Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

I think a GE is out of the question for the near future, many Brits will now be on holiday abroad or going in the next few weeks, I am sure they will not be happy when they find out how weak the pound is...

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I think a GE is out of the question for the near future, many Brits will now be on holiday abroad or going in the next few weeks, I am sure they will not be happy when they find out how weak the pound is...

Parliament is in recess until September.

Also, is there time for a snap-election before October 31st?!

Sorry for my British friends. But Brexit is not smart and never will be. Your biased against the EU and immigration lies are costing you big time in the pocket book. Who wants to own a small island currency in a global world? Why do you think you are so special just because of being born British. And given your world history you have created many enemies. Brexit is arrogance madness at the highest level.  Stop the madness or see your currency worth less and less until it becomes an afterthought currency behind the dollar, euro and rmb. Would rather buy the peso than the pound.  

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

Probably he go make a " Boris turn "... and ask for extension by reason of calling a general election 

1 minute ago, Wake Up said:

Sorry for my British friends. But Brexit is not smart and never will be. Your biased against the EU and immigration lies are costing you big time in the pocket book. Who wants to own a small island currency in a global world? Why do you think you are so special just because of being born British. And given your world history you have created many enemies. Brexit is arrogance madness at the highest level.  Stop the madness or see your currency worth less and less until it becomes an afterthought currency behind the dollar, euro and rmb. Would rather buy the peso than the pound.  

As a French, I couldn't agree more with this post, specially the "you have created many enemies" bit.

Up yours brittons!

I'm from the UK and the bottom line is that the "financial market's" have woken up to the fact that "Boris The Bear" will NOT bow down to the "Euro" and "Brussels". He is the "Best" PM the UK have seen in 10 decade's! Rest assured he will deliver on Brexit and put the word "Great" back in front of "Britain" again and the "Currencies Market's" will be bewildered and shocked as they see the real and the true strength of the "British Pounds" and the mite of the small island soon to known again as "Great Britten"!????

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I would be interested in what would be the driving force behind such a thing and  what level do you see the US Dollar-Baht level while this is going on.  IMO a Brexit deal will help the Pound and Dollar and Euro but  unless Thailand  allows it's central bank independence- it can only get worse.  The Thai Central bank is doing nothing  to help /

Less of a driving force than a normal rebound or reset, once this Brexit issue is settled one way or the other, after the uncertainty, fear, speculation and sentiment subsides. The Thai Baht eventually will lose strength too, due to the export pressures on this strong currency of a strong exporter. The USD/THB rate will probably not change much for a year or two. Much will also depend on the dollar and how much it may fall, if the Fed starts cutting rates (as is expected to start this week).

A Brexit deal or even strong rumours of one will would boost Sterling immediately but threats of no deal or an actual no deal will drive Sterling much lower (all in the short or near term) as we saw right after the vote. But after any hard Brexit shock, I see the Pound rebounding strongly within a year. If we stay in the EU as a member or as a vassal state, my view is that the Pound will be worth less, in the long term, than if we leave completely.

All MOO of course. No links or free games.

8 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

I'm from the UK and the bottom line is that the "financial market's" have woken up to the fact that "Boris The Bear" will NOT bow down to the "Euro" and "Brussels". He is the "Best" PM the UK have seen in 10 decade's! Rest assured he will deliver on Brexit and put the word "Great" back in front of "Britain" again and the "Currencies Market's" will be bewildered and shocked as they see the real and the true strength of the "British Pounds" and the mite of the small island soon to known again as "Great Britten"!????

Don't panic ????   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0lOtdvqyg&feature=youtu.be

17 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

As a French, I couldn't agree more with this post, specially the "you have created many enemies" bit.

Up yours brittons!

Got to love the French mentality, surrender at the first sign of trouble. Got short memories too.   

Btw, it's British, not "brittons"

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

Parliament could be recalled at anytime...

We have a by-election on Thursday, another to be called in September in Sheffield Hallam a constituency held by the LibDems from 1997 to 2017, with Nick Clegg getting 53.4% of the Vote in 2010, sure these two by-elections could kick start a LibDem revival.

29 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

ell, uncertainty could be easily removed by giving up the plan to leave as EU will not re-negotiate the deal including the backstop. 

How can they give up the plan to leave- it was a vote and the majority have voted to leave.  If I was the EU, I would renegotiate and if they refuse- I wouldn't be paying the EU anything.  I have to assume Boris will be negotiating separate economic deals as quickly as possible and telling the EU all about them. The message being- we're ready to leave- better renegotiate  while you have a chance or get nothing.

The EU needs  a UK that will co-operate economically .  The EU's big mistake was to expand  and allow countries with marginal economies into the mix.

5 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

Got to love the French mentality, surrender at the first sign of trouble. Got short memories too.   

French resistance.................. one of my favourite oxymorons.

the thai government wont take this into account and meny long time good people will be kicked out of the country , the average thai earns under 10,000 baht a month  , the average single pensioner from Australia brings in , Aus dollar 22,100 dollars a year , over 40,000 a month , when the baht  was HIGH 33.21 THAT COVERED THE REQUIREMENTS TO STAY of 65,000  baht  a month ,  this amount is 5.5 more than most Thais earn, many of there pensioners sold up and brought condos but that don't count but should ,I have  one property worth 7.5 million baht , but I have to show 800,000 in a thai bank .if your married  then  you  are fine with the pension alone , as its 400 thousand plus  . and the 22,100 Australian pension covers that .how meny  good people who spend a great deal of money here , will be booted out over the exchange rates , how many  friends and family will stop coming to Thailand each year for each  pensioners you  boot  out ? I know one who  has 24 that travel every  year  here for a month to  see there grandfather . how many baht will the country lose  if he leaves and moves else  were ,not counting the 400 thousand he spends a year .the Thai government  ,  need to relook at the value pensioners are to  the country, and it economy ,I know  I have spent  over 35,000 million baht  in Thailand, in the over 12 years I have been here , so we are not a burden to Thailand.

3 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

As a currency trader, I expect the pound to fall dramatically in the 2-3 days after the 31st. Once the initial panic passes I expect common sense to prevail and the pound will recover to pre referendum rates within a year. 56-58 baht.

It's worth the short term pain in the long run.

Excuse me??

What do you base a return to pre-referendum levels on?

Hopium??

You can't be a very profitable currency trader

3 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

As a currency trader, I expect the pound to fall dramatically in the 2-3 days after the 31st. Once the initial panic passes I expect common sense to prevail and the pound will recover to pre referendum rates within a year. 56-58 baht.

It's worth the short term pain in the long run.

Which 31st...July or October?

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Which 31st...July or October?

It will be 31st October - UK got a 6 month extension due to failing to leave by 31st March as planned. 

Looks doubtful that can be met even if a no-deal scenario arises due to Parliamentary opposition. 

1 hour ago, MarkyM3 said:

UK imports more from EU than it exports to the EU so how are we more dependent on the EU? 

UK is one of the few significant net contributors to the EU budget. 

Free movement - why would the UK give free movement to EU citizens if not reciprocated? 

I might go on

Well if you import more or export more does not change anything as the cost will be more expensive anyway. There is no chanse that Brexit, in what ever way it happen, will lower the cost without breaking common bussiness manners.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

Not expats - Britons. The Euro and other western currencies are also low, but hasn´t fallen more than 30% like the GBP. Britons, say "thank you" to the Brexiters. And it will become worse for you. 

All currencies are down even the Swiss franken which might be a stunner.

Waiting it out is the best options. The THB cant be forever raising against the major currencies. I remember the times in 1998 when the GBP was my basic salary on an expat package bu thats a long time ago.

7 hours ago, khastan said:

You are all lucky! My UK pension has gone down from over 34000 baht before brexit to now today 26000 baht and from April 6th next year if the exchange rate continues to fall I will be lucky to get 17000 baht a month.

Don't bring it all in then easy solution

51 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

How can they give up the plan to leave- it was a vote and the majority have voted to leave.  If I was the EU, I would renegotiate and if they refuse- I wouldn't be paying the EU anything.  I have to assume Boris will be negotiating separate economic deals as quickly as possible and telling the EU all about them. The message being- we're ready to leave- better renegotiate  while you have a chance or get nothing.

The EU needs  a UK that will co-operate economically .  The EU's big mistake was to expand  and allow countries with marginal economies into the mix.

Nonsense. 

The EU needs a European UK, but not a clownish governed devided country. 

Also..... the payments to EU will not end. 

There are soo many projects initiated and started in the past. If this would stop immediately UK would lose a lot of money.... Not only it's face (that happened already). I'm talking about Airbus, GPS, and joint venture in military, science, engineering aso. 

If Boris likes gambling it will harm the country only. Boris will walk away same way as his buddy Cameron, whistling a nice tune.... 

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What you get when the nation (UK) gets hoodwinked and taken over by a bunch of right wing lunatics, who have no idea what they are doing and rely solely on hyperbole, bluster and outright bs

That's cos the Euro is doing ever so well against the Baht.  It's the only currency that has yielded a greater return against the Baht in the past year.  ????????????????

Archived