the villa alone during the week and commuting to visit wife and kid in Bkk at the week-ends. 

Plenty of Khmer girls ready to move in.

• Haha 1

I stay where my Thai wife stay.

I receive 25% more pension because I am married and we are dealing the same residence address.

If we have a different address,  we will both receive 50% of my actual pension.

Same residence address doesn't mean we have to be constantly there together.

My wife like to travel, but not constantly live in another country other than Thailand.

I think a lot of these opinions about Cambodia are outdated preconceptions. A lot has changed in the last years, and Cambodia is developing faster than Thailand in many areas.

The young generation in the cities, especially Phnom Penh, speaks English much better than the young generation in Thailand, and is more open and friendly. 

Education is taken much more seriously than in Thailand. Many invest in going to English language schools. If you study Computer Science at the Royal University in Phnom Penh then you must be fluent in English, all lessons are English only, and there is no "no fail" policy. The students there actually learn something.

The young guys the ISP sends to install your Internet and router know what they are doing and can explain it to you in good English.

The roads are improving fast, for example Poi Pet - Siem Reap - Phnom penh is now an easy drive.

There is still a lot to improve, and the power cuts are quite annoying, but throw away your preconceptions: Cambodia is in many areas already easier and friendlier than Thailand.

13 hours ago, 4evermaat said:
  • Fiber internet that's pretty good (200+Mbps down on the basic plan)

May be not as fast, but improved dramatically in the last years and working fine, 10-60M. Online TV such as TeatimeTV.to is no problem. I recommend Sinet.

• Mobile phone coverage from at least one of the carriers (if you are near the "main road").

Mobile Internet everywhere, Smart, Metfone, and more. Tested and working.

• well banked, with ATMs, CDMs et. all over as well as alternative methods to pay most bills (mobile apps, convenience stores, etc)

ABA has an excellent mobile app, easy to pay for utilities, internet, and more. Easy to get debit cards. Also virtual cards from ABA, Wing, Paygo are available through mobile apps. Easy and working.

11 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

I think a lot of these opinions about Cambodia are outdated preconceptions. A lot has changed in the last years, and Cambodia is developing faster than Thailand in many areas.

The young generation in the cities, especially Phnom Penh, speaks English much better than the young generation in Thailand, and is more open and friendly. 

Education is taken much more seriously than in Thailand. Many invest in going to English language schools. If you study Computer Science at the Royal University in Phnom Penh then you must be fluent in English, all lessons are English only, and there is no "no fail" policy. The students there actually learn something.

The young guys the ISP sends to install your Internet and router know what they are doing and can explain it to you in good English.

The roads are improving fast, for example Poi Pet - Siem Reap - Phnom penh is now an easy drive.

There is still a lot to improve, and the power cuts are quite annoying, but throw away your preconceptions: Cambodia is in many areas already easier and friendlier than Thailand.

May be not as fast, but improved dramatically in the last years and working fine, 10-60M. Online TV such as TeatimeTV.to is no problem. I recommend Sinet.

Mobile Internet everywhere, Smart, Metfone, and more. Tested and working.

ABA has an excellent mobile app, easy to pay for utilities, internet, and more. Easy to get debit cards. Also virtual cards from ABA, Wing, Paygo are available through mobile apps. Easy and working.

There is nothing in there that would convince a wife to go which is the title of thread. 

i guess mine is different ????    she says she would go anywhere with me.   i think having me is security enough for her.   I have no "contract" with her or monetary agreement..... but she will be taken care of and she trusts me for that.  Never talks about money at all. 

I asked her about Kamin people and she doesn't really know but has heard bad things.  So I assume many Thais feel that way.  Still, would go if I wanted to.   Which I don't

• Like 1

As a regular in Cambodia I can say my other half would NOT move there. Been there, seen the temples, done it. Also, food choices as well as the selections of fruit and veg is not popular with her.

Doesn't mind the Cambodians but thinks they are a bit ' sneaky ' which is pretty ' rich ' coming from her!

