Pentagon approves Stryker infantry carrier vehicles sale to Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, NightSky said:

Meanwhile its an under statement to say that the nearest hospital to my mother in laws local village in Northern Thailand is somewhat lacking in facilities..

..just saying.

Military have the power

They have the money

Don't forget the thai 

army motto :

"For the Nation, Religion, Monarchy and people".

The people is the last thing they think about. 

5 hours ago, NightSky said:

Meanwhile its an under statement to say that the nearest hospital to my mother in laws local village in Northern Thailand is somewhat lacking in facilities.

..just saying.

Total agree with you but you could probably add that logic to most nations. 

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

5,401,574,257.26 Thai baht,  black hole that is just so unnecessary to be spent when you add on all the infrastructure that has been ear marked to be built, common sense in reining in spending that the future generations are going to have to pay back.

Obsolete mind set in fighting any war or invaders these days, drones can be purchased 

at a fraction of the cost and can be flown from a safe position, being able to release grenades and high explosives, will be the norm, now we have more wastage by this government, just like the failed air ship that the military just want to brush under the carpet and hope it will fade into a lost memory.  

Should have invested in actual sewage treatment 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Utter stupidity in this purchase. Where are they planning to transport troops that need that much fire power and protection. Sheesh!

Wheeled Armoured Personnel Carriers are much more practical than tracks in an urban environment. 

A .50 Calibre machine gun, which can be fired remotely by a gunner who remains inside the vehicle under protection, and which can be elevated to a high angle, is remarkably effective for engaging people on top of buildings.

Sixty vehicles is about five companies worth - say one reinforced battalion. Not much for defending the country but jolly useful for putting a bit of a punch into a coup...

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

With China  putting a hell of allot of money in Cambodia  and probably Burma  and then i expected  loas

Maybe Thailand  doesn't  want fo fully give  in to China but i just  a wild guess 

Plus they have the deep south  with the border  of Malaysia  with never ending conflict

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

If they wanted to invade Cambodia in the dry season, they'd work.  Or safely transporting a high-value VIP like Yingluck. I've seen a few similar types at a US Marine Corps exhibition, and they are HUGE!  But with all the armor, the passenger area in back is tiny.  Might be OK in BKK floods of perhaps 2 meters.  A 90 million Baht SUV. 

Could of bought British me thinks - cheaper and right hand drive too

What year is this?

Countries lacking in normal facilities nationwide. Is this to be used as a dental van, mobile doctor for elderly and forgotten?

Oh, is this why the ฿ is strong? To buy cheap gay toys????

Well atleast the government is offering 5o pay mothers of new children 3000thb per month. Need more future target practice i guess because i dont see any other need for these stupid things unless its for crowd control!

Didn't this douche government buy a bunch of similar stupid things for crwod control from china? Saw many on the road recently all brand spankn new.

$175 million US would go along way in Thailand what is the purpose of all this military equipment as far as I know Thailand has not been at war for many many years . I can only think that they could be used if there is another planned change of Government 

“ Out with the old In with the new “ 

Well, Xmas is earlier this year it seems. 

On a more sombre note, these vehicles might come in handy once the sh1t hits the fan and this is to happen anytime soon - bets are taken on that one. This country will be seeing a civil war of a proportion it never saw before once the have-nothings, get-nothings and unable-to-learn-nothings stand up. 

The French turned it into their "fête nationale" - read up the historical background of 14 July 1789. The difference to today is, that they did not have "stryker" vehicles at that time! Chilling days ahead if these vehicles are ever put to use; due to the lack of foreign enemies they will have to be used against domestic issues. Sad days ahead! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

drones can be purchased 

at a fraction of the cost and can be flown from a safe position,

Point well taken and I agree. But with dones you cannot show up anywhere in the middle of the night with soldiers, knock on the the door, as it were, and have you way. With these babies no problemo, you can. Secure an area in your city or province without fear your soldiers/police will get pelted with whatever is available, roll up on an alleged human trafficking ring in the jungle, easy peasy. I won't even mention the endless possibilities they can be used for in drug busts.

In America now, today as we live and breathe many police departments have modified versions they have been using for some time now. L.A., Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, MIami and more all have them. Sooo these modified tanks have many more nifty uses than what they appear to have on the surface. You can even launch drones from them. Wanna be in a position to pounce on bad guys quickly, take a bunch of drones, put them inside, drive to your target location, set your drone surveillance area for .5 km around of you and once you 'nab' them they'll be like 'holy smokes how'd they get here so fast??!!!

It seems like the integration of military grade equipment into social management here has just morphed.

As Bob Dylan sang in the 1960's "The Times They are A Changin"

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

If they wanted to invade Cambodia in the dry season, they'd work.  Or safely transporting a high-value VIP like Yingluck. I've seen a few similar types at a US Marine Corps exhibition, and they are HUGE!  But with all the armor, the passenger area in back is tiny.  Might be OK in BKK floods of perhaps 2 meters.  A 90 million Baht SUV. 

And keep in mind, that price is with a volume discount!!

"On paved roads the vehicle can attain speeds of 62 mph without a governor and 37 mph with a governor."

Maybe it's only for the transport of government officials..    555

• Haha 1

Astounding!

Wake up, peanut gallery!

Thailand, always a reliable ally of the Murikins, didn't pay a dime for these things. 

The Great Dragon to the North is being sent a message.

Duh! Little is as it seems on the surface. 

47 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

$175 million US would go along way in Thailand what is the purpose of all this military equipment as far as I know Thailand has not been at war for many many years . I can only think that they could be used if there is another planned change of Government 

“ Out with the old In with the new “ 

Thailand is at war right now in the far south provinces, I do believe.