Laos of course, a different story but wouldn't leave her mother anyway. Fits in well with them all.

Going to the UK next week, which she enjoys, especially the shopping and Thai people in our city, but is always happy to come back after three weeks to mother, the dogs and the farm.

Me, I like Cambodia by myself for maximum five days then I want back to Thailand. The expat scene there is very ' eclectic ' and I have friends living and working there.

On a footnote, I do know somebody who has done this.

They run the Crocodile Bistro in Siem Reap and the gentleman I believe is Belgian, his name is Werner, with a Thai wife-who does the cooking of Thai food but oversees Cambodian cooks as well.

They have a successful business, or it was last time I was in. It is on the river but slightly out of town.

From what I have seen on Facebook and speaking to them directly, they seem reasonably happy.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297390-d3365043-Reviews-The_Crocodile_River_Bistro-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html

Edited by Scouse123

Not a chance she would follow me, except on holidays only. Do not think Thais would like to relocate to such a country, and I do not think she would like to go to Vietnam or Laos either. Any place in Europe she will follow for sure. Never asked her, but this is how I think she is thinking. 

If I said Im moving with you or without her, she would come, but Im sure it would not be any good to our relationship. 

1 hour ago, rumak said:

i guess mine is different ????    she says she would go anywhere with me.   i think having me is security enough for her.   I have no "contract" with her or monetary agreement..... but she will be taken care of and she trusts me for that.  Never talks about money at all. 

I asked her about Kamin people and she doesn't really know but has heard bad things.  So I assume many Thais feel that way.  Still, would go if I wanted to.   Which I don't

One thing is what she say, but what she want, is what you have to know! That is the tricky part when it comes to have a lady. You should know all her needs, without asking or her telling you ????

• Confused 1

On 7/26/2019 at 11:30 PM, giddyup said:

She'd be happy to move to Oz with me, but Cambodia no. Nor would I expect her to. She loves me because I provide her with money and security.

wow. at least you're honest lol

3 minutes ago, suz123 said:

wow. at least you're honest lol

It is an illution, that any woman would choose any man out of pure love. Whats love to a woman, if the man can not get the food on the table or provide security? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Agree totally... after 2 visits to USA and before the 3rd time, I asked my wife where she preferred to live - US or Thailand... she scrunched her face - she didn't quite get the question - "wherever you are," she answered...

That said, romantic love like in your 20s is a fleeting thing... we have been together near 20 years now and love changes, in many ways deeper through time. Being stable, reliable, there in emergencies to help family, are important factors... my wife would not want to live in Cambodia, but neither would I... she would probably come to USA but I know she loves being in Thailand ad living in the village with her family... and being a caring husband, I do my best to make sure she can do that... 

that is the answer one would expect from most wives who have real love for their partners

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Providing money and security is all part of love in Thai culture. We have been together 9 years, but if I lost everything tomorrow I'm sure she's stick by me. She's 56 and I'm 77, so puppy love is no longer an option.

56 and 77? if you became penniless, you really think she would stay?

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

100% She'd be happy to support me. You don't know me, my partner, or the feelings we have for one another, so you can't possibly judge.

i think you have a fare point, there are good ladies in Thailand that are not with farangs just for money however they are very few descent ladies around, i think important not to fight above ones weight when looking for a good partner like so many farangs do here then they wonder why the girl was only with him for his money. 

6 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i think you have a fare point, there are good ladies in Thailand that are not with farangs just for money however they are very few descent ladies around, i think important not to fight above ones weight when looking for a good partner like so many farangs do here then they wonder why the girl was only with him for his money. 

There's still 20 years difference in out ages, but it's not like she's some air-headed teenager, she's sensible, caring, a workaholic, a great cook, and easy on the eyes. I lucked out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There's still 20 years difference in out ages, but it's not like she's some air-headed teenager, she's sensible, caring, a workaholic, a great cook, and easy on the eyes. I lucked out.

20 years is a good age gap compared to some you see around when the girl looks young enough to be the guys grand daughter.555

• Like 